Nice work Andy !

Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 14 Mar 2020, 07:53 • #1802 
Glass Fanatic
Gorgeous Andy!

Post 16 Mar 2020, 18:49 • #1803 
Guide
PENZZ, on your reco a while back I picked up some PCO and tried it a few times. I like your results and the ones I got as well, but I kinda migrated back to TruOil. PCO does stay thin forever while the TO tends to thicken, but between the skin contact warning and the number of coats required with PCO, I thought maybe I'd try using both in sequence.

Do you see any issues with a final couple coats of PCO over TO? New TO works about like I like, but that last good shine coat is easier, nicer and smoother with PCO. Should the TO cure first, at least mostly? I think they're different oils but not sure. I've tried an example but no long term testing yet.

Post 17 Mar 2020, 08:05 • #1804 
Glass Fanatic
Different oils, different carrier/solvents. To look up the ingredients, just search the product name, adding MSDS. (Material Safety Data Sheet). For the hobbyist, at least, it's good to be leary of witch's brews and stick with one product type for any one finishing project. Trial and error may show differently, but there are so many variables it would be hard to generalize from there.

Post 17 Mar 2020, 09:34 • #1805 
Guide
Yep. Maybe I should've been more specific, as I'm actually asking penzz (or anyone else) if he's tried that specific combo.

Post 17 Mar 2020, 09:47 • #1806 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Whirlly Better to save the Witches Brew for camp fire gatherings,it may be just what the doctor orders ??

Finishing up the Blue Wrapped Orvis Find,Actually during the tune up process was able to find a very faint serial number.
The rod is a "Midge" and was made in 1962.

While testing the rod out on the dock it was clear the guide sizing and placement stunk.
Resized and moved the guides around to a much better placement of my own,moved the tip to another plane as well,Re-wrapped the rod in traditional Orvis Brown nylon,That Blue was ugly, dame ugly.
This rods going to get the honor of being one of this seasons Ready Rods,Lined up in the Gray Ghosts Rod Rack.

Thanks for your kindness fellas glad you like my work !

PREAST, how about you show us your work ?

Tight Lines And Stay Home & Stay Safe Loops
Andy Man

Post 17 Mar 2020, 10:30 • #1807 
Guide
Some recent stuff...

Post 17 Mar 2020, 23:20 • #1808 
Administrator
whrlpool wrote:
Different oils, different carrier/solvents. To look up the ingredients, just search the product name, adding MSDS. (Material Safety Data Sheet).

Sadly, MSDSs have been replaced by a new standard - the Safety Data Sheet (SDS). This new format allows the manufacturer to declare almost everything in the product 'proprietary'. Too many recent SDSs I've read are nearly worthless. It may be possible to find old MSDSs that listed the ingredients on the Wayback Machine.

Tom

Post 17 Mar 2020, 23:42 • #1809 
Guide
Pretty sure TruOil is linseed (at least) and PCO is tung. My thought is once it's cured, it shouldn't matter but who knows. I use spar varnish (which I assume is linseed oil) over TO without issue, and that was without even letting the TO cure.

I guess the next question is how long would it take to find out it was a mistake? Seems like it would show itself pretty quickly, most likely not curing at all?

Post 18 Mar 2020, 03:52 • #1810 
Master Guide
Andy, Penzzz and Preast, Enjoying the reel seat wood working and finishing results on the last several pages. Great deal of information in these many pages.

Post 18 Mar 2020, 06:50 • #1811 
Guide
preast, sorry that I can’t provide any info regarding PCO applied over True-Oil as I’ve never tried doing that. I would think issues would show within the curing stage (I allow mine to cure a few weeks before using the insert). During that time there is some shrinkage of the finish.

Your inserts look great!

Post 18 Mar 2020, 07:13 • #1812 
Glass Fanatic
Aha! That explains why the data sheets looked different to me, showing some of the ingredients--the solvents and oils--but not all of them. I seem to remember that Tru Oil contains spar varnish, and BC's spar formula may be what is listed as proprietary in that category, which I did see on the SDS.

Post 18 Mar 2020, 09:31 • #1813 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful Preast!

What Finish?
Post 18 Mar 2020, 15:46 • #1814 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Those are some really nice looking bits !
Thanks for sharing.
Seems we are going round and round with what we like best for reel seat finish.

Being a rod maker of some years I have had the fortunate circumstance to have learned much of what I know from either my own experiences or those of others.

Back in the days before the internet we had to rely on older craftsman whom were willing to share or books that seemed to leave out the finest of details.

Really think we are more or less Micro Managing the finish process and in a way making it sound allot more complicated than it needs to be.

Keeping things a simple as possible is usually a good process to follow.

As Rod Makers we want our finishes to be tough as nails,we want them to stand up under the most harsh conditions to last generations,every rod We Make We Should Make To Last Generations.

One thing learned during my breif time rod tinkering.

Naturally we all really like our work to look nice,however if most of us had a choice between a rod that was really pretty, only lasting a few seasons, a rod that started out looking nice and after 20 years still performed as new, looked well used, we'd go for performance and well used look.

An Example
25 years ago I offered 3 different reel seats on a series of Graphite Rods I was offering.
(1) Aluminum Black Down Lock. No Up Charge,Up Lock 5 Up Charge
(2) Nickle Silver With Walnut Insert ,Up Or Down Lock. 25 Up Charge.
(3) Black Aluminum With Cork Insert Up Or Down Lock. 15 Up Charge.

Guess what was the most popular reel seat option.
Yes people tend to want simple performance over a certain look.

So in the end what reel seat finish we use is only important in terms of how well it will perform over time.
Boiled Linseed Oil Or Tung Oil,Danish Oil,Or Used Motor Oil With Some Spar Varnish Mixed In The Witches Brew Matters Little.

My Regiment of inserts that are in finish received another coat of Spar Varnish yesterday,was painting a rod blank and dipping it in my varnish,The Warlocks Brew so I added another coat to the inserts because they were already in the cabinet.

Upon Close Inspection had a couple that had dog hair on them,A little hair of the dog.

I'll pull them out and get them outside in the sun today for some air drying,pictures to follow.

Data Sheets Give Me A Break !

Tight Lines And Simple Loops ;)
Andy Man
Interesting Bench Foundlings The Sorting Continues.
A Close Up.
In The Rack.
The Brewski In The Coffee Canski :lol

Post 18 Mar 2020, 20:43 • #1815 
Administrator
For those that want to read a little deeper on finishes and how they work, the best book I have seen is by Bob Flexner - Understanding Wood Finishing, Revised Edition. Unless you are doing a lot of woodworking, getting a copy from your local library or Amazon Prime Lending may be your best option.

There is a chapter on oils and oil/varnish mixes and a separate chapter on varnishes. One of the big take home messages is many of the products labeled 'oil' are in reality diluted varnishes or oil/varnish mixtures. Bob wrote this book by consulting with the chemists at the paint companies and from his experience as a professional finisher. He has a pretty good idea how these products work.

Tom

Post 22 Mar 2020, 15:09 • #1816 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Guys
More or less devoted the better part of 90 hours working on my recent Diamondback Blank Treasure Trove.
Some would find the task/work boring,actually had fun with Sorting,Inventorying,Cleaning,Qualifying Ferrule Unions,Fun Stuff !
I'll be letting folks whom have inquired know what I'm willing to part with soon,the blanks were entered into inventory as they were deemed build ready,next need to get a more organized list by length hada hada.

All the Ferruled sections have been completed deemed build ready and entered into my inventory list,still have many blank butt sections to ferrule,as usual gonna wind up with about 200 more tips than butt sections,chances are some rods could wind up having extra tips,or will consider offering replacement tips ?

Some Really Neat Stuff.

Finally Finished the first of the Diamondback Rods that I'll be putting up,honestly this was not a great starter rod to get me going forward on this new quest. ;D
Purchased a New Old Stock 5000 Yard spool of size A Gudebrod Fuchsia Thread,the reason being my plan was to wrap all the Boron Graphite Rods in this thread,Even though I had some Fuchsia Thread on hand in 50 yard spools,figured rather than rip through those I'd make sure I had enough of the same lot.

From the start everything went fine,I was very excited to have a new project, Choose one of the Cummings Made Reel Seats as a Nod To Vince,The Thread as a Nod To Reggie Galvin,The Grip Shape A Nod To RFMCD, H&H Duel Strippers,R.E.C. Recoils Naturally.
Wrapped The Rod as a side project between other rod's I had committed to,at some point I must of had something on my hands,or maybe the thread had been exposed to something,honestly don't know.

After all my work getting everything just so I mixed and applied my 1st coat of epoxy finish to 2 rods.
For some reason the butt section of the Diamondback fish eyed really bad, the other rod and the tip of this rod were fine no problems.

So you see not everything always goes as planned, no matter how many times you do a thing or how much attention you pay to what your doing,Stuff Happens things go wrong it's all part of rod making.How we deal with gets easier the more time things go wrong.
Now I know that sounds Screwed Up my best lessons were learned from challenges.

Long Story Short Ended up having to strip and re wrap most of the butt section,I'm still not real happy with how the hook keeper and some of the other wrap finishes turned out.
Decided to stop worrying about "THE LOOK" just let everything fully set up and get the rod out on the dock.

The Good news is the rods essentially an amazing performer,reminds me why Boron is such a Good material to make fly rods out of.
knowing this is a Fiberglass board rest assured while this rod is labeled Graphite Boron no doubt some fiberglass got in these blanks.

Hopefully I'll get the time to do more casting with this rod tomorrow,had several rod blanks getting guide sized and placements today.

Also another Bamboo Refurbish showed up last week an Gene Edwards that needs allot of work.

In Closing an off topic note 8o
Hope Everyone Is Staying Hunkered Down And Safe !!! :)

Tight Lines And Keeping Busy At The Bench Loops
Andy Man :P
The Sorting.
Light Dressing To Qualify The Fit.
Thanks For Looking That's All For Now Be Safe !!

Post 22 Mar 2020, 16:48 • #1817 
Glass Fanatic
Wow the boron-graphite rod looks amazing!

Post 23 Mar 2020, 09:55 • #1818 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks Picketpin #52 your kindness is always most appreciated !
In the pictures of all the blank sections laid out you can see the faint differences in the weave of the blanks.
If you look at the weave of the finished rod after the clear coat was applied you can see the distinct pattern of the Boron Graphite composite.

The first part of my sorting process that started 3 weeks ago was to sort the blanks first by color,second by scripted stamped labels.That was the easy part.

Then when it came down to the sanded unfinished blanks,they basically at fist glance just all looked like dull shades of various gray rod shafts,sorting them by weave allowed me to determine what they were in terms of the material and composites.

Had other tell tale indicators some had taped on tags that read Prototype,Noodle,Stiffly,Surf,Tip Flex,Slow,Med,#3 and so on,then I had the "Fakers" these were blanks someone paired together/ taped together and labeled,this must have been a sales ploy because none of the paired sets matched and none of the markings made any sense.

An tag example 8'6" 4 weight on one side on the back side of the tag Boron.
Turns out the butt was Graphite a 9' that paired with the proper fitting tip was actually a 9' 6 weight.
The paired tip was a spinning rod tip that wasn't close to matching the butt section.
Someone actually took the time to pair sections,just writing bogus information on the tags of all 41 of the so called sets.

Excuse me I'm not being completely forth coming 2 of the sets actually were matches apparently the only 4 blanks sections that made it from the rod factory paired.

Gotta say it worked because if I hadn't read those tags on the so called matched blanks I would have never loaded them in my wagon.

It's Been almost like I'd imagine an Archeological Discovery,Complete With Carbon Dating :lol
Honestly all this really just added to the fun,it's all turned out for the better,couldn't be more pleased.

It's a very dreary day here,windy cold and spitting snow flakes so no casting out on the dock today.
As soon as the weather changes for the better I'll get back out on the dock.

I've got to put my Diamondback Blank Challenge on the back burner for now,I would love to spend another week ferruling all the unferruled sections,so far everything has been mostly 2 piece and most all have spigots.
My plan going forward with the unferruled shafts is to experiment with some sleeve over or duel hooded spigots, when I get back to ferruling the blanks concentrating on crafting some 3 piece and 4 piece blanks what I'll call "U.N.C.L.E." Rods.
You Young Folks May Not Get That One ?? "Ducky" Would However ;)

Thanks Again PP #52 !
Be Positive,Keep Busy,And Stay Safe !!!!
Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M

Post 25 Mar 2020, 12:20 • #1819 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, the Diamondback rod looks beautiful! I've got several Classic Trouts and I love that weave pattern and the moderate actions.

STILL AT THE BENCH
Post 26 Mar 2020, 12:26 • #1820 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for your encouragement !
Quote:
Andy, the Diamondback rod looks beautiful! I've got several Classic Trouts and I love that weave pattern and the moderate actions.

The weave after days of looking starring at them became like a scene from the Twilight Zone, kinda Psychedelic No Wonder They Had So Much Fun In Stowe.

Kidding aside I couldn't agree with you more, the weave patterns are truly beautiful,the blanks feel really sweet,yet full of power.

I'd really appreciate learning as much as I can about the early Vermont Diamondback rods and Tapers,These dare I say "Classic Diamondback Blanks" are not your average Graphite, They are as you stated more moderate to down right slow in comparison to the majority of today's Graphite.

I'd appreciate anything you or anyone can tell me about the rods,I'd really be grateful to see pictures !!

Getting back to my bench after putting the Diamondback Challenge on the back burner,not as easy as it sounds,One of my other in-process projects that needed finishing up is the 7'6" 2/1 Orvis Midge that I picked up,the rod from a while back with the blue silk thread,The rod was remade not refinished or refurbished remade,the rod had some issues with a old poorly done repair wrap above the male ferrule ,also had a area about 4" long where the corner edge of the blank was missing a splinter from a hook strike,very small so small you could hardly notice it,after my assessment, guide size and placement trials,my goal became to get this rod so it would be a trustworthy fishing tool for the next 50 years.

This will get the juices flowing of some of the diehard Orvis folks,Remember it's my choice how I choose to remedy a rods issues and get the rod back out on the water without worries.
My goal was to get the rod back on the water any idea of making this a full on restoration was mute.
I'm told the rod sat in the junk shop for 15 years because nobody would take a chance on it,I'm glad I did.

After getting the rod in shape it was time to address the rod tube,the strange thing about the tube was it was for an 8' rod but you had to practically cram the 7'6" rod in to fit.
It was obvious that something was in the bottom of the tube,tried everything including fish hooks on a stick,that usually works fine to pull a wadded up rod bag from the bottom of a tube.

Finally after 3 attempts at different times it was time to stop playing and get this rod off the bench and into it's tube.
Got out the hack saw and sawed off the bottom of the tube,never know could have been wadded up 100 bills,don't laugh rod tubes are good hiding places.

It ended up being a Hartford Times sports page from 1971 intentionally wadded up and put inside to take up space,Wow it stunk worse than old socks,sorry to say no Jewelry or money this time.

The paper made for some interesting reading for what it was or what was ledge able :lol ,decided I'd better get all the mold out of the tube so I scrubbed it with a Diamondback blank section and some oh gosh steel wool, the blank ram rod yielded a surprise it was marked "Green Machine" I'd love to know the story behind that.

Got the tube all cleaned up trimmed and reassembled,the rod received a new rod bag and is repaired remade and ready to go fishing.

This rod is special and was made during a short run "MIDGE" the serial number dates the rod around 1962.
The ferrule size is a 11/64 that's very much on the small side for a 7'6" Orvis the butt is small and you can feel this rod flexing the grip.

During guide sizing and placement trials I tapped on guides and used a 5 weight line,after the rod was finished it wasn't long before I realized that beyond 30' the rod was calling for a number 4 line.
Makes me really wish I had another 50 years to fish with The rod, it's one of those rods we dream about,Magical.

I'll post some pictures.
Hope everyone is staying safe,remember keep safe and keep cool.

Tight Lines And Orvis Midge Loops
Andy M
My Reel Seat Inserts All Dry Now,All That's Left Is Good Butchers Wax Before I Mount Them.
Found The Number 35 Interesting A Price ??
MOLD
The Ram Rod ~ "GREEN MACHINE"
Clean As A Whistle.
End cap being replaced.
Some Very Light Reading.
The Test.
The Over Wrap At The Splinter.
That's All For Now Thanks For Looking !!
Keep Safe !!

Post 27 Mar 2020, 08:26 • #1821 
Glass Fanatic
A-Man, The weave on the D-Backs is sick! I can only imagine what it looks like in hand. Your package almost ready to mail -- it's drying time again! But, back to the diamond mine... looking forward to the prepped and prettied up D-Back.

Those seat inserts are pretty. For this project I have a nice NOS vintage Rodon downlocker -- copper/brown hardware with a dark wood insert (not sure what kinda wood) think will look nice.

What color thread were the original D-Backs wrapped? I might go black thread on black snakes.

Post 27 Mar 2020, 09:21 • #1822 
Master Guide
Andy,
I have a question on the blue wrapped Orvis 7'6" midge you've remade. You mentioned adjusting the placement of the guides, but it looks like you've seen fit to add some in as well? It's hard for me to count in the picture you've posted, but it looks like at least 10 and as many as 12 guides (obviously you've positioned them so the change in the line angle isn't much at each one so it makes counting the ones at the tip hard to see) but Orvis originally put 9 guides on this 7'6" rod, correct? Is there science behind the choice you made that you'd share, or is this in the realm of art? I ask as the typical rod books state to start at "length in feet +1" for the number of guides, and I'm curious if it was casting or static deflection that convinced you to up the count.

Post 28 Mar 2020, 12:28 • #1823 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
PP52; Those thread and reel seat choices look very fitting,I know your going to have fun with this project,of course if you have any questions I'll be glad to help,just don't have time for beginners at this juncture,that was one of the things people never got about my friend Johnny,he used to call me all the time ranting about how the industry was abandoning the guys that Make Rods to put food on the table.

THANKS FOR YOUR QUESTION
Quote:
I have a question on the blue wrapped Orvis 7'6" midge you've remade. You mentioned adjusting the placement of the guides, but it looks like you've seen fit to add some in as well? It's hard for me to count in the picture you've posted, but it looks like at least 10 and as many as 12 guides (obviously you've positioned them so the change in the line angle isn't much at each one so it makes counting the ones at the tip hard to see) but Orvis originally put 9 guides on this 7'6" rod, correct? Is there science behind the choice you made that you'd share, or is this in the realm of art? I ask as the typical rod books state to start at "length in feet +1" for the number of guides, and I'm curious if it was casting or static deflection that convinced you to up the count.

7'6" 2/1 Orvis Midge that I picked up,the rod from a while back with the blue silk thread,The rod was remade not refinished or refurbished remade,the rod had some issues with a old poorly done repair wrap above the male ferrule ,also had a area about 4" long where the corner edge of the blank was missing a splinter from a hook strike,very small so small you could hardly notice it,after my assessment, guide size and placement trials,my goal became to get this rod so it would be a trustworthy fishing tool for the next 50 years.

Actually only added one guide,the guide about 8" in front of the stripping guide,without that Tamer the angle between the stripper and the first snake was at a very sharp angle,the test is not anything to do with static deflection,the guide placement and sizing trial was done well before the rod was finished,what I'm testing is to see if my 2 repair wraps are going to take the stress of landing or turning a fish without breaking.
Fortunately I'm confident that my goal to get this rod so it would be a trustworthy fishing tool for the next 50 years is realized,at least for now,we never know ??
I'll have to check how many guides my other Orvis Rods Have,I'll take you at your word.

Moving the guides was more to aid me in my blank repairs,by using the guide feet and wraps where they could be of more an advantage to the blank structurally.
The guide that's usually about 3" above the male ferrule was moved to just above the ferrule conjoining the repair wrap and the ferrule and guide wraps.these slight changes in a guides placement made the repair a nearly invisible yet highly effective solution.

However now with the guide moved down 3" that made the distance between the next guide 3" greater.
I'll get back to that.

When you are working with a bamboo blank that has issues the best thing is to replace the effected section naturally,when replacement is not a reasonable solution,knowing how best to approach these situations becomes very important.
No 2 rod issues will ever be identical,so every repair is a custom repair.

Depending what the rod maker has in his tool box makes the difference between a lasting repair or a rod that sits in a tube for 15 years waiting for the right guy to come along and put humpty dumpty back together again.

The hook strike was smack dab in the center between two guides 3rd and 4th from the tip top.
the splinter was long gone,after looking at the splinter under my glass it was apparent that this was what had sidelined the rod.
Taped off the splinter on either side and used some of my wood hardener,3 or 4 coats,next was a coat of epoxy and some light sanding afterwords to get everything smooth.

The brown silk repair wrap was next followed by 2 coats of thinned epoxy.
The repair wrap at the ferrule got the same exact treatment.

Sorry for jumping around,next after the repairs were fully completed and now I was working with a bare repaired tip section ready to have the guides sized and placed.
At this point you should know the Butt section was completed and the tip bare,decided the opposite plane for the guides looked like a better foundation for the guide feet,the tip had a lazy mans set.
Looked like someone fished worms the way the tip laid :lol

All funning aside is was when I had the guides taped on that I spun them around to the opposite flat and the rod felt much smoother.

Had two predetermined guide placements Guide A just above the ferrule and Guide B Smack Dab Between #3 and #4
Those were constants so the rest of the guides needed to be sized and placed from a starting point with 2 known locations.

Realize some people stress over number of guides,charts,recommendations,forget all that junk,the rod blank will tell you where to put the guides and how many guides it wants if you speak the blanks language.
Factory rods will usually have the least number of guides because the more guides the more time and money it costs to make the rod.

Basically to keep this from getting into one of those debates I got out my measuring tape and took some placement measurements starting from the ferrule guide and taped the next guide on 7" away if memory serves me right ,next one 7 1/2" and so on until I got the the tip repair guide,then I moved them all a little to make things more evenly spaced,did a deflection test,moved them as needed,more tests,some casting,changed sizes,more casting,changed sizes again,moved them to the opposite side,another change in size and a couple of slight location adjustments.

When I felt satisfied that I had gotten it right put the rod aside for 2 days,then took it back out and cast it again,changed the tip top to a smaller loop,got going by dressing the guide feet and went to work wrapping the tip.

Finished the rod waited a couple more days to make sure everything was cured and took the rod out and cast it, fooled around with some different lines,took some pictures did the Land A Lunker Test,it passed and went to work getting the tube cleaned up.
That about brings us up to date maybe a few more pictures ???
Hope I answered your questions !!!Thanks Again For Your Interest.

I'd venture to guess that my repairs are maybe stronger than the rest of the rod ??
Wish I had The next 50 years to find out.

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy Man
Tip Repair Guide B
Guide A At The Ferrule Repair see if you can see the repair wrap between the guide feet?
Next Up 8' 3/2 Gene Edwards 5 Weight Restoration,this was a rod that came in that someone had done a hack-job on,one of the worst refinishing jobs, a complete travesty,I'm doing a complete restoration when the rod finished it will be back to acceptable standards at the very least.

Last edited by The Glass Master on 03 Apr 2020, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 14:35 • #1824 
Master Guide
Thank you Andy!
That was a good read, and I appreciate the additional insight into the remake. It's generous of you to give so many details into the thought process, constraints, and solutions as you get that rod ready for the water again. It's fun to follow along and pick up pointers.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 14:48 • #1825 
Guide
Always cool stuff here.

Something I've been working on recently for a McFarland yellow classic trout.

Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply