It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:36

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 14 Aug 2013, 23:48 • #126 
The insert on that is an acrylic pen blank put into REC hardware, turned up by the secretary at the Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club.

Correct, first glass rod, I've wrapped up a couple of bamboo rods (a Taransky as well as an Indigo Creek blank) and a graphite or two but this one I've put a bit more effort into, also learnt a bit more about using spar varnish on the wraps too, just starting to get a finish I'm happy with. There's something about the colour of the Epics that needs those points of difference.

Post 19 Aug 2013, 13:17 • #127 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Interesting reading on the northern suburbs fly fishing club!
Tight lines and nsff loops
Andy M

Post 19 Aug 2013, 13:43 • #128 
Master Guide
Quote:
Interesting Reading On The Northern Suburbs Fly Fishing Club!

Cool stuff. I liked the water photos and the mayfly in amber.

Post 27 Aug 2013, 17:25 • #129 
Guide
Since the original post was What's on your Bench, I have much, way to much, but I am waiting for a new rod dryer/finishing motor set up from Roger Wilson. It will have a foot control for spinning the rod at the speed I want for applying finish, a reverse, and a speed dial for when I wish to set it for drying the rod at whatever speed I think best. Really looking forward to it.

Post 28 Aug 2013, 08:50 • #130 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, this is as close as I ever got to a Conroy:

Thomas C. Conroy (the son) I only have the butt and one mid section. It sits on the shelf next to my bench. Folks on the other forum thought it was a two-handed salmon rod. :)

Post 28 Aug 2013, 09:13 • #131 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very nice hard rubber butt cap!
I have been regretting letting mine go ever since, the rod needed a full restoration, one of the tips was de laminating, I needed some cash so I sold it, big mistake!
Maybe you will get lucky and come by another donor for it.
I'll check the archive to see if I can find pictures of the one I let go.
Tight lines and conroy loops
Andy M

Post 28 Aug 2013, 17:56 • #132 
Glass Fanatic
Finally had a chance to post a few pictures of my Berkley Talisman rebuild. Image
I stripped the blank and replaced the hardware, using some snake guides I had on hand. The reel seat was pretty beat up and so I used an old pair of polished aluminum sliding bands from the parts bin. I turned the cork grip and reel seat. On the lawn it casts a 6wt and a 5wt, and I like the 5wt better. The 6 seems to overload it, which really surprised me.Image

Last edited by picketpin52 on 28 Aug 2013, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.

Post 28 Aug 2013, 18:11 • #133 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I like your color choice , those blanks are not easy to get looking as good as that one, very nice job!
Tight lines and Berkley loops
Andy M

Post 28 Aug 2013, 19:49 • #134 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Andy. The rod came pretty clean, and easier than I thought. I just brushed on the gunk and let it sit, and but for a few spots the paint came off fairly easily. I'm pleased with the way the blank cleaned up. The thread is Gudebrod Orange nylon A with color preserver, which came out just OK ... there are a few areas where the finish is blotchy. I used four coats of Polycrylic, full strength. Does anyone else use this as CP? Does anyone thin it to achieve better thread saturation?

All in all this was a fun project. I think I'll bring this rod to the Housy Clave and fish it!

Post 06 Dec 2013, 12:21 • #135 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
This has been a great topic with all kinds of neat stuff added over time.
I added a new well new for me thread storage box to my shop recently that I thought I'd share here in hopes to revitalize this fun topic.
As many of you know I'm a thread hoarder, I have a thing for thread, one of the challenges with hoarding thread is keeping it clean, properly stored and accessible so you can match the colors when selecting the right color or combination of colors.
I picked up this storage box at the local flea market for 7 bucks it's got some character, one of the draws needed a new bottom and was separating at the joints, the box was filthy dirty so after some repairs and cleaning followed by a coat of howards restor a finish the walnut box is worthy of storing a few miles of thread.
Tight lines and what's on your bench loops
Andy M

Post 06 Dec 2013, 16:06 • #136 
Glass Fanatic
AHA! that's where all the classic twist went.. That orange and brown is kind of sexy. Where's the Clown wrap? I know it's there somewhere, just waiting for one of those square Panfish restorations.
My bench is in waiting. Winter is coming and I have two builds in mind. The 723 that Andy gave me and an unknown 9' 3pc #unknown. #8 if I had to guess, metal ferruled, tobacco brown. I mounted a grip and seat to it a few years ago and have been waiting for the spirit to move me. The ghost marks will be visible but that don't bother me none. I don't think the smallmouths with care either. I've got some "One Shot" clear finish I want to try for a finish on that one's wraps. "One Shot" makes some wonderful striping and lettering paint and I'm hoping the clear will flow as sweetly.
Cheers
RFMcD

Post 06 Dec 2013, 16:36 • #137 
Glass Fanatic
Hey that was post 800 for me. Any prizes?

Post 06 Dec 2013, 17:09 • #138 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You get a prize when you hit 5000 so keep posting :smokin
Tight lines and just think only 4199 more for the big prize loops
Andy M :p

Post 06 Dec 2013, 18:02 • #139 
Glass Fanatic
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
You Get A Prize When You Hit 5000 So Keep Posting :smokin
Tight Lines And Just Think Only 4199 More For The Big Prize Loops
Andy M :P

Ouch! That's a serious thread stash.

Post 12 Dec 2013, 22:54 • #140 
nice post. I just finished reading em all. fun stuff. I don't have any pic's to show. I am in the process of extending my shop from a 10x14 to a 10x20. I am building a new fly tyiny bench, a rod threading stand and a handle turning stand. I have a couple of rods to be finished and will start to make glass rod handles.
I also will be building SoF kayaks and fly fishing prams.
Outlaw

Post 12 Dec 2013, 22:57 • #141 
Administrator
Outlaw wrote:
I also will be building SoF kayaks and fly fishing prams.
Outlaw

You MUST post photos of these as you build them! Please!

Tom

Post 13 Dec 2013, 18:49 • #142 
will do as soon as I finish my shop. I have a 14' for my wife that I need to skin and a 20' double that I built 14 yrs ago that needs a new skin and will maybe shorten it to 16'. I have a couple more kayaks to design and build that will be 16'.
I drew up plans for an 8' pram that will be skinned and have a paddle wheel on the back that I will pedal and be able to troll and or stand and cast.
really need to get my FG poles done to. I have a 7' about 3 or 4 weight, solid glass from way back that I have stripped down and all new stuff will go on it. hopefully I will be able to do a carbon handle for it too. well that's it for now. keep posting stuff on this, I had a very good read on what you all are doing. fun posts. thanks.
Outlaw

Post 13 Dec 2013, 23:20 • #143 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Welcome outlaw!
Very cool, we have some fellow boat builders on board, maybe some of them will chime in , this is a good place to talk boats or anything else fishing related or not.
Tight lines and floating loops
Andy M

Post 14 Dec 2013, 05:44 • #144 
Glass Fanatic
Outlaw Welcome.
Haven't built any skin on frames but worked with a guy that used to make them a lot. He used shrink wrap for skins. They didn't weigh as much as a good straw hat.
I prefer the wooden open skiffs. http://www.dhylanboats.com/plans/westpo. .. _plans.pdf
I made it into one of the pictures. My best looking side too. I built 3 of those watermelon slices for the same customer. One too heavy, one too light and then Goldilocks. Those colors are what you get when you let me pick them. The yacht in the background is Grayling, a 1915 sardine carrier that we rebuilt into a yacht. She's a real head turner all along the East Coast. Goldilocks is the perfect tender when she is in the Bahamas, that's why I chose those colors.
RFMcD

Post 14 Dec 2013, 12:29 • #145 
thanks all. that Westport is one neat skiff. also, Grayling is soo sweet, that's my kind of sail boat.
Outlaw

Post 18 Dec 2013, 21:58 • #146 
Glass Fanatic
ratfacedmcdougal wrote:
Where's the Clown wrap? I know it's there somewhere, just waiting for one of those square Panfish restorations.

Ha!
Nice skiff, too.

Post 19 Dec 2013, 23:55 • #147 
Master Guide
Change of gear here. I had a vial of clear liquid rust inhibitor that one could dab on blistering finish, say a magnesium reel exposed to salt or put away wet, and it would almost reverse the damage, smooth it somewhat, and prevent further oxidation. My local tackle dealer had given it to me, but he has since left the area, and I have no idea what it was or if it or something like it is commercially available. Do any of you have anything like this or know of something like it?

Post 21 Jan 2015, 12:04 • #148 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's been about a year since this oldie but goodie surfaced.
We must have lots of winter projects going on.
I'm working on replacing a cork grip on a Fenwick G Model FF75 today for my good friend Battenkill Russ.

Also tinkering around with one of my Little Scrappers,The blank was ferruled back in November and today when doing a Static Deflection Sample noticed a click in the upper aluminum ferrule.
Good thing I noticed it now ,looks like the ferrules got to be reset before I can get this one wrapped up.

No big doings just wondering what other folks might be up to or have to share.
Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench ? Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Jan 2015, 21:02 • #149 
Guide
If this is still about the bench, I see 2 Kabutos, a James Green, an Angler's Roost, assorted Lamiglas, Reed and some cane ready to plane.. I love winter, and retirement!

Post 22 Jan 2015, 09:08 • #150 
Master Guide
I was trying to turn a reel seat insert without a lathe. I've made a few out of cork, and stepped up to pine bark this go round.

I'm pairing it with other things I just had laying around. A blem graphite blank, some leftover guides, some reject pile cork... and I've almost got a new rod.

I just need to do some final sanding on the insert and handle and add tipping and signature wraps and decide on epoxy or varnish.
[img]https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/pb/coldpass/F5A28CE3-F6BD-49A7-9385-9C347E677B54.jpg[\img]

Last edited by ColdPass on 22 Jan 2015, 10:08, edited 2 times in total.

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply