It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:37

Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 27 May 2020, 06:58 • #2001 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work on the reel seat Andy! I've always used painters or masking tape to take up extra space between the blank and seat. Do you feel the foam is better? Thanks!

Post 27 May 2020, 09:35 • #2002 
Guide
Nice work on the seat Andy and thanks for showing the effects of the Gudebrod color preserver. It really has little influence on thread color - similar to lacquer finish.

Post 29 May 2020, 07:32 • #2003 
Guide
A lot of great work and great tips since I last checked in. I’m finally nearing the finish line on my Epic build, although the finish line typically moves further away a few times during the process. Thanks to the advice from Eastslope I settled on Buckeye Burl for the reel seat spacer.

I went through a few different blanks before I found that one. The grey color in my mind provides the right amount of contrast from the white blank, nickel hardware, and cork grip. This piece was particularly “punky” and some minor surgery was needed during the turning process, but that’s where the character comes from. I was close to using a boxelder burl spacer but wanted that contrast.

There was some discussion a while back about dust issues. I had some issues as well during the finishing process for the spacers I turn. Below is a photo of the very advanced, very high tech dust system that I used during the last batch that actually worked really well. Just wipe down the inside, put the spacers on a nail and snap the lid on.

Hope everyone is doing well and finds some time this weekend to either fish or tinker, or both.

Post 29 May 2020, 10:03 • #2004 
Guide
Nice work on those reel seat inserts - love that Buckeye burl you chose. Can't wait to see in on the finished rod.
Ron

Post 29 May 2020, 16:51 • #2005 
Master Guide
Lot of great work going on since I last checked. I took a break from the bench, wife and I are out camping and doing some fishing. Had to get out of the house!
Bruce

Post 30 May 2020, 11:21 • #2006 
Glass Fanatic
Well finished up the "Monty" rebuild - for a Frankenstein mismatch of parts from different places, I kinda like how it turned out! Cast in the backyard with a Wulff Triangle Taper Floating 7 weight line and it was pretty comfortable to cast. Gonna have to get her wet in a local pond this weekend and see if I can put a bend in her :-)

Post 01 Jun 2020, 11:27 • #2007 
Sport
My first build just came off my bench. It's a 9ft 7wt graphite kit from Red Truck that my wife got me for my birthday. I learned a lot from this thread, as well as everyone who has posted tips and tricks on this forum, so thank you all for the help in getting this completed.

While it's not perfect, it's fishable and I can't wait to get it out on the water.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 11:44 • #2008 
Guide
Great job Kata2012, thanks for sharing your first build with us. The good feel you’re experiencing will not wear off anytime soon.

Jeff

JASPERS & FIBERGLASS
Post 01 Jun 2020, 13:01 • #2009 
Glass Fanatic
Hello All
The 8' Herters should be arriving in my friends Dooryaard today.
Hopefully he will let us know what he thinks after he gets the rod out on the water .

The Jenkins P.L.G. took me about 2 hours to wrap,I timed myself and did a step by step real time photo pictorial,that included 15-20 min waiting for the epoxy to set the tip top.
Not bad for a 1/2 Blind Senior Citizen if I do say so myself. :x

After finishing the thread work I applied a first soaking coat of Gudebrod Color Preservative,Gudebrod C.P. is a Lacquer based color fixative.
You should always test The Material in a obscure place on the blank,make sure the C.P. isn't going to effect paint or finishes on the blank before use. "Today's Tip"

Really dig the way this thread jives with the blank color it's just groovy baby :lol

After applying 3 coats of C.P. started with the first finish top coat yesterday,I'm applying 3 coats of Polycrylic water based,followed by a U.V. stabilized clear,2 coats as my final.

Today I'll get some photo's of the second coat of https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/interior/minwax-polycrylic-protective-finish being applied.

Next up will be finishing the H.I. Cascade for my Grandson.
Had another request to make a First Rod for a 4 year old named "Oliver", think I'll script the rod
The "Artful Dodger" :P

I'm very glad to hear/see the Monty is headed to the water again renewed for at least another generation.
Bravo !!

The reel seat inserts look like Candy with all the figuring reminds me of pulled taffy.
Very nice work !!

Please Excuse The Focus,Note The Time 11:01
Another Tip.
Note The Tiny Scratch,This Is How Most Old School Production Rod Wrappers Mark Patterns Etc on a rod blank,I heard A Jack Rabbit Complaining about the practice when rebuilding an old rod ,the comments made me laugh.
The point was the miniature scratches were potentially damaging and therefor irresponsible of the person whom had wrapped the rod 50 years prior. 50 Years ???
The Guide Size Progression From Size # 5 Far Left To # 1 Center To Standard Loop Tip Top.
Determining Male Union Penetration Depth.
These Depths Are Important In Planning Your Thread Wrap Lengths To Assure Proper Hoop Reinforcement At The Ferrule Union.
Incorporating The Guide Foot Wrap Location Into Ferrule Hoop Reinforcement.
Also please have a look see at the guide placement board in the background,the tip section is getting 7 guides,the tips guide size progression is #4 #3 #3 #2 #2 #2 #1 TT
The Guide Count Total Including The #9 Stripper, #5 Tamer =10
Guide Location Moved To A More Supportive Stance.
The Stop On The Butt Male End.
Next before I Start Thread Work On The Tip Section I First Apply C.P. To The Finished Butt Sections Thread Work,This prevents the work from being disturbed and socks it down in place.
Note 32 Min have elapsed since I started working with the thread work,The Hook keeper was done a few days prior,showing off my thread choice so we should add a few min to the elapsed time in all fairness.

Next The Ferrule wrap length is being determined,I'm measuring the O.D. at the female ferrule,I get 300 Thousands + or -,The old rule of thumb is 2 1/2 times the O.D. I Like 3 X that gives me 900 Thousandth's of an inch,A case where more is actually more and better in my opinion. :eek
Look Close See The Tiny Scratch Mark.
The Last 300 Thousandth's from the end is getting a double wrap for good measure,ferrule support rings protect the blank from splitting when you have the 2 sections of the rod come apart during mid cast or when playing a fish,sure they also help under normal circumstances but should never be thought of as a thread hoop strength reinforcement replacement.
Nothing Replaces Experience,I Am An Expert When It Comes To Ferrules,Any Ferrule,I'm The Guy Other Rod Makers Went To When They Had Trouble Figuring Out A Ferrule Solution, Not Because I Hold A Degree In Engineering,Because I Have 50 Years Worth Of Experience Under My Belt Designing,Making,Fitting, Repairing And Refitting Ferrule Unions. :lol Short Cuts = Short Comings.
Okay we are currently a little over an hour into this,considerable time was spent on the ferrule thread work.
The Ferrule is the most important part of any rod project,everything else is easy to remedy if it fails,if the ferrule splits or the rod snaps at the ferrule your up knob creek ;) treat the ferrule with great care and consideration the rest is gravy.
Getting Closer. :lol
All The Guides with the exception of the tip top are completed,getting ready to singe all the wraps prior to attaching the tip top.
Lone Tip Top.
After Allowing 20 Min for the epoxy to kick the tip top wrap is finished.
All the time taking the photo's not subtracted the rod was wrapped start to finish in just over 2 hours.

Hope you enjoy My Little Step By Step Pictorial,Equally Hope you have gained some insight from my sharing.

Remember It Isn't Over Until The Fat Lady Sings,Stay Safe,Keep Your Family's Safe,Keep The Faith !!!
That's all for now as I'm under strict orders to limit my time at the bench and keyboard.
Tight Lines And Persevering Loops
Andy Man

PS
Nice work on your first build you posted it while I was making my pictorial,very nice going perfect isn't as important as catching is. :eek

Last edited by The Glass Master on 03 Jun 2020, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 13:41 • #2010 
Glass Fanatic
Nice tutorial Andy! Whew! No way can I wrap that fast!

33 RPM
Post 01 Jun 2020, 20:31 • #2011 
Glass Fanatic
Hello

Thanks for your kindness Drifter glad you liked my little pictorial !! :eek
It's always nice to see the work being done.

The Strange thing is wasn't intending on timing myself,it just worked out that way with the time sequence of the pictures, just working at a normal pace.
5 Min is about the average time it takes me to wrap a guide one color 8-10 2 colors.
This Jaspers thread is size A Nylon when I'm wrapping OO Nylon or Silk The Time Increases by a factor of X3.

Had figured the rod was going to take about 3 hours to finish was pretty close,the thread finish process takes about 10 min per coat to apply, 3 coats C.P. + 3 another coats Top Coat = more of less 60 min. Figure the script to take another 10 min then 2 dip coats.
By the time I'm all finished I'll have about 5 hours total into this rod including making a bag and tube.

I'm not in any hurry I'm way too tired to hurry these days the pace is just my natural gate.
Was actually surprised how quick things came together myself :D
Tight Lines And Lazy Loops
Andy M
Hobby Lobby Kids Isle Really Reasonably Price Point.
The Gray Ghosts New Trout Stickers.

Post 02 Jun 2020, 06:21 • #2012 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet stickers and camper van!!!

Post 02 Jun 2020, 06:21 • #2013 
Master Guide
I'll echo the respect to the speed of experience. I suppose we already knew you worked fast to produce as many rods as you do, but that's pretty impressive. Thanks for showing the compass trick. That is a great way to get the wraps to match. I've tried measuring, eyeballing, counting threads, but that has a lovely efficiency to it. Precise and repeatable.

Nice stickers too. :)

Post 02 Jun 2020, 09:44 • #2014 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Again
I'm glad to help the compass is a great aid to getting everything to match up.

The Gray Ghost Was Headed For The Junk Yard.
The 1988 G20 Conversion Van was the Gig Van For A Heavy Metal Band that played the club scene in the Big Apple.
The stickers are now covering the Ghosts where the bands logo was originally painted on the Van.

Re - Building The Ghost has been an at times frustrating endeavor,fortunately the junk yards were full of G20 Vans for parts.
We started by going through all the mechanics's,we started with a Van only running on 7 of 8 cylinders that leaked every fluid and burned oil.
The Van Had 67.000 Original Miles but was never serviced,then it sat in a garage for 18 years where we found it.

After 9 months of getting the old girl back in Running Order My Wife and I Stripped the interior bare, we worked together for another year and replaced everything,we now have a Queen Size Bed,Hot and Cold Running Water,A Heater,Air Conditioning,Boggie Van Lights,A.C.Power,A Fridge That Runs On A.C. & D.C.,Toilet,Generator All The Comforts Of Home For Me And My Better Half.
Unfortunately No More Tent Camping Sleeping On The Ground For Me,I Love A Sleeping Bag Out Under The Stars. :)

The Stickers were a final finishing touch a gift to our selves for a job well done.

I'm actually in the process of installing solar panels just trying to decide on the best bang for the buck.
It seams solar is constantly improving so anything I use will be obsolete in 6 months.
Any Advice On Solar Would Be Appreciated.??

Tight Lines And Boggie Van Loops
Andy M
Shakespeare Ugly Sticks Not Just Great For Tomato Stakes :lol

Post 04 Jun 2020, 13:19 • #2015 
Guide
Well Andy, I don't know what's more impressive, the amount of rod projects you get through or the fact you and your wife restored that van? I guess it's all impressive!
Nice work.
As for your solar install, your best bang for your buck will depend on your specific battery capacity needs as this will determine if you can get away with simple 12v system with PWM charge controller or would be better served by using 24v panel(s) residential grid-tie panel(s) converted to your 12v system through an MPPT charge controller. RV specific 12v panels are - watt for watt - usually priced much higher than 24v grid-tie panels. This is important if you expect/require high amperage demand in your van (running an inverter to power electronics etc), but if you are only powering the basics (lights, furnace fan, water pump) you may only need a single 100 watt panel. In that case stick with a 12v panel and don't waste your money on a higher watt system and a more expensive and efficient MPPT charge controller. In fact with a van I would look at the slim flexible 12v panels that essentially stick on the roof of your unit.
I went through this a few years ago when I installed a system on my 33' family travel trailer, but my specific demands are likely much greater with a family of 4 than what you require.
Ron

Post 05 Jun 2020, 08:38 • #2016 
Guide
Finally completed my most recent project. I’m really happy with how it turned out. The color scheme ended up being somewhat difficult to get right, but I think it can together nicely thanks to some input from others here.

On deck I have a 7’ 5 piece travel rod blank that I’m going to build out for a buddy. That will have to wait a bit because as you can see from the background of my pictures, my more immediate project on deck is refinishing my deck. Have a good weekend everyone.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 09:13 • #2017 
Master Guide
That looks really nice VDub! The light blue and buckeye go fantastic together.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 10:13 • #2018 
Guide
VDub, the rod looks great. Very sharp combination with the buckeye seat filler. And if you didn't like it, I would take it off your hands!
Ron

12 Volt House Power
Post 05 Jun 2020, 10:50 • #2019 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for your Solar Input,these days the idea of our little Fishing Camper Van is to get away from family not bring them with us. :(
I've already done all my Calculations,have everything installed in place,we plan or are looking to put up 1 100 watt panel, Our House 2 12 Volt House Batteries charge up really quick when we run the Van,We Also Have A Gas Generator For the Heavy Lifting,The Solar Will Be Added Just As A Booster.

The reason I'm putting Solar up for suggestions is because I've been hearing about a Solar Paint.
You paint the surface, the paint generates power.anybody have any hands on experiences with this technology ?
Another Consideration Before Pulling The Trigger Is Finding A Reasonably Priced Unit Made In America.
Want To Support Our Economy.

My Gosh VDub32 that birds egg blue matches the color of a 67 VW Bug I owned,no kidding,"Bug Bug" as my Daughters first words were.
That rod looks absolutely spectacular you did a fantastic job of putting the rod together,Very Very Nicely Done !!!!

Getting back to my P.L.G. project the thread work went kinda quick but getting back to get the finish done has been more hit or miss.
However between multiple other projects I've managed to get 2 coat of top coat on before taking these pictures.
You will see the color fastness is not as true and the Jaspers Thread is slightly darker,The Gudebrod C.P. Works best with Gudebrod Thread,over the years have found I get good results with most threads Rice,Sunset,Danville,Herters,J&P Coats and others very good color fastness,However This Jaspers Is Made By the Holland Thread Company.
The Slightly Darker Tone Will Grow On You With Time I Suppose.
Next Time I'll Apply More than 3 Coats Of The C.P. before starting final finish. :eek
The Top Coat Being Applied.
I'm Planning on doing the scripting today next the rod will go into clear coat later today.

I've been on other unscheduled projects,a guy that grew up hanging around my place showed up with a bunch of salt water fishing rods and reels he got from me 10 years ago,this guy actually is one of the rod shop hang around guys that took my rod making class when he was 12.

Anyhow helped him get his and his fathers fishing gear good to go before the tide the other morning,he works 3rd shift and was knocking before Coffee. ;D

Have A Promise To be Taken Out On The Sound In His Dads Boat As My Reward For Helping.

Speaking Of Being out on the water started some much needed dock repairs,last winter while mild took a toll on our 65 year old dock,spent 3 days this week so far playing dock builder.
One of the neighbors stopped over to see what was going on with the ARC as they call it.
Realized that I have been working on the dock, building it, repairing it and keeping it safe for the family s use for over 55 years now.Still Haven't Figured Out How It Became My Job ????? :|

It funny how when you work with your hands how you can remember a joinery you made when you were 12 and another improvement when you were 20 and so on.
Can't help but wonder whom if anyone will keep things afloat when I'm gone.
The Next 2 Generations Headed out the other evening for some bass fishing in the Quwit Yurr Bichen .
They Were out until 11 PM,They came back with some tall tale of a monster fish that was pulling the boat around that got away right at the net. :lol They caught some nice fish they showed me cell phone proof.

Thanks for sharing whats on your benches !

Tight Lines And No Matter What Never Give In Loops :eek
Stay Safe !!
Andy M

Post 05 Jun 2020, 12:31 • #2020 
Sport
The thread looks great! What's it called? Do you think I could find some on eBay?

Post 06 Jun 2020, 06:52 • #2021 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah I like how the jasper went a bit darker!

Post 06 Jun 2020, 09:27 • #2022 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm actually thinking the color darkening tint has something to do with the way light reflects through the Polycrylic. ? I'm going to do some sampling and get back on that.

The P.L.G. scripting was done yesterday ,as poor looking as my chicken scratch script has become,it still provides my unique personal touch.
Surprisingly many of my friends have told me how much they appreciate my hand written Scriptures :lol

Last Month I was getting a few negative sidebar comments about rod work that wasn't featuring fiberglass rods,adhering to our creed I naturally addressed the complainants/snarky comments by doing my best to finish up the non fiberglass work as quietly as possible.
Then after mentioning the situation a judgement call from Tom was made that other materials are welcome in moderation.

If we back cast to now to 05/11/20 16:09 • Post Number #1940 the 8' 3/1 O.Y.R.S. 5 Weight Graphite IM 6 rod project had moved into thread work stage.

Since 05/18 the rod has been finished,I'd like to share the rod here.
In all the time I have been sharing rod projects here on FFR I had been working with these blanks long before I started contributing here.
However because they are Carbon Based I seldom if ever made mention of them.

Won't get into all the details of how amazing these rods are,never had one come back,never had a complaint, don't hesitate to Script My Name On Them. :)

These Rods have been offered as a inexpensive alternative custom bench made fly rod.
Most of the rods are wrapped as this one is in Size C Nylon thread,if I didn't tell you most would never notice,it makes the wrapping go much faster,the thread finish is usually epoxy also to save time.
This One has a Polycrylic No CP Finish.

When making the deal for the blanks purchased more than thought I'd ever be able to use,after giving away more than maybe I should have,this is second to last of the 8' 3/1 blanks some 15 years later :eek

It is a good feeling irregardless of anyone's misguided judgements or snarky comments,to be finishing up my languishing projects finally seeing the light at the end.

Tight Lines And Carbon That Feels Like Glass Loops
Andy M
The Sunfish and Bluegills were biting yesterday,They Sure Didn't Catch On That The Rod Wasn't Fiberglass :lol
PS
Check Out This Nasty Spider.

Post 07 Jun 2020, 12:07 • #2023 
Master Guide
Back at the bench after a camping and fishing break. I finished wrapping the tip section on the green sparkly blank and applied a few coats of thinned spar just before I left on our camping trip. Doesnt look too bad. Plan on applying more coats of spar on the wraps eventually. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38734&start=1925#p373769
I used Goldenrod silk thread from anglers workshop. Need to work on the butt section next, new grip, reelseat, and wrap the remaining guides. Bruce

Last edited by paramount51 on 07 Jun 2020, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Jun 2020, 16:05 • #2024 
Glass Fanatic
Lookin' good Bruce!

Post 08 Jun 2020, 07:14 • #2025 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Really like the way the sparkle shown through,looking great.
Tight Lines And Glittering Loops
Andy M

Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply