It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:26

Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 08 May 2020, 10:28 • #1926 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
That's some interesting looking material for sure.
Thanks for sharing the details of this new material with us,always nice to get the hands on knowledge.
I'm Liking the rugged look of the materiel,looks like it would stand up to abuse.
Your reel seat is a great choice as well for rugged use.
Thanks Again For Sharing,Your Work Is Always Exceptional !
Tight Lines And Rugged Use Loops
Andy M

Post 08 May 2020, 17:43 • #1927 
Master Guide
Thanks, Andy, you are very kind!

Tight lines,

Vlad

Post 08 May 2020, 21:59 • #1928 
Glass Fanatic
Vlad - always love your stuff - always different, sometimes steam punk.....

Thanks for sharing!

Post 09 May 2020, 11:32 • #1929 
Guide
This is my first build and I learned a lot. For example, there is nowhere in my apartment
that is sufficiently dust free and the lighting is terrible for pictures.
I wanted to test the waters as to whether or not this would be something I would enjoy,
so I picked up an inexpensive Aventik blank online. The components are a mixed bag of
salvaged guides and Proof parts. Nylon thread in "chesnut" coated with spar varnish for the
wraps. The grip is a preformed "Ritz" that I slightly modified. As you can see, the varnish got
away from me here and there, but the rod casts straight and I'll do better next time.
The GK-42 balances right on the hook keeper, and will serve well for my intended uses. (Which
include urban ponds, brooks, and bogs. I always wonder if there's anything lurking in the local
cranberry canals.)
As I picked up most of the knowledge that went into this project from this very thread, any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Post 09 May 2020, 12:58 • #1930 
Glass Fanatic
Well done ! KISS methods enable a lot of good builds to be done in small quarters where there is no room or even desire to have a specialized workspace. In case you haven't seen it, here's a "dust free" tip. But unless you have indoor cats, you can close a door gently and leave the place for a few hours without much of a dustup like would occur afterwards if the cat were left in charge. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64928&p=340265&hilit=dust+shower#p340265

Post 09 May 2020, 14:08 • #1931 
Administrator
Gaultheria wrote:
For example, there is nowhere in my apartment that is sufficiently dust free

I use a 'portable closet' that I purchased from a home goods store. I can set it up when I need it and store it when I don't. The closet has space for a few projects at a time.

Quote:
I always wonder if there's anything lurking in the local cranberry canals.

I'm not sure we want the answer to that question...

Tom

Post 09 May 2020, 17:52 • #1932 
Guide
Rod looks good, especially for a first attempt. Looks like a good match with that reel and hope to see some on the water shots in the future.

Post 09 May 2020, 21:37 • #1933 
Guide
Plenty on the bench right now including a number of projects for myself I have been putting off. Now with COVID isolation I finally have time to get around to these including: a 10' hollowbuilt cane trout spey/switch rod from a blank by B. Morrow that has been sitting half-finished for quite some time and an 8'6" hollowbuilt Penta Payne 204 taper by W. Mann that has also been stashed away for a few years.

Most of my work is restoration/repair of cane rods and right now that includes a couple of vintage Goodwin Granger rod (an 8642 and a 9050 Special) repairs.
One of the most difficult restorations is matching original Granger Green wraps used on many of the Specials, but I think I finally nailed a way to do this (see new wraps on snake guide and original wraps on stripping guide on top). Just need another coat of varnish followed by some sanding/polishing.

More relevant to this forum, I have finally decided to build out an original (CTS made) Epic 686 3pc blank in rare mocha color that I ordered many years back. This is my first non-cane rod that I have ever finished. This particular rod will be used for drifting the Bow River in Calgary for trout and wading some of the other larger rivers throughout western Alberta and B.C.

I will say upfront that green is my favorite color and a majority of my personal rods are wrapped in some sort of green or olive colored silk. In this case I used some vintage Utica/Gudebrod #565 dark lime green 2/0 for main wraps tipped with Kimono #302 Origami and included Kimono #351 Midori green tags at ferrules and signature wraps.

I really like how the green wraps work with brown rod blanks and have admired the work Shane has shown of this combination in his posts.

Now I just need a few more coats of varnish and I'll be done. I have to say I really enjoyed finishing this glass rod and I'm already planning for several more glass builds. Perhaps the next one will be wrapped in some color other than green. :lol

Post 10 May 2020, 07:42 • #1934 
Glass Fanatic
Gaultheria wrote:
This is my first build and I learned a lot. For example, there is nowhere in my apartment
that is sufficiently dust free and the lighting is terrible for pictures.
I wanted to test the waters as to whether or not this would be something I would enjoy,
so I picked up an inexpensive Aventik blank online. The components are a mixed bag of
salvaged guides and Proof parts. Nylon thread in "chesnut" coated with spar varnish for the
wraps. The grip is a preformed "Ritz" that I slightly modified. As you can see, the varnish got
away from me here and there, but the rod casts straight and I'll do better next time.
The GK-42 balances right on the hook keeper, and will serve well for my intended uses. (Which
include urban ponds, brooks, and bogs. I always wonder if there's anything lurking in the local
cranberry canals.)
As I picked up most of the knowledge that went into this project from this very thread, any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Culvert Special! I like that! Nice job on the build!

Post 10 May 2020, 07:43 • #1935 
Glass Fanatic
Eastslope, green is good! Nice build!

Post 10 May 2020, 10:58 • #1936 
Master Guide
I like the green too. Great job!

More Green! Slowly working on a W&M All American. Decided to just re-build the rod using all the original guides and spacing rather than modernize it. New coats of MOW spar on the blank, original wraps appeared to be wrapped with Granger Green thread so I stayed with that color. Almost done, just need to varnish the wraps and fill a few holes in the grip.

Post 10 May 2020, 15:08 • #1937 
Guide
Paramount, nice wraps. What color preserver are/did you use with your Belding Corticelli parakeet thread?

Post 10 May 2020, 18:55 • #1938 
Master Guide
Thanks Eastslope,

I used Al's Color Rite on these wraps. I tried using clear Lacquer at first on a couple of test wraps but didnt like the result so I used Al's. Just applied a thinned coat of spar on just the stripper wraps and had some bleed through >: Have to re-wrap again! Sometimes I just hate Color Preserver!

I like your trout/spey too. That would fish great on my home river the Deschutes!

Post 10 May 2020, 20:33 • #1939 
Guide
I use about 4-5 coats of Al's prior to varnishing the wraps and no bleed through except once in a while dipping cane rods. The Epic I did above is 4 coats of Al's followed by 50% diluted Epifanes marine spar which is still quite amber. For my next glass rod I am going to experiment with several exterior 'spar' urethanes including Minwax, Varathane, and Armor Coat spar urethanes. Seems many on here use exterior urethane for wraps as opposed to traditional tung-oil phenolic (or phenolic-alkyd modified) resin marine spar.

As for the trout spey, I actually used the same Utica/Gudebrod #565 dark lime green silk with dilute spar for dark green transparent main wraps tipped black. Quite a different appearance from the CP'd wraps on the Epic.

Post 11 May 2020, 15:09 • #1940 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Re; GREAT TO SEE NEW CONTRIBUTORS !!!
What a difference a day makes let alone a weekend,Welcome to all you new comers to Fiberglass Fly Rodders,It's Great To See You Found Your Way Here.
The Weekends Belong To My Better Half, However I Occasionally Drop In But Have No Time To Linger.

Getting back to where we left off with Vlad.
Yes the Syncork web site I found was very informative,it included a great clip on how to bond and shape the materiel,also had a store where you can purchase the materiel for any of us whom might want to give Syncork a try on our next war horse rods.Vlad you should add a link to Syncork to our list of materiel suppliers at the top of the Rod Tinkers Forum.

Had to look up "Steam Punk", I'll have to Design A Rod Suitable For "Maximilian Meen" & "Professor Fate" :lol My Favorite Steam Punks !!

Hello Ben.
Nice job all around on your "Culvert Special".
I'm very pleased that information you gleaned here contributed to helping you put together such a nice rod.
My Son lives and works on one of the islands,occasionally I either meet the boat or take the boat to visit with him.every-time I drive by the cranberry bog's the same question comes to mind.Wonder What Fish Are In There ??
Be sure and let us know if or when you find out !!

Our first rods that we craft are our roots that we grow from,your first looks amazing ! based on those roots I see truly outstanding creations in you future.If you contact me by PM I'm be happy to send a rod makers gift your way. :P
Keep up the good work. A Tip "A Clean Shower" or "Bathtub" is the most dust free place in the house. :)
It was the place I always recommended to my students concerned with dogs and cats with dusty messy spaces.

Hey Whirly Good Advice !!

I use an old Glass Faced Gun Cabinet converted into a drying cabinet,if the rods wont fit I hang them from the rafters to dry.
Minor imperfections after the varnish is fully set will rub right out with some thumb friction.
On a sunny warm day the sunlight bakes the finish outside especially good when painting blanks.
Avoid Micro Managing Fishing Rods !! ;)

Quote:
cjtarbox
Rod looks good, especially for a first attempt. Looks like a good match with that reel and hope to see some on the water shots in the future.

A Belated Welcome To FFR ! I Couldn't Agree More With Your Comments About Ben's Covert Special.
Looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you here.!!
Quote:
Eastslope
Plenty on the bench right now including a number of projects for myself I have been putting off.finally have time to get around to these including: a 10' hollowbuilt cane trout spey/switch rod from a blank by B. Morrow that has been sitting half-finished for quite some time and an 8'6" hollowbuilt Penta Payne 204 taper by W. Mann that has also been stashed away for a few years.

Most of my work is restoration/repair of cane rods and right now that includes a couple of vintage I will say upfront that green is my favorite color and a majority of my personal rods are wrapped in some sort of green or olive colored silk. In this case I used some vintage Utica/Gudebrod #565 dark lime green 2/0 for main wraps tipped with Kimono #302 Origami and included Kimono #351 Midori green tags at ferrules and signature wraps. rod (an 8642 and a 9050 Special) repairs.
One of the most difficult restorations is matching original Granger Green wraps used on many of the Specials, but I think I finally nailed a way to do this (see new wraps on snake guide and original wraps on stripping guide on top). Just need another coat of varnish followed by some sanding/polishing.

More relevant to this forum, I have finally decided to build out an original (CTS made) Epic 686 3pc blank in rare mocha color that I ordered many years back. This is my first non-cane rod that I have ever finished. This particular rod will be used for drifting the Bow River in Calgary for trout and wading some of the other larger rivers throughout western Alberta and B.C.

I will say upfront that green is my favorite color and a majority of my personal rods are wrapped in some sort of green or olive colored silk. In this case I used some vintage Utica/Gudebrod #565 dark lime green 2/0 for main wraps tipped with Kimono #302 Origami and included Kimono #351 Midori green tags at ferrules and signature wraps.

Hey Nice Bit Of Work You Have Going On Your Bench !,Welcome To FFR ! Glad To See You Sharing Here, I Quoted your comments so I could read them as I recognized and responded to them,It's A Good Habit To Get Into To Take The Time And Recognize The Previous Posters Contributions Before We Share Our Own.
This Curtsy Keeps The Topic Flowing And Everyone Interacting In Kind.

Hope you don't mind,Please understand I only edited out the mention of our current unmentionable situation per board rules.

I'm always busy with at least one Bamboo rod project on my benches as well,you mention quite a few your working on,is there one that your fixed on finishing currently or are you jumping from one rod to another ?
Some of these rods look like projects that you have recently finished rather than current projects or am I confused ?

The work looks and sounds to be well executed,thread matching can lead to madness,however matching threads is an addiction of mine,you can wonder through boxes and draws of thread for hours,full days can be spent color matching tinting finishes and staining threads.

My Comment above about avoiding micro managing is no jest.

Green yes Green is a Good Color one of my favorites as well,funny I just purchased a bunch of green thread last week off the auction site for a mini rod series I'm planning.
Wanted to make sure I had thread enough to do 20 rods.

Thanks again for sharing what you have going on your bench I truly enjoyed the process and pictures we love pictures,I'll get back to you again it seems before I'm caught up with everyone's post since my last.

Driftless
Good To See Your Aboard !!

paramount51
Welcome To You As Well ! Seems the thread and color preserver has been gone over,your Thread Work Looks Flawless !,I Really Love The Weave Of That Early Fiberglass.
Those original guides look like new,the rod was in good well used condition when you found it I presume ?

Never heard of Al's color preserver I've seen and tried more color preservers than people would believe.
The trick is to be patient,letting the color fixative material fully set/dry/cure before you add your top coats especially when using the dip or dribble methods.

Quote:
Seems many on here use exterior urethane for wraps as opposed to traditional tung-oil phenolic (or phenolic-alkyd modified) resin marine spar.

I'm rather diverse when it comes to finishes,the type of rod I'm working on or making often dictates the finish chosen.
The Depth Of The Rod Makers Here May Surprise You,You May Pick Up A Few Tips As Well. :lol

Okay I'd say That about brings us up to date,last Friday finished stripping the blank on the H.I. 8'6" 3/2 Impregnated Cascade bamboo rod.
My goal last Friday was to get the H.I. Cascade blank sections stripped and shellacked and ready for a new grip and reel seat.
Between phone calls and my wife asking me to take care of a few things it didn't happen.

I'll get the blank in primary finish before I call it a day today.

Decided to go with a R.L. Cap and Ring reel seat from Ray,The Insert has a green emerald look and the grip choice will surprise you as well.
I'm going to wait until the work starts to share more.Think Green !
Yes as with the 9' Cascade Green will be the base color.
Managed to get the 8' 3/1 Old Yankee Blank wrap ready on Friday ,did the new guide selections sizing and spacing as well, that was a fun process,The rods ready to wrap just need to hand work my guide feet tonight,early start tomorrow,hope to have the rod in finish by Wednesday morning if nay sooner.
The 8' 3/1 4/5 Weight Graphite.
My #3 this week is a run over from last week,I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do with this rod.
Part of me wants to do a full on Restoration,The other side of my brain wants to strip the blank,and do A Complete Remake with some re tapering,add some double walled reinforcements in some key areas,dump the ferrules and make some plastic unions,yes unions .
A restoration will need new badging so I'll need some help with those decals,the rods not all that amazing with the original 5 guides on a 6'6" rod.
I Could Do A Rebuild and re space and size the guides to get the best from the blank.
One things clear I need to put this one aside and pull another from my multiple wrap ready projects to fill the # 3 spot this week.

Here's a shout out Anybody that's got a good decal program that's willing to help me please contact me in the PM I've got really good stuff to trade for good decals.
If I can source the decals that will help me make the Restoration Commitment.

It's funny as I was just hammering away my wife called down to me letting me know the postman brought a package today !!
It's from my friend it's a fishing rod he recently purchased from the auction site,it's a bamboo fly rod with a loose ferrule.
I agreed to LOOK AT IT. Famous Last Words :lol
I've Gotta Go Look At It Now, This Might Move Into the #3 Spot this week as a favor for a dear friend.

Thanks Again Everyone For Sharing,Welcome Again. :eek :lol :) ;) :P :rollin :hat :\ 8o 8)
It's Really Great To See The Number Of Contributors Sharing Whats On Your Benches
Please Everyone Stay Safe ,Be Well And Be Kind !!!

Tight Lines And Having A Look Loops :P
Andy Man

Last edited by The Glass Master on 11 May 2020, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 May 2020, 15:48 • #1941 
Master Guide
thanks for the kind words Andy! I enjoy following along on your projects.

Yes the old W&M All American was in well used condition but needed to be re-wrapped since most of the guides were loose or wraps coming apart. I left the grip as is, dirty and probably old fish slime on it, didnt see any scales stuck to it though!

Bruce

Post 11 May 2020, 17:03 • #1942 
Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
I'm always busy with at least one Bamboo rod project on my benches as well, you mention quite a few your working on,is there one that your fixed on finishing currently or are you jumping from one rod to another ?
Some of these rods look like projects that you have recently finished rather than current projects or am I confused ?

Andy, to clarify, these rods are all projects I am working on simultaneously. As you know working with bamboo and spar varnish requires a bit of drying time and that means shoehorning-in work as need be. The 10' trout spey has the wraps completed but I'm debating whether to finish the cane with varnish or not - the rod is impregnated so varnish isn't completely necessary. The repair work on the Grangers is almost complete, just need to polish out the new wraps once varnish has cured. The 8'6" Penta is a new build that I just completed the grip and reel seat on and will start wrapping soon once I decide on a wrap color. My priority project is this Epic 686 posted above as it is my first non-cane build and I am anxious to try this one out this spring.

Quote:
.......thread matching can lead to madness,however matching threads is an addiction of mine,you can wonder through boxes and draws of thread for hours,full days can be spent color matching tinting finishes and staining threads.

Yes I agree 100% with you on this. I am perhaps guilty of being a bit too picky with thread matching and this undoubtedly takes me longer than it should to complete some of the repairs.

Quote:
....funny I just purchased a bunch of green thread last week off the auction site for a mini rod series I'm planning.
Wanted to make sure I had thread enough to do 20 rods.

20 rods sound extremely ambitious-I look forward to seeing these projects posted as you work through them. Are these all glass rods?

Quote:
Never heard of Al's color preserver I've seen and tried more color preservers than people would believe. The trick is to be patient,letting the color fixative material fully set/dry/cure before you add your top coats especially when using the dip or dribble methods.

Al's Color Rite or Silk Rite is quite widely used by the cane rod crowd (at least those not scared of doing color-preserved wraps :lol ). It is an alcohol-based CP that dries quite quickly allowing for multiple coats in a short period of time. I don't think it is any better than other alternatives - just different. Al's does not alter the thread color as much as water-based urethane or shellac can.
here is an old comparison I did with green silk ;)

Quote:
I'm rather diverse when it comes to finishes,the type of rod I'm working on or making often dictates the finish chosen.
The Depth Of The Rod Makers Here May Surprise You,You May Pick Up A Few Tips As Well. :lol

Yes I think that is the way to approach this work. I use a variety of color preservers (de-waxed shellac, Al's color rite, water-based polyurethane, oil-based urethane, varnish etc) to modify the wrap appearance, but coming from cane rod background I have only used spar over the wraps. Now I'm looking at spar urethanes and venturing into epoxy with more planned fiberglass build in my future. I will be sure to draw on the expertise of this forum for information on using these products.

Quote:
My goal last Friday was to get the H.I. Cascade blank sections stripped and shellacked and ready for a new grip and reel seat.
Decided to go with a R.L. Cap and Ring reel seat from Ray,The Insert has a green emerald look and the grip choice will surprise you as well.

Do you shellac finish all of your cane rods? Is that a final finish or a base finish? I really like the idea of replacing the old plastic (tenite etc.) reel seats with wood inserts that captures some the characteristics of the original. I replaced a damaged original green tenite seat on an HI Tonka Queen with a Struble seat with green tinted vera-wood seat filler. Okay I also changed the wrap color to add some green.

Still fish that rod on occasion.
Cheers,
Ron

Post 11 May 2020, 18:10 • #1943 
Glass Fanatic
Following everyone's lead on messing with some bamboo, I'm doing a re-build of an old Montague boo rod that I bought on a whim years ago for like $25. Decided to rummage through my bins for all the makings, so no new $$ put into this project, and I'm enjoying it so far. It was a decent caster (if a bit heavy) when I got it with a 7 weight line, and that was with very small, and too few (in my eyes) guides. Ferules are tight, and once cleaned fit nicely and pop. Decidely low end, but I'm hoping that I end up with a passable streamer rod for Landlocked Salmon come November - it'd be fun to catch one of those (my favorite fishing every year) on 'boo, just for tradition's sake. And I'm not going to worry about this rod if I trip and fall in the woods!

I've been using Snake Brand guides for so long now I forgot how much work it is preparing guides!

Post 11 May 2020, 18:23 • #1944 
Master Guide
That's nice Jalthoff, always like the Blk/Or jasper thread. Have fun with that project.

Bruce

Post 11 May 2020, 22:48 • #1945 
Guide
Some solid content posted recently, stepped away for a few days and it took a while to get through, but worth it.

Ben, good work on your first build. It's funny that you mentioned your dust issue. I haven't had a problem with the thread wraps, however I've been struggling with reel seat inserts. On a few i've turned recently i've gotten dust nibs in the final coat. Eventually i found a still corner in my basement to store the inserts while they cure. Tom's suggestion of the portable closet is a great idea though that I may steal.

Eastslope, quick question. In a photo of the thread wraps on the Epic build, you left the tag end long. Do you leave them long like that when you apply the first coat of finish, and then cut them off flush before applying the second coat?

Keep up the progress, I should have something to contribute soon.

~Rob

Post 12 May 2020, 06:35 • #1946 
Glass Fanatic
Jalthoff +2 on the orange/black jasper!

Looks like you have your black trim bands nice and tight. In my one attempt at trim bands (3 turn) I had trouble keeping them tight. I was passing the beginning thread and end of thread through the 3 wraps, if that makes sense.

Andy, love that wood insert on the 8' graphite, what kind is it?

Post 12 May 2020, 07:45 • #1947 
Glass Fanatic
Driftless - Well I confess I cheat on the trim bands. I put a little super glue on the thread and hold in place tight against the main wrap. Once it's secure I cut the excess, wrap 3 times and then use a little more super glue to secure it. Once that's dry I cut off the tag. Using very little glue it works well, and once there are a couple coats of spar on it any trace of the glue is invisible.

I'm sure there are more artful ways of doing it, but it serves my purposes just fine!

Post 12 May 2020, 09:38 • #1948 
Guide
VDub32 wrote:
Eastslope, quick question. In a photo of the thread wraps on the Epic build, you left the tag end long. Do you leave them long like that when you apply the first coat of finish, and then cut them off flush before applying the second coat? ~Rob

Rob, I actually cut the tag end just prior to color preserving in this case. With the thicker threads such as this 2/0 and larger I will trim beforehand. With 3/0 and Pearsall's Gossamer I may wait until I apply the first coat of CP or finish and trim the left over nub if need be.

Jalthoff +3 on the use of orange and black Jasper on the Monty. I've only used it on cane restorations (e.g. Granger Victory and South Bend 290), but I've been thinking it is underused outside of the cane world. I think it would really work well on fiberglass rods with many of the blank colors available today.

Post 12 May 2020, 10:45 • #1949 
Master Guide
This green blank has been sitting next to my bench for a long time. Bought the flyrod at a yard sale for a few bucks or more, don't even know the maker. Obviously its green with what looks like glitter embedded in the glass! It had the usual 5 guides total, cheap metal ferrules, beat up grip and reel seat. Stripped the rod and used Citristrip on the blank hoping that the "glitter would come off with the fininsh. Nope still there. Not sure what I'm going to do with this rod or even what color thread to use. I did add a tiptop and a spigot so I'm getting somewhere! Any suggestion for thread color?!?
Bruce

Post 12 May 2020, 12:01 • #1950 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Glad to see more contributions.
Thanks for your kindness Bruce I'm always happy to help when I can.
That W&M All American is going to be one fish ready Classic when your finished.

I'm pressed for time today want to get a good jump on my own projects today,I'm going to make this as quick as possible.

Yes these days "Since My Retirement" I only have 3 projects going at the same time,I move "Jump" from project to project as time and circumstances Permit/Demand,

Your building your first Fiberglass Fly Rod from a CTS blank,that's outstanding be sure to take us through the process as your project unfolds.

When I was a younger man 20 rods was nothing for me,I averaged 4-5 rods finished per day,Now 20 rods is about 5-6 weeks worth of work provided I have no interruptions,Fortunately the18 hour days are behind me now that I'm retired.My Nurse only allows a certain number of hours at the bench before she turns out the lights and puts me to bed. :)

Anyhow Recently Acquired A Large Stash Of Diamondback Boron and Graphite Blanks.
When I'm Closer To Kicking My Mini Series Project Off,I Will Of Course Introduce The Details Here.
I'm still in the process of making and gathering the hardware etc.
In The Old Days My Yearly Limited Edition Signature Series Were 50 Rods.

I Use Gudebrod Color Preserver,I'm not afraid to use light colored silks have been doing so for many years and it's not a problem for me.Like I said as long as you are patient and allow the color fixative to full y set between coats,apply enough coats,make sure you get the color fixative down the rabbit holes as my mentor called the voids created at the guide feet,you will never have a problem.
The Same Goes for Tom Dick And Harry's Color Fixative from the sounds of it.
You Should Backcast to Page 72 the silk is over 70 years old and a challenge to work with let alone get the results I'm seeking.

No worries we can help I was happy to teach Steve Jenkins step by step how to use Epoxy thread finishes,Steve Mastered the process/concept rather well/quickly.
I'd say after the learning curve Steve's finishes looked better than mine.It's about controlling a drip not thinning the material.
Wish Steve would come back around again I miss his Work & Company .

No I Don't Shellac All My Bamboo Rods,I Use Marine Spar Varnishes Mostly,Danish Oils,Tung Oils,I Do Allot Of Hand Rubbed Finishes,All Sorts Of Different Materials As The Project Merits.
We found many years ago that the Finish H.I. used as a seal coat on the impregnated rods was a Shellac.
Seems the Shellac wont bead up on an impregnated finished blank.

When went to my can of shellac last night found it to be dried up in the can,seems left the top loose 2 weeks ago when I gave the last Cascade a touch up coat of the material.
Not bad the can had lasted about me 15 years since we shellacked the floor in the Den.
Instead applied a dribbled on coat of Danish Oil last night.
I'll need to wait 72 hours now for the D.O. to fully set before I can apply a spar base coat of varnish.

The blank cleaned up nice this cascade is going to be a full remake from stem to stern.
;)

Montague Rebuilds
Gotta say that Montague has made some amazing bamboo fly rods.Montague was one of the first bamboo rod manufactures to embrace fiberglass.
I've had Montague rods cross my bench that would put H.L. Leonard & The Edwards folks to shame.

Nothing wrong with a Hardware Store Model Monty,when your finished you will have a nice rod you don't need to worry too much about.
Keep up the good work it looks great please keep us up dated as your project un folds.
Yes Bruce I Fully Agree The Jaspers Thread Looks Smashing !
I'd never give up prepping my own guide feet it's part of the process of making a rod that's a makers touch.

Vdub thanks for checking in looking forward to seeing what you have going on your bench.

Hey Drifter Thanks for noticing I stuck those pictures in last night,it's maple clear maple I turned from a table leg,think it's red maple ??
The blank is one of my own I'm down to the last few only a couple of the 8' 3/1 4/5 weights and about a 1/2 dozen of the 7'6" 2/1 3/4 weights.
Spent about 4 weeks the winter of 2018 making all the ferrule support rings and getting all the remaining blanks of my final batch of my blanks wrap ready, Reel Seats And Grips Turned & Mounted.
Used mostly up lock reel seats this is one of the few that is down lock.

My Grandsons spent last summer working on a few of these blanks and made some nice rods with them.
The blanks were imported and offered to me by a broker back around 1990 IM6 Very Slow For Graphite.

Had to purchase a good number,it was a great adventure and many many people really love the rods.
The blanks also were used in my rod making classes,Gave countless rods made with these blanks to the various fishing clubs for drawings etc.

Used to keep about 6 in my car and give them to kids along the river banks.
It's funny :lol
When I was at the HFFA Expo In Early March This year, 2 fellows approached me to let me know the rods they had both won at club events were still favorites,nothing like hearing rods you crafted nearly 20 years ago are still fishing.

Wow am I ever getting long winded just responding to everyone's contributions.
I'm going to skip or jump to the thread color question,Either Gold Or Something That Also Sparkles Would Be My Choice.
Looks Like You Did A Fine Job Adding A Spigot Ferrule,Be Sure To Double Wrap The Blank To Support The Hoop Strength At The Ferrule Now Or Your Blank Could Split.

Finally I'm not going to share anything from my bench today as I already surpassed my time at the keyboard, the bench is suffering as a result.

Maybe I'll add some pictures of my project progress here later if I can find the time.

Tight Lines And Down The Rabbit Hole Loops
Andy Man

Last edited by The Glass Master on 12 May 2020, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply