It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:39

Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 12 May 2020, 14:02 • #1951 
Guide
Thanks for that Andy and I look forward to seeing you progress through those rods. As for vintage silk, I do use a bit of Belding/Corticelli silk from time to time and there are some challenges with respect to fuzzies compared to some of the newer silk threads like Kimono brand which is very nice to work with.

Bruce, nice prep on the green blank. I think this is one time I wouldn't use green wraps and quite frankly would look at golds like Andy suggested - this is assuming you are color preserving wraps.
A vintage (dark) gold might work if you don't want to get too bright.

Or perhaps even look at orange-golds or tangerine like these:

Ron

Post 12 May 2020, 14:30 • #1952 
Master Guide
Ron and Andy, thanks for the color suggestions. I agree, more green would be too much on this blank. I do have some antique gold silk from Anglers Workshop that I might test with. The only other gold I have is Pearsalls and I'm not going to use that on this blank. Trying not to spend too much on this blank.

Bruce

Post 12 May 2020, 14:36 • #1953 
Guide
Plugging along slowly bit by bit. Almost there on my Epic 580. Finished wrapping the tip section and installed the grip.

I originally was going to use a Birdseye maple spacer for the reel seat but it matches the grip/blank too closely for my eye. Leaning toward a thuya burl insert that I turned over the weekend. It still needs another coat of finish and I’ll decide then.

Waiting on a package that is traveling slowly via USPS. Once that arrives I’ll install the winding check, complete the wraps around the signature area and install the reel seat.

Post 12 May 2020, 17:42 • #1954 
Guide
VDub, absolutely stunning seat insert. :eek just not sure I would use it on that particular rod with blue wraps unless contrast is your ultimate goal. You definitely need to see it together before you make a decision. I would like to see the original birdseye you had planned. It really comes down to a general preference after all. Personally I would save that thuya burl insert for another special rod with rich wrap colors to complement it, but hey, once assembled it may work with the 580. It will definitely stand out.
What seat hardware was this insert made for? Bright metal, blued/blackened?

Last edited by Eastslope on 13 May 2020, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 May 2020, 19:19 • #1955 
Guide
Thanks for the input I was thinking the exact same thing. The hardware is bright nickel and I haven’t put them together yet. I have a feeling they won’t mesh. I’ll mess around with options tomorrow. I picked up a bundle of curly maple today and may see what comes out of that stash. As usual, down in the weeds, but that’s kind of the point.

Post 13 May 2020, 09:37 • #1956 
Guide
The bright nickel hardware would look good with the thuya burl insert, just not with the natural blank with blue wraps. Blue is a tough color to match due to its cool tone and I would think a lighter color like some type of maple would be the obvious choice. Another insert to consider for some contrast with your blank and wrap scheme is a grey-toned wood like buckeye burl.

Or some similar grey(cool)-toned wood. But hey it's your rod, ;) I'm only providing some suggestions. But now that I see these color combinations I'm getting ideas for my own 'similar' rod! :lol
Ron

Post 13 May 2020, 10:11 • #1957 
Guide
Ron,
The buckeye is a solid suggestion. That just may be the right pairing. I now have a few turning blanks coming my way. I planned on having this rod ready for a trip to the river this weekend, but it will have to wait.
Rob

An Update From My Bench
Post 13 May 2020, 11:43 • #1958 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Everyone.
The right color choices on that "Sparkler" are only what catches your eye,ours are only suggestions.
If your trying to spend less time on the blank than you should defiantly forget about messing around with color preserver.
Save the Color Preservative For Your Next Masterpiece,Besides should you decide on Gold,Gold Without CP makes for a very nice look I actually prefer the Old Gold look and think it would help mute the Sparkle some. :)

V dub those inserts look really sweet,Can't wait to see what you and your inspection team come up with for the finished rod.
Your team did you right last time I think you should consult them.
Somehow I get the feeling whatever they pick will be just the ticket :P

It was brought to my attention yesterday that while we all seem to be enjoying the Bamboo and Graphite projects they appear to becoming more of a focus here lately.
This was an observation made by one of the guys that I have the deepest respect for,in truth he does some amazing work with bamboo himself.
However he seldom if ever showcases his work here.

When this site was first started we had no Moderators,We Self Moderated The Site,If a member thought you were out of line they sent you a message and you took their suggestions as they were intended.
Believe it or not the self moderation still exists,at lease among the members whom have been around long enough to be able to remember.

The suggestion was made that I should consider taking my future Bamboo Projects Over To The Bamboo Forum.
The point was well received and taken. ;)
My Friend wasn't the first to make such comments,recently actually others made comments about my Graphite project sharing,those were more or less kinda ribbing comments but now I see they were not jokes,also got the feeling my friend also had heard rumblings from others as well. :)

I Feel the same way when we get on Boozing,Smoking,Sports Cars,Guns Or Other Stuff That has Absolutely Nothing To Do With Fiberglass Fly Rodding.

Fiberglass Fly Rodders Is A Very Special Place And We Need To Do Everything We Can To Keep It As Such

The 8' 3/1 IM 6 Was Whipped Up yesterday with the exception of the tip top that will be taken care of when I close this post reply and get to work.
These will be the last shots focusing on my Graphite Bench Doings.
The thread work went rather quickly the rod was wrapped with 9 guides not including the tip top in about 2 1/2 hours yesterday.I'm going to finish the thread with water based Polycrilic followed by a few coats of U.V. Stabilized Clear Coat after I script the blank of course.
Won't be sharing the finish process.
Where The Rubber Meet The Road.
A Few Shots Of The 8'6" Cascade Blank in the cabinet.
I'll post a few photos of this rod when its finished then be done.
I've got too many upgrades going on to not show the finished rod now.

As a Side note the reason I'm am Doing both these 9' and 8'6" H.I. Cascades,when we are all able to get together again and embrace our family's,My plan is to give my Daughters 2 sons each one of the Cascades as an all clear party gift.
By the looks of things this 2nd one will be done just in time.
The new stainless steel chrome plated H&H guide set with a Salvaged/Repurposed period correct agate stripping guide clade in nickle silver.
The Thread Is Going To Be Gudebrod Size A Nylon In Kelly Green without color preserver,that will match the original color very very closely.

This weeks #3 rod wound up being another Bamboo project,a 8' 2/1 Herters that showed up at my door for a "LOOK" with a very loud clicking female ferrule.
I'll make short work of the repair I may even just replace the brass ferrule with some nickle silver. ;)

Considering I don't have any Fiberglass projects currently on my bench I'll finish up these projects I have in hand then come back when I have a Fiberglass Rod Project to share.
Still have Lots &Lots of fiberglass rod blanks and 100's of fiberglass rods that need re tinkering.

Have a couple of 7'6" 2/1 5 Weight Black Fisher Blanks that I have been holding for a very long time they should be brought out and put up. ;)

That's about it for now 8)

Please Keep Safe,Don't Jump The Gun,Keep Your Faith,Be Generous And Kind !

Tight Lines And Fiberglass Loops
Andy Man

Post 13 May 2020, 15:04 • #1959 
Administrator
When it comes to rod building, the rod material is often secondary to the techniques. There are few differences between building a glass rod and a graphite rod. Bamboo is more specialized, but still much of the work overlaps with the other rod materials. While we don't want this part of the forum to become all cane, all the time, some bamboo work is inspiring and informative to those working on glass. The same with graphite.

Of course everyone loves a good, glass rod build! With pictures!

Tom

Post 13 May 2020, 18:27 • #1960 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, I will miss seeing your bamboo and graphite projects, it was inspiring work and as Tom said, most of it could be applied to fiberglass if that is what someone was concerned about. Yeah, I prefer fiberglass most of the time, but all materials have their time and place.

Post 13 May 2020, 19:01 • #1961 
Glass Fanatic
Just my 2 cents, but any rod building project that gets shared in here has value to me as I have so much to learn. I mean, yea, someone building a tuna rod with roller guides might not fit, but from where I sit I welcome insight into fly rod building tips regardless of the blank material ....

Post 13 May 2020, 19:34 • #1962 
Master Guide
Andy

Thanks for taking a look at the old Herters !

Keep posting the more pictures the better!

Thank you for sharing all you Knowledge With others Not everybody's willing to give away their little secrets

Thanks For The Kindness
Post 14 May 2020, 10:00 • #1963 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
When my friends made me aware of this topic leaning less toward Glass and more toward Carbon And Bamboo the point was accurate,I had overtime actually been amiss and contradicted my own guidelines from when I started this thread.
Quote:
"What's on your bench" can be anything pertains to fiberglass fly rodding.
A few examples might be?
Art Work,Carvings,Fly Tying Benches,Leader Furling,Sculpture,Wader Repair,Reel Tinkering,Machine Tools,Wading Staffs, Net Making,Camping Gear and of course Rod Tinkering of any kind.
Anything you are currently working on or have worked on as long as it's something you tinkered on that in some way adheres to the Fiberglass Fly Rodders creed quoted below.

"The main topic of discussion here is fiberglass fly rods. We discuss collecting fiberglass rods, the finer attributes of modern glass rods, the finer attributes of classic glass rods, classic fly reels, repairing rods, and of course fishing with glass rods. Especially the fishing, because that is the point after all. On the other hand, we don't discuss politics, religion, sports, news, or pop culture. The tradition here is to keep the discussions on topic and courteous. " Tom Jigester

If Tom say's it's okay to keep sharing Carbon,Boron,& Bamboo,Tom's the Boss he owns the site so If Toms Say's Okay it's Okay.
I'm glad we got this out in the open and got Tom's blessings.

I'm going to concentrate more on the Fiberglass projects on my bench at least in what I Share Here from My Bench as in the past.

Started a New Fiberglass Project yesterday afternoon in fact.
It's a Jenkins 7'6" P.L.G. 5 Weight.
I'll get some Photo's Up.

The O.Y.R.S. 8' 3/1 is well into finish and will be getting a script and first coat of clear today.
The 8'6" 3/2 H.I. Cascade Blank Will Come Out Of The Drying Cabinet Today,I Plan to mount The Cork grip and Get It Turned to shape today as well.
The 8' Herters Bamboo will get the female ferrule reset today and hopefully the ferrule thread work matched with a start on thread finish.
Since I'm Planning on making a mess today with cork dust I'll also glue up and shape the grip on the Jenkins.
I'll get some photo's up for you as the projects progress.

Speaking of progress I can't wait to see how the Montague is progressing please continue to share your project with us as it unfolds,also that Sparkler what color did you settle on ?
What was the Verdict from the Team on the Reel Seat Spacer ? How Are All Those Doings Progressing
On The Eastslope Benches, I'm especially interested in your First Fiberglass Projects Progress ?
We should also be hearing from PP52 pretty soon he's been absent for far too long ??

Thanks for everyone kindness,stay safe !!

Tight Lines And Going Forward Loops :)
Andy M

Post 14 May 2020, 18:39 • #1964 
Master Guide
This thread is most informative. I enjoy seeing custom rods built regardless of the material. Pleased most of the board topics remain focused on fiberglass rods. However, it does not dampen my enthusiasm for fiberglass rods to see this thread continue to showcase what members have on the bench regardless of material.

"Fibrest" Loops
Post 15 May 2020, 09:06 • #1965 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Grouse
We are all good,thanks for your comments I think yours is a common position.
I'm going to be sure to have a fiberglass rod in my rotation as often as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing you sharing your Graphite Rod Project.
I spoke with one of the Moderators yesterday and was assured as long as we keep fiberglass our main topic of interest everything else is welcome in moderation.
So if we have a member sharing his or her step by step Bamboo project I wont post another Bamboo project, I'll wait or possibly share something else more "Fibrest",as long as we keep a good mix we should keep everyone happy.

One of my challenges has been with so much going on my benches over the years managing to keep it all about fiberglass here,on the odd occasion I'd sneak a Bamboo Or Boron project or at least mention one.
However Every Glass Clave I ever attended had rods of other materials in the rod racks or leaning against the BMW's. :lol

Unless we have rods of other materials to compare our fiberglass rods against,how else were we to prove that our Fiberglass can do Everything rods made of Other Materials can but only Better :o

Now that I'm not taking in work anymore I'm not really looking for new fiberglass rod blanks or new projects,I have a good number of classic fiberglass blanks in house,I have more Bamboo Rod projects than you could imagine,when you add my recent wind fall of Diamondback blanks I'm certainly overwhelmed.

Another thing to consider is that we are seeing more and more mention of other materials in other areas of the site,so we are not alone in our digressions here.
The Grumblings are not only directed toward our Whats On Your Bench topic,when you have threads that have absolutely nothing to do with fiberglass fly rodding running.
It's easy to understand how some folks are concerned where we are headed. :eek

Stay Safe,Keep The Faith,Go Fishing,Smell The Flowers,Hug Your Partner,Be Kind,Help A Stranger.

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M

Re: "Fibrest" Loops
Post 15 May 2020, 10:03 • #1966 
Glass Fanatic
The Glass Master wrote:
I'm not really looking for new fiberglass rod blanks or new projects[.]

Last edited by archfly on 19 May 2020, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 May 2020, 12:21 • #1967 
Glass Fanatic
I'm enjoying all the rod building posts, regardless of material. This is easily my favorite thread. I'll certainly use the knowledge I've gained on my next builds.

In fact, once I get a little time on my hands, I hope to add a little from my own bench this winter and spring.

Post 15 May 2020, 17:55 • #1968 
Master Guide
Finished with the W&M All American. I'll wait awhile for the varnish on the rod to cure before I test the rod out on a local river. Thread wrap pictures look yellow but it is Granger Green or Parakeet.

Andy,
I think I will go with gold on the Green Sparkle rod, no color preserver. At least that's my plan for the moment. Bruce

Post 16 May 2020, 00:20 • #1969 
Guide
Bruce, looks clean. So how many coats of MOW is that on the wraps?
Ron

Re: "Fibrest" Loops
Post 16 May 2020, 06:53 • #1970 
Glass Fanatic
archfly wrote:
The Glass Master wrote:
I'm not really looking for new fiberglass rod blanks or new projects[.]

Dear folks, you could lose money if you bet on that statement. :)

LOL!

Post 16 May 2020, 10:16 • #1971 
Master Guide
Eastslope wrote:
Bruce, looks clean. So how many coats of MOW is that on the wraps?
Ron

Hi Ron,
Just 3 coats of MOW on the wraps.
You mentioned on a previous post that you usually use about 4-5 coats of Al's cp. I seem to have problems with bleed through if I only use 4-5 coats so I will apply at least 7 and then wait at least a couple of days or more before I apply spar. I thought is was my 1st coat of "thinned" spar that might be causing issues, I thin the MOW 50/50 with Mineral spirits so I thought that the mineral spirits might be causing issues with the cp. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also, you're a member on the Classic Rod Forum aren't you? If so, so am I. (paramount)

Bruce

Post 16 May 2020, 21:04 • #1972 
Guide
You betcha Bruce, I'm EastslopesTH on that forum. Not sure why you are getting bleed through with 5 coats of Al's. I soak mine well, move to the next wrap then go back and gently dab the excess on the previous wrap. I let the coats of Al's dry well between coats. I use Epifanes spar diluted 50/50 as I can't get MOW in Canada. I think Epifanes is really thick long-oil spar and perhaps it is thicker than MOW. That could explain the difference. I am now experimenting with Minwax Helmsman exterior urethane 'spar' for wraps as it is widely available near me and is much thinner than tung oil/phenolic resin spar like Epifanes. Helmsman dries real fast and harder relative to Epifanes too which makes recoating quicker.
Cheers,
Ron

Post 17 May 2020, 07:17 • #1973 
Glass Fanatic
More work on the "Monty" as Andy called it. You can see my high end rod drying station here.

As I said before, it's going to be a bit of a Frankenstein rod, made from excess parts lying around my desk. And the decidedly non-traditional and cheap old reel seat set up as downlocking and tucked into a fighting butt is not typical boo fair, but I wanted to get the reel weight as far back as possible, and I just prefer fighting butts on heavier rods. I do think a Medalist will look good on this rod! This is a 1494, might throw my 1494 1/2 on it when it's all done to see which one balances it better.

Post 17 May 2020, 07:34 • #1974 
Glass Fanatic
The "Monty" is looking good!

Post 17 May 2020, 10:34 • #1975 
Master Guide
Looks like the Monty re-build is coming along nicely! Those Medalist go well with almost all vintage rods.

Bruce

Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply