It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:03

Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 28 Jan 2021, 11:16 • #2101 
Guide
Going back a couple of posts, did you use CP on those jasper wraps before applying the finish? I’ve experimented in the past and could never get jasper wraps to look right, they typically just washed out. I did not use CP. However, I believe the issue was that I was pairing it with the wrong color of blank.

Post 28 Jan 2021, 16:48 • #2102 
Guide
VDub32, If you're referring to jalthoff post #2089, the answer is no. See his post #2061 to see threads in their natural color.

Post 28 Jan 2021, 17:24 • #2103 
Guide
Got it, clear as day when viewing the original post. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Post 29 Jan 2021, 15:20 • #2104 
Glass Fanatic
First try with hardwood handles on a spey build for a friend. The blank is a 15’2” CND. So far it’s working well. The wood is bubinga.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 17:02 • #2105 
Master Guide
That's quite lovely brockton. Lucky friend!

Post 31 Jan 2021, 07:30 • #2106 
Glass Fanatic
PENZZZ wrote:
VDub32, If you're referring to jalthoff post #2089, the answer is no. See his post #2061 to see threads in their natural color.

Correct - no CP, just Helmsman Spar Urethane - Clear Gloss. Basically all I've used for years.

Post 31 Jan 2021, 10:22 • #2107 
Glass Fanatic
Progress...

Really want to get this one finished!

Post 04 Feb 2021, 23:41 • #2108 
Guide
I recently just finished rebuilding one of the lathes I had purchased a while back.

Project tonight was practice making a ferrule. This one is just out of aluminum, and I don't have the proper sized drills and reamers yet, but it let me work through the steps to machine one and pointed out a few details I need to work through a bit more. Hoping to make some out of NS in the near future.

Post 05 Feb 2021, 02:30 • #2109 
Guide
Tom S, you are a real craftsman. That is super cool. Cheers

Post 05 Feb 2021, 08:02 • #2110 
Master Guide
Wow. That is cool. Darryl Hayashida used aluminum ferrules that he turned himself.
http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.p ... opic=11300
Sounds like it might be worth trying them if you get them to dimension.

Post 05 Feb 2021, 09:36 • #2111 
Guide
Re: Aluminum Ferrules

Yes, I have heard that some builders have experienced success using aluminum ferrules, but I feel that it would be a big potential issue that would make me uncomfortable with handing a rod with aluminum ferrules to anyone else. Potential galling causing the ferrule to seize in place is what I am worried about. Galling can occur when a material is ductile (check), has a large area in contact (check), and has smooth/polished faces in contact (check). Lubricating the ferrule before assembly would prevent this, so I might give it a shot on a personal rod using a wax lubricant, but using a material like Nickel Silver (especially if it's hardened) greatly reduces the chance of galling.

Post 05 Feb 2021, 18:52 • #2112 
Administrator
That lathe came out very nicely! Ball bearing head? I don't see the usual drip oilers.

With the angular adjustment on the cross slide, making tapered fiberglass spigot ferrules would be a snap.

Tom

Post 05 Feb 2021, 21:31 • #2113 
Guide
jgestar wrote:
That lathe came out very nicely! Ball bearing head? I don't see the usual drip oilers.

With the angular adjustment on the cross slide, making tapered fiberglass spigot ferrules would be a snap.

Tom

Yes, ball bearing head. Much nicer for higher speed work like aluminum and plastics.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 10:36 • #2114 
Glass Fanatic
Dry fit handle and reel seat on the 8 weight Northfork Composites blank I've been dying to get to for weeks now ...

Reamed cork for like 1/2 hour - fat butt and I had to take my time because the thinnest parts of the handle were getting pretty thin!

Also pretty psyched about the reel that seems just made for this rod, a Valentine 89 in great shape that I picked up for a steal on evil bay around Christmas. With a little luck this combo will get its first bend on a striper by early May ....

Post 07 Feb 2021, 13:13 • #2115 
Glass Fanatic
Looking great Jalthoff! With those really fat butts, I usually lack the patience and take too much off the top of the grip too and need a winding check to cover. That reel looks like a great match! I've had my eye on that blank, you'll have to let me know your impressions.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 14:01 • #2116 
Glass Fanatic
Wow. You guys are doing some incredible work. I like how this thread keeps giving me new ideas and inspirations for my own builds.

Here's my latest project. I built a ********* 8'6" 6-weight last spring, and shaped out a full wells grip for it. I love the rod--it's a fantastic all-around tool for our rivers and lakes--but I ended up really disliking the cork grip.

I shaped out a new ritz grip and mini fighting butt, and I installed them this weekend. Now I just need to rewrap the signature area.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 14:23 • #2117 
Guide
You guys have me excited for an upcoming build. A late March trip to Florida hit the calendar so this time I decided to build a salt friendly seven weight rod for whatever lives on the other side of our middle of island seawall. The blank should arrive in the next week and I've been offered an extended butt metal reel seat by a friend. Happen to have a titanium framed SIC stripper and matching materials tiptop in my components box. My stock of snake guides will cover the running guide needs. That leaves a grip to be turned.

More to come.
Jeff

Post 07 Feb 2021, 18:29 • #2118 
Glass Fanatic
Nice GlacierRambler!

Last edited by Driftless on 08 Feb 2021, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Feb 2021, 17:30 • #2119 
Master Guide
Nice work!
My bench currently has a bamboo fly rod and three spinning rods, including this one that has the first of many coats of perma gloss and used a champagne cork for the fore grip and some purple thread that Andy sent me. (Shown out on a trial run before getting gussied up with full finish). Thanks Glass Master!

Another project is a fiberglass fly rod. The cork was soft right where I placed my thumb during a cast. A light sanding showed it confined to one bad ring. I’ve long been curious about handle repair rather than replacement so I’m giving it a go.

After ring removal with a razor and emory board.

New ring reamed to fit and split for installation.

Dry fit (was a good fit and hard to remove again!)

Glued and clamped.
Once it dries I’ll see how well I do getting everything to taper.

Post 10 Feb 2021, 19:48 • #2120 
Master Guide
Some great work going on here!

ColdPass,

I recently attempted the same thing replacing a damaged cork ring on a Phillipson bamboo rod. Mine didn't turn out very well. Most likely didnt get a tight enough fit, and while trying to "clean" the edges of the surrounding cork rings the edges slightly disintegrated.
Bruce

Post 10 Feb 2021, 23:14 • #2121 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing us the repair in action Cold Pass. I've read about this technique, but never seen it in action. Would love to see what you end up with.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 13:58 • #2122 
Master Guide
I masked off the existing handle so that I could concentrate on sanding the new ring flush, and used a belt sander to speed the process.

After removing the masking tape, the new ring was still a bit proud.

So I tried bringing the ring down by hand sanding. The fresh ring is harder than the old rings, though, so not over sanding the old ones is difficult.

I spun the rod by wrapping a driver bit in masking tape and pushing it into the ferrule to spin the rod section and did a bit more sanding.

I'm going to back away from this a bit before I sand away all of the handle. It's not a bad fit, better than before, but if doing it again I may have left the masking tape on longer and worked the new ring down a little further. If one had a rod lathe this would be an easier project.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 14:01 • #2123 
Glass Fanatic
I think that grip repair came out nice.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 14:23 • #2124 
Master Guide
I agree, that did come out nice.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 14:28 • #2125 
Master Guide
Thanks. I appreciate that. The parts I was concerned about all went well. Removing the old ring worked well by starting in the center of it and working out toward the edges to be sure I had a nice crisp joint. Reaming the new ring to fit and getting it glued back together without an obvious cut mark also exceeded my expectations. I guess then I relaxed too much and feel I slightly over sanded the adjacent rings while doing the final contouring and had to correct that. If anyone follows these steps, just treat the shaping like you would if you're sanding cork next to bark or composite cork. Nice and slow and with a steady sanding block.

I've now added some Golden Oak filler to the pits and put on a coat of Cork Seal. It should be ready to fish once our cold front gets past. I typically use this rod for poppers, and with freezing weather coming I don't think that will be too productive for a few days. The rod is a True Temper 1505 and obviously doesn't get much pampering.

Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next New Topic Add Reply