It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:24

Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 03 Apr 2020, 14:43 • #1851 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bill and Vlad for weighing in on the Carbonite for Andy, much more info than I had. My Carbonite was a 9' 5/6 wt. Great rod, but sold it to someone on the forum many years ago. I'm fishing smaller spring creeks around here and just didn't have the need for a 9' trout rod. I figured it was too nice and needed to be fished more often.

DIAMONDBACK 101
Post 03 Apr 2020, 18:15 • #1852 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for all the help,got more from you guys in the last couple of days than I could find searching the net for weeks.
Really like the
Quote:
6'6" 3/4wt Carbonite. Parabolic action small stream taper

I'm a little confused whats the difference or better yet how do you tell the difference between a Regular Carbonite,and a Carbonite Supreme ?
Obviously the Parabolics you know by feel stiff tip soft butt & hinge.

Tight Lines And Stay Safe Loops
Andy Man

Post 03 Apr 2020, 19:01 • #1853 
Master Guide
I went back and looked at my 1992 catalog, Carbonite Supreme was a sanded blank, gloss grey finish. IM-6 material. Standard Carbonite was an unsanded Gloss Grey blank and according to Vlad his 1991 catalog states the same for the Supreme, but adds for the Standard that it was lower modulus graphite. My catalog does not have that statement in it. So it sounds like the 1991 catalog has the best and more accurate info.
My 92 catalog also has some “Bass”, “Steelhead” and “Saltwater” series listed, heavy line weight stuff. Andy, I guess I should photocopy mine and mail you a copy.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 08:28 • #1854 
Master Guide
Quote:
Obviously the Parabolics you know by feel stiff tip soft butt & hinge.

Yes, and yes for all Bill wrote above. My little 6'6" Carbonite has a hinge point 1/3rd down the length of the butt section, below the ferrule.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 09:17 • #1855 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks that's really great information !
Short Rods with a lever are surprising especially when they can toss a whole lotta line.

Managed to get the Reel Seat and Grip Glued up on the Carbonite yesterday,taped up the ferrule for security against breakage and did some wiggle testing,the blank feels very mellow for Graphite.
Next will be taping guides on then letting the blank tell me where and what it wants for guides.

The post office was a nut house yesterday but I finally got the blank shipped.

Found a suitable piece of light maple burl that will match the Light Maple Burl R.E.C. $$$ Grip.
Got it chucked up in the lathe last night,plan to start turning it today.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise ! all your help and information is priceless,it's also fun to be learning new stuff,well new stuff for me anyway.

Wonder how many of the rest of us old time glass guys missed allot of the Classic Graphite offerings.
Maybe that makes us old time Classic Glass heads even weirder ???

Hope I'm not starting a new trend here. I'm already being blamed for introducing "Stints" :eek

Tight Lines And Classic Is Classic Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 04 Apr 2020, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 15:32 • #1856 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

Cortland bought Diamondback, moved Diamondback from Vermont to in-house in New York, quality went down the tubes and so did Diamondback. Someone bought the Diamondback name and is now producing a new line of graphite and glass rods.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 17:15 • #1857 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Oh Geezee Didn't Know That Thought When Cortland Closed The Rod Shop Our Friend In Pennsylvania Purchased The Equipment .
Sorry don't want to start any problems for anyone !!!!
So Diamondback Is Back In Business I'll Have To Check Them Out.

That's Really Strange with all the searching of Diamondback I've been doing you would have thunk they'd of turned up.
I'll See What I Can Find .

Sorry Guys I Honestly Didn't Know.
Tight Lines And Still In Business OOps Loops
Andy M

Post 04 Apr 2020, 17:16 • #1858 
Administrator
Driftless wrote:
Cortland bought Diamondback, moved Diamondback from Vermont to in-house in New York, quality went down the tubes and so did Diamondback.

Actually, Cortland operated the factory in Vermont for some time, then shut it down in the early 2000's. Then they moved the equipment to New York. They didn't realize none of the staff in Vermont would move to Cortland. Whoops...

The blank production equipment sat in storage for a few years. Mike McFarland made a deal with Cortland for everything. Mike moved the equipment to his home base and started rolling his own rods (2009-2010). Meanwhile, Mike built many blue Diamondglass rods for Cortland on blanks they sourced from Asia.

Diamondback has been owned by Nate Dablock since 2015. Nate used to work for Cortland. I haven't yet had a chance to handle any of the new Diamondback rods. There are some glass offerings in the lineup.

Tom

Post 04 Apr 2020, 20:20 • #1859 
Guide
"Your putting up a T&T LPS903-3 and a Lamiglas SFL96 6/7F, What are you waiting for materials to arrive or do you have everything already ? Whats the color scheme of the rods, what threads have you selected or are you still looking at combinations.Are you planning on trying different types of guides on the blanks or have you gotten guide recommendations from the blank manufacturers ? "[/color]

Hi Andy. The first generation LPS were graphite from the mid 90s I think. I was asked to build a rod for a customer and bought 2 NOS T&T blanks from a forum member. I'm keeping the 3 wt. Yep, got the spacing and the guides and cork are on order. NOS Struble birdseye maple uplock. Not sure about colors yet but the 5wt looked awfully nice with dark red wraps and dark nickel guides.. Its a slow process for me. I'll even dry fit everything and stare at it for a couple weeks before diving in. Thanks for asking.
Rick

LOVE OUR FELLOW MAN
Post 05 Apr 2020, 15:58 • #1860 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wow what a week this has been,seemed everything I tried to get done took forever.
Even the simplest of chores became monumental,things as simple as getting rod blanks shipped and delivered were nutty.

Stuff around home seemed impossible,finally found my dust masks I have 6 but they have a sticker on them that says they are not intended for medical use.

At least the rod shop got re organized,so did my wood working area and all the storage areas gone through.
Tossed out a bunch of stuff had a big pile by the road Friday morning.
Also have a good size pile of broken fly rod/rod pieces that I need to salvage the guides from.

In between chores managed somehow to get a little rod work done here and there,I'll post some pictures of my Meager Triumphs.

Spoke with several of my Friends this week seems we have time to talk,my friends that feel like talking rod building know I'm almost always available & always happy to chat.

Sorry for my blunder I edited out my stupid mistake, it's typical of the sort of mistakes I made all week.

I'm celebrating a 2 year anniversary today 2 years ago today was when I had 4 Strokes over a period of about 6 hours.
The last one was while I was in the Emergency room getting X Rays.

After that humbling experience everything is a gift,when people give me a hard time now I just laugh and let it roll off my back, because nothing & nobody's worth my getting aggravated.

When you go the extra mile for someone and they can't say Thank You you gotta Laugh so you don't cry. ;)

Managed to get the Carbonite 2/2 Ready for wrapping,the reel seat and grip have been fitted and mounted,the ferrule support rings were made and glued in place,the ferrule unions were taped with electrical tape to prevent blow outs during static deflection testing,the guide set was primarily selected and laid out for taping on the blank,I'm starting with a combination of H&H standard wire on the butt then going to light wire pac bay guides on the tips.
That's a good start,I'll copy the guide size and spacing from the Graphite Boron I Put up last month for a starting point and see where it goes from there.

As we know fiberglass is more robust than graphite in terms of resistance to breakage,we all know we are suppose to wrap our ferrules before we flex glass or graphite/boron.composite rod blanks.
With glass we often just use some masking tape,with graphite especially early graphite not wrapping the ferrule before flexing is a recipe for disaster.

When first got this hoard of blanks started putting sections together to do ferrule fittings and mating sections,it wasn't until I broke my second blank did I remember how important taping the blanks before flexing was so important.

Electrical tape stretched to support the OD is the golden rule.
The Ferrule support rings work in conjunction with a double thread wrap of appropriate length.
Where the support rings really come into play is if during mid cast when your sections separate the ferrule will not crack or split.

Got the Edwards grip turned to size and found an appropriate winding check,the check was missing whom ever did the remake decided it wasn't needed,also realized that the previous remake also involved some grip reshaping so I shaped my new grip to original Edwards Size.

The Edwards 8' 3/2 #5 is also wrap ready,need do guide selection from my NOS of Mildrum guides.
I'll reuse the tip tops and that's about it, the rest of the replacement guides were all wrong for the rod.
I'll stick with the original guide placements and just bump up the guide sizes enough to accommodate modern lines like I did on the Leonard Tournament.

Usually like to have a rod in process at each one of my work stations so I'm going to Re-Start an overdue fiberglass project as well,I'm going to Finish one of my 6' 1 Piece Glass Rods that's been on the back burner since I had the strokes 2 years ago.
It's one of the rods I had in process when I was Stricken.
I'm Going To Call It "The Little Phoenix" I think my friends will get the joke.
Tom may remember he was the one that suggested the "Phoenix" name many years ago.

Someone suggested I just turn my own Light Maple Burl reel seat insert,Someone else sent me a package,in it was a maple pen blank,so that was looking very promising but it didn't have much of a burl,right color maple but faint burl,then during my reorganization I found a cigar box of Maple Burl Blocks,I Think Bob sent me them can't quite remember.I Do recall they were put aside for a special project I was dreaming up.
Anyway found a nice perfectly matching hunk of wood,just need to remember how to turn one down.
Haven't turned any inserts in 2 years,dusted off the lathe, got the old girl oiled up,the block is chucked up in the lathe ready to go just need to sharpen my tools N let the chips fly.

Wish me luck,should be like riding a bike,lets see ?

I'll post some progress reports as my humble projects unfold,I'm looking forward more to hearing about everyone else's projects.

See Penzzz Keeps Adding Great Pictures to Previous Post,That's great but when we get to the next page we don't realize they have been added.
Your Thread Work Looks Outstanding I Love your color combinations !!!
The grip turned out really nice as well, everything looks very professional thanks for sharing.

Rick thanks for up dating us on your projects please be sure to share more with us !.
Didn't realize your a rod maker for hire,please share more of what type of work your crafting.
We love pictures around here.

I get the starring at stuff and thinking about doing or what will look best thing.

Had a great conversation just yesterday with a very dear friend about the same thing having everything but lacking the final step needed to get the spools turning.

Shared with him that I was at a point where didn't even want to go into my rod shop, I was just so disgusted.
Had to force my self last summer to start just going in the door and sitting starring at all my idle lost passion,then with my Grandsons help slowly cleaning up,next came Teaching them how to build a rod. We 3 did some work together,it was very rewarding to see how quickly they were able to catch on.
Back when I taught rod building the kids classes were always the easiest to teach, because children listen and follow your directions,they also don't have as many bad habits.
Then In October Last first agreeing to do and then finally getting going On a custom rod project for my good friend Jason.

It was the hardest thing I had done in a 18 months of my absence from my bench.
Just getting started was nearly insurmountable,finally my motivation was having some cash for my Grandchildren's Christmas,

How by the time the project was finished I was already looking at other projects that needed to be finished,Several rods that had been waiting mostly bamboo projects, where the rods owners didn't care if it took years they just were happy to wait,then I started looking at what other projects I could do,Thanks Jay ! Thanks Josh,Thanks Gino and all The Rest, also Thanks To My Grandsons Nathaniel & Noah because they stopped me from selling off everything last summer when I was really blue.

I'm still not confident health wise enough to take in any work for anyone,seriously doubt I'll ever be, this Edwards is the last of 5 of my overdue projects for my Buddy Gene,after this one God Willing I've got enough going on with the my own stuff to stay busy.
These Diamond Back Blanks Were Like A Shot In The Bottom !!

I'm Looking Forward To Doing What I Love Most As Long As I Can Or Until Hell Freezes Over As My Amazing Father Used To Say.

Also Tom Thanks for straightening out one of my messes again.I know I'm a P.I.A. but at least I'm consistent. ;)

Tight Lines And No Time Like Now To Remember To Thank Our Friends, All Remember To Also
Love Our Fellow Man and Woman ! Loops
Stay Safe !! :P
Andy Man

A Box Of ______________ :lol
Bogus Tags.
Diamondback SPLAY Rod Tag.
There's A Tip Here If You Look For It.
Obsolete Reel Seat Trim Rings,I Still Use Them.
Ferrule Support Rings.
Support Rings Mounted and Ferrules Taped In Preparation For Guide Size And Placement Trials.
Grip Fini.
Check.
This Guy Hangs Around The Rod Shop Daily,At Least He Doesn't Drink Coffee. :lol
Thanks For Sharing & Looking 8o

Post 05 Apr 2020, 17:08 • #1861 
Guide
Andy, thank you for the kind words. The words “fit and finish” roll around in my head during my rod projects. Progress on this rod has been slowed by a snake guide order fulfillment malfunction (things happen). All but one guide has been wrapped. Turning lemons into lemonade I’ve decided to call a time out on this rod. My current epoxy of choice is Threadmaster Lite. But there is a new epoxy being brought to market, named Gen4. Gen4 is said to release bubbles very well so I’ve decided to order some and use some of my plentiful time at home to experiment with it. Completion of the rod will follow - I’m looking forward to epoxy transforming the wraps.

Long story on this rod's reel seat insert, which is very special to me. About fifteen years ago I developed a long distance relationship with Dick Seymour from Calgary. He'd been contributing his turned reel seat insert work on Rodbuildingforum.com. We pushed each other to continue improvement in our finishing techniques. At some point we did an insert swap. I sent him a couple of my finished inserts and he sent me one of his, along with a similar turning blank. The insert going on this rod is from that turning blank. Over the last several years Dick's health has diminished somewhat. Our last email exchange was around three years ago (time sure does fly). Dick’s rod building had slowed considerably. My recent attempts using his email addresses either bounced back or haven't been answered. So it is with pride that I'll be mounting something from Dick onto one of my fly rods.

If you read this Dick, give me a shout.

Jeff

Post 06 Apr 2020, 06:00 • #1862 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Jeff Hope you find your friend is well !!!,nothing can be worse than M.I.A. friends,pray he's just been busy.

Turned up the hunk of wood yesterday afternoon had it whittled into shape in about an hour.
It polished up to a very close match to the grips finish think I'll be leaving it naked no finish just some butchers wax.

Tight Lines Surprisingly Turned Out Okay Loops :D
Andy Man

Post 06 Apr 2020, 06:13 • #1863 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful Andy! So glad you have made a comeback!

Post 08 Apr 2020, 08:30 • #1864 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thank you me too :lol !

Haven't gotten around to the Carbonite since getting it prepped for guide trials.
Maybe later today.

Been working steady on the Edwards #53 Deluxe so far the butt and mid section are wrapped and have had a coat of color fixative applied,The Colors Are J&P Coats Scarlet and Old Gold Silk,Wrapped the ferrules in Black Nylon for durability and to cover up some very ugly work accredited to the previous rod tinker.
Wouldn't have had enough of the silk to cover the sins,besides the nylon will do a better job all around.
Like they say when you have lemons make lemonade.

Gene is as happy as a clam because he basically gave me the #53 to use in case I needed parts for the rest of the rods I restored for him.
Never suspecting I'd be able to get this rod back in decent shape let alone back out on the water.

Just a quick up date,stay safe !

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M
Please Excuse The Out Of Focus Shots .

Post 08 Apr 2020, 11:07 • #1865 
Master Guide
Andy,
That black ferrule wrap looks really sharp with the tipping. That’s a very cool way to conserve your silk thread.

Tim

Post 10 Apr 2020, 13:12 • #1866 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for your kindness,I try to add a tip to every post to help make rod projects flow better for my fellow rod tinkers,some folks appreciate them many never even realize I shared them.

The Edwards #52 was finished yesterday the wrapping process was very enjoyable ,love working with fine vintage silks.
The tips turning with color fixative,next will be multiple coats of dipped and had rubbed finishing.
Still a long way to go before I can call the rod finished.

Promised a Fiberglass project I'm sharing the 6' 1 Piece Glass Rod that was started 2 years ago but never got around to finishing,this is one of my Kayak Specials, it's got oversized guides,it's a 7 weight,great for tossing bass bugs from a Yak and easy to handle in a confined space.
The blank is a un sanded US Fiberglass that was originally yukkow yellew, painted Rustolum sage.
Do you Think 2 years was long enough to wait for the paint to dry ?
Finished Wrapping the rod this morning the finish process has started more on this as it finishes up.
On The Out Rigger.

Finally got around to taping the guides on the Carbonite for the guide placement and casting trials.
Copied my guide sizes and my guide spacing from the Boron Graphite rod,it turned out to only having to make one small move of the guides at the ferrule.
Even I get lucky once and a while,it was windy but the rod cast nearly effortlessly into the wind.
The Red Tape Looks So Good I'm Going To Wrap This Rod In Red Thread.

Okay so you might remember me mentioning earlier on that some of the Diamondback blanks had peoples names on them.
Yesterday I was speaking with a Diamondback Fan whom has been a tremendous help to me,honestly the only interest going back that I've had was in Diamondglass,Anyhow yesterday we were talking about the Graphite and Boron blanks I have on hand,My Diamondback Mentor mentioned a couple of blanks that are considered sought after more highly than others.

One of the more desirable was the Famed 8' 4 Weight also the 8'6" 5 Weight.
So this morning early over coffee I decide to go to my blank storage racks to see what I have in these sought after blanks,Long Story short.In The Golden Shadow Bin I Found A Very Special 8' 4 Weight.

Brown Finished Blank It Turns Out The Blank Was Made Expressly For
This Morning I Looked up Mr Pragliola.
When I first read the name it,The Name Rang a bell but I couldn't recall where from,since the strokes I get that more often, eventually it comes to me,After searching the name the page blew up with pages of information on the man.

Guess you could say that this blank is very likely to be the clearest cut diamond of them all ?

Please follow the links about Roberto Pragliola they are truly remarkable.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLvI-hst7oAhU6lnIEHRk3Da44ChC3AjAAegQICxAo&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiIYCMJhcHbE&usg=AOvVaw1z3tsNrgHQ-ZJUCNYDF8nr
I'm sure you will agree that was a very interesting clip.
Unfortunately Mr Pragliola has passed Away a few years back.
https://www.g-feuerstein.com/en/news-reader.392/roberto-pragliola-passed-away.html
Please Take The Time To Google Roberto Pragliola the amount of information about the mans contributions to the sport of fly fishing seem endless.

Tight Lines And Legendary Loops
Andy M

Post 10 Apr 2020, 14:53 • #1867 
Glass Fanatic
Hello all, I finally went and got the busted shoulder fixed just before the virus hit, and now I am making a slow comeback. During this time, I cannot do stuff like persuade a sticky ferrule to part, or even hand-ream cork grips, so rod building has been a little slow. It has only been a week or so, since I have been able to use two hands at the keyboard. I must say I have been enjoying reading this rod building and tackle tinkering forum. I must say that we cover some interesting topics here and get to see lots of great rod builds. There is more to see here than anywhere else on the www. I just want to show-off a couple of builds that I had to complete before my surgery last month.

First is a Jenkins PLG I built for someone who loves and appreciates traditional e-glass rods and two piece fly rod actions:

Second is a 9 feet, 8 weight evil material rod with a custom designed full-wells grip made of 4A cork for a discerning customer.

The last is a "Klassic" white 8 feet, 5 weight sweetheart with a Frankie-inspired custom grip as requested by the client.

I am just trying to say that I am still here, keep up the good work gang!

Post 10 Apr 2020, 18:12 • #1868 
Glass Fanatic
Hi John, so glad to hear you're shoulder is in recovery. From the looks of your work you have not missed a beat. The finish on that Klassic is beautiful.

Andy, amazing work juggling multiple projects at once and taking the time to research the Diamondback blanks. Red wraps? Why not?

I have not made a final decision but I am thinking to build my DIamondback out as a 9'3" rod. Which I guess would be something of an oddity -- maybe even one-of-a-kind? Or my shorten it to 9' -- will decide after I tape on guides, line it up & trial cast. Right now, it's getting ten, maybe 11 guides. Nine black snake guides 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,4 & two stripping guides #10, #12. Might be too many? Might not. The fun is in the trials. I will try to post a few pics over the weekend.

Post 10 Apr 2020, 20:20 • #1869 
Glass Fanatic
John, some beautiful builds! Really like the PLG and I am a 2 piece E-glass aficionado!

Andy, a 8' 4wt Golden Shadow custom made for Roberto (talk about incredible casting!)! Holy smokes! What a find! BTW, I like the red wrap idea for the Carbonite.

Post 11 Apr 2020, 09:55 • #1870 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for everyone's contributions,I'm so glad to see John posting again,knew John had surgery,after waiting to hear from him for weeks,finally couldn't wait any longer and called him the other day.
It was so good to hear my friends voice again,good to know that he and his family were doing well.

We had a great chat that went well into overtime,you might be surprised however we often talk about Bamboo,I was glad to learn that during the winter John had finished a tune up on a Bamboo Rod he acquired from me a while back.
Maybe we will get lucky and he will post some pictures of that masterpiece.

John your rod builds look exceptional as usual !! Also Especially like that P.L.G. one of the most under appreciated glass rods of the Fiberglass "Glass-Reinvention Trend".
Thanks For Sharing and very glad to have you back.

Yes all the information about Mr Pragliola is incredible,I'm still reading about his casting techniques,some are variations of commonly used strokes,some are strictly unique with an Italian Flare,all are Most Interesting.

Yes Red is going to be the main color it looks really nice with the slate gray color of the blank,I'm trying to decide what I'll use for accents and where I'll place them.
The wind died down so I'm going to take the rod out again today to do more casting & testing before I finalize the guide sizing and placements.
This is what I have for sizes now
From The Stripper #10,#5,#4,#3,#3,#2,#2,#2,#1,#1.5.0 Large Loop Tip Top.

Pat if I were going to trim that blank to 9' I'd seriously have a look at making it a slightly staggered rod and take the extra 3" off the butt end.

Interestingly enough I found out the other day that oddball lengths were common place at Diamondback.
That sure explained why I have so many 9'3" and 8'9" Blanks.

The 6' Kayak rod was completed yesterday,The second coat of finish was applied this morning,I'm going with water based products for this rod.I'll get some pictures.

No work today going to get outside and blow the stink off.

Tight Lines And Stepping Out Loops
Andy Man

Last edited by The Glass Master on 12 Apr 2020, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Apr 2020, 10:14 • #1871 
Glass Fanatic
Andy - that integrated grip/reel seat on your yak rod looks just great! I love that style on my short rods. Roy

Post 11 Apr 2020, 16:59 • #1872 
Glass Fanatic

Quarantine means more time at home and so i started work on an ijuin hard para 7'2" gifted to me last year by a member... The taper is sweet!

Post 11 Apr 2020, 17:07 • #1873 
Glass Fanatic
Picketpin, awesome start! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Post 13 Apr 2020, 08:27 • #1874 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Hope everyone had the best holiday weekend possible !
Snuck a couple of pictures of the 1 piece Kayak rod in to my previous post.
The rod is finished all done just got to sew a bag n come up with a PVC Tube.
Gotta make a trip to the home improvement store soon my list is getting kinda long.

Picketpin nice to see your multi tasking as well,like the way you take the extra care to cover your grip and seat during the process,it's a good practice to get into !!
Looks like your off to a good start with that project,tell us more !

Of the 3 projects I had started last week 2 are nearly finished.
The Edwards bamboo will go into final rub down mode.
That's where the rod moves to our living room where I hand rub the shafts between my fingers while watching my favorite programs,the friction creates heat the combination of heat and friction rubs out the imperfections in the varnish and smooths everything out,the shafts are looking very good so I anticipate it will go quick,I'll get some pictures up of the rod when it's finished.

The Carbonite has been through guide placement and sizing trials,I can start the thread work today.
Hopefully by days end I'll have the butt section well under way.

I've been stirring the pot to get the creative juices flowing,I've got so many ideas flowing it's difficult to keep focused on the tasks at hand.

Should be starting another Bamboo project maybe a less involved repair rather than another full on restoration ???

Also have a number O.Y.R.S. Graphite rods all ready to wrap,these were next up before the Diamondback Blanks entered the fray.
Before getting derailed,my Goal was to have all 12 of them finished before Easter,Whats that they say about best laid plans ?
Yes defiantly need to get one of these finished.

That will give me 3 projects in process & also buy me enough time to get the next Diamond In The Rough Ready on the side. ;)

Tight Lines And Whats Up Next On Your Bench Loops ?
Andy Man

Post 13 Apr 2020, 10:28 • #1875 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the kind words guys! It helps to keep me going with all this awful rehab.

Driftless, I hear you about 2 piece rods - I'll take one anytime.

Pat, I love that cork/wood reel seat spacer, it is very "Garrisonish" - the strength of wood and the holding power of cork.

Andy, I appreciate the cork wrap on that kayak rod, I almost tried that on the "Klassic" build, but I was not sure how it would look with those invisible/opaque wraps. Maybe the next one! Your shop is starting to look like mine, half-finished graphite blanks on every flat surface. :)

Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply