It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:08

Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 15 Jul 2020, 10:31 • #2051 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's great to see fingerlings, the sign of a truly healthy Bass Fishery.

You did a super job of getting the best out of that blank ,that little rod looks really great !!
The picture of the fish above the surface is Field Or Stream Center Fold Worthy !! Very Cool !!

Thanks For Your Kindness The "Artful Dodger" Rod Has Been Another Labor Of Fun & Love.
It's cool when Colors That Clash Actually Look Kinda Cool Together.

Our Little Guy Caught his First Fish Yesterday a Fat Big Bluegill, Unfortunately it's preferred I not share the photo's. BUMMER The Fish Was caught With A Bead Head Nymph,A 5XTippet And Plastic Bobber Rigged.

The Little Guy and I had a blast,he didn't want to touch the fish after I showed him the Finn Spikes.
By the time we had finished dinner 3 hour later Ollie finally stopped taking about his fishing & boating adventures with Poppa.
Next Time We Get Out He's Gonna Drive The Boat.

Butt Covered.
Rigged For BIG Mouth Billy Bass.
FINN.

Tight Lines And Just For Fun Loops
Andy Man

Post 15 Jul 2020, 16:19 • #2052 
Master Guide
Nice! You'll also have to show us some of those rod bags you mentioned you were going to sew up in that other thread. I can put together a functional rod bag with the skills I learned sewing bean bags as a kid, but they're not as pretty as some I see others make.
I'm still patiently adding varnish coats to my last rod, and this morning made a few casts with the Buccaneer that I rebuilt at the start of the quarantine.
I counted and I've now repaired or completed 8 rods in the last few months (2 new fiberglass, 1 new graphite, 1 repaired bamboo, 1 repaired graphite, 2 repaired fiberglass, 1 rebuilt fiberglass). A bench productivity record for me for sure. It might be time to shift some of those energies towards tying flies.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 18:49 • #2053 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
No I Don't Have To Do Any Such Thing.
You can see the bags when the rods are offered for sale. ;)

Impressive project schedule WELL DONE !!!
I'm moving on to other projects as well .

Tight Lines And Thanks Again For Your Kindness Loops
Andy Man

Post 15 Jul 2020, 19:36 • #2054 
Master Guide
Nice Andy, Coldpass always enjoy yours and everybody's posts!

Been slowly working on the Green sparkle rod in between local fishing and camping trips. Gotta get out of the house once and awhile! Also working on 9' HI Adirondack that I picked up for nothing many moons ago with a bunch of other bamboo parts and pieces.

Heres the green rod slowly getting done. Still have to put mores coats of spar on the quide wraps and re-attach the old reelseat. Bruce

Post 17 Jul 2020, 09:13 • #2055 
Master Guide
That's some nice handle work there. Good stuff Paramount. The rod you picked up 'many moons ago' seems like a perfect thing to also be working on now. :) Thanks for sharing the pictures.
And I see I can't demand Andy do anything. ;)
I have only one rod left that's broken. It's a 2-strip bamboo quad that I made years back, but it broke at one of the ferrules. That's the problem with using tiki torches for the basis of a rod blank, I suppose. But I may take that on as my next project.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 13:23 • #2056 
Master Guide
Thanks Coldpass. Will have to post some pics of the HI rod. It is bamboo not glass, so I'm not sure if its still ok to post that.

Bruce

Post 17 Jul 2020, 13:55 • #2057 
Master Guide

The bamboo Montague Mt Tom I fixed up a couple months back. I’d rebuilt it a few years earlier with new guides and finish but left the handle and seat. But the boo delaminated under the handle and needed to be reset and have new cork added. But first I had to heat it to take out a set because I glued it without ensuring everything was straight. So it’s a low end bamboo rod I’ve invested quite a few hours in, but I enjoy fishing it and I’ve enjoyed the process. I kept the walnut spacer from the original but did upgrade the cap and ring to nickel silver (which cost more than the rod).

Post 18 Jul 2020, 15:08 • #2058 
Master Guide
Nice work, I like that reel too! Bruce

Post 04 Aug 2020, 18:26 • #2059 
Glass Fanatic
ColdPass wrote:
So it’s a low end bamboo rod I’ve invested quite a few hours in, but I enjoy fishing it and I’ve enjoyed the process.

that's all of my cane rods ;-)
really makes no sense economically to recover these rods to a decent fishing condition, but it's fun, and they are neat to fish..

I've always wanted a rod by Sharpes of Aberdeen, overpaid for this one which is a real fixer-upper. Three tips, one badly broken and short, one with a fracture in the middle which I think I can fix, the last with a clicking ferrule.
The short tip has a half-blind pin in the ferrule which is clearly visible, the others don't have any visible pin but I fear trying to get it off now.. so that's going to be a quest.

The rod is 7' 10 3/4" which is a weirdly specific length..

To give its full name, it is Made by Farlows in Aberdeen Scotland for Norm Thompson.
Norm Thompson was a sort of West Coast Abercrombie & Fitch, sporting goods store in Portland Oregon.
So a three-country collaboration..

Post 05 Aug 2020, 13:19 • #2060 
Master Guide
Looks like and interesting project! Sometimes those pins can be very difficult to see without magnification. I've used gorilla glue on fractures only if the fracture wasnt severe. Obviously if its a bad fracture, it probably wont hold up when casting or fishing.

Bruce

Post 16 Aug 2020, 15:11 • #2061 
Glass Fanatic
My next build is a 9 weight graphite (shhh) and I've always been intrigued by some of the very cool builds Vlad does. Some of his builds, particularly on his bigger, salt-focused rods are almost steampunk. I decided to do some experimenting on a cheap Chinese blank (7'9" 4 weight) to see how I could do on a reel seat like Vlad does. So far so good I think ....

Post 16 Aug 2020, 20:37 • #2062 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good!

Post 17 Aug 2020, 12:32 • #2063 
Master Guide
I agree, that is looking good!

Finished the Green sparkle rod. Now I will have to fish it and see if this very inexpensive yard sale find casts decently. I wrapped the guides with Goldenrod silk thread, no color preserver, spar varnish on the wraps, new black snakes and a used black stripping guide, made a new grip, and re-used an old reel seat.
Bruce

Post 18 Aug 2020, 12:52 • #2064 
Master Guide
Nice stuff there Jalthoff. It's fun experimenting with new styles.

paramount51, That's fun too! I'm curious how green sparkle casts. It looks like a fun build.

Inexpensive builds are great opportunities to try new things. Thanks for posting them.

Post 18 Aug 2020, 13:07 • #2065 
Glass Fanatic
It's good to be back building again! trying to quick build some rods so I can still use them this season...

spacing out a Steffen 3/4

Post 18 Aug 2020, 14:29 • #2066 
Master Guide
ColdPass,
I plan on taking the green rod with me on an upcoming trip next week to Idaho to fish for Westslope Cutthroat. Will post the results when I get back.

Brockton,
Cant wait to see the finished Steffen. I've been thinking about building another rod, new glass rather than vintage. At the moment a Steffen is at the top of my list.

Bruce

Post 26 Aug 2020, 08:06 • #2067 
Glass Fanatic
Made some progress last night!

Reelseat glued and stent installed on the Steffen.

cut the old handle and wrestled the reel seat off a System 10

Re:Arthritis upgrade
Post 31 Aug 2020, 13:20 • #2068 
Guide
Earlier this year I replaced the grip and reel seat on my 4 wt. Fenglass. I had previously replaced the the reel seat and left the grip which had gotten too unpleasent to use due to hand issues with arthritis. The new parts are all from Proof and worked out great. Rod is now much more comfortable in my hand. Who knew these rods were white inside ???

Post 01 Sep 2020, 12:07 • #2069 
Guide
nice work on the Fenglass

Post 10 Oct 2020, 12:55 • #2070 
Glass Fanatic
Been a while since anyone bumped this thread up, so I figure it’s my turn. Not glass (thankfully - can’t imagine this rod in glass!) but cool nonetheless. Easily the biggest rod I’ve ever built: 16ft 10/11 Bob Meiser MKS. I actually had to build a bigger cork clamp!

Post 10 Oct 2020, 13:24 • #2071 
Master Guide
Wow, that grip looks great!

Post 10 Oct 2020, 14:22 • #2072 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Matt. I really love doing them. (Of course they’re straight up Meiser knock-offs!). I’ve actually been considering turning some up off the blank and offering them for sale on eBay or something. I could turn cork all day I think.

Post 11 Oct 2020, 12:27 • #2073 
Master Guide
16'!! wow cant imagine fishing that! That grip looks great!

Bruce

Post 11 Oct 2020, 12:39 • #2074 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah - honestly neither can I. I’m building it out for a friend who lives on the Grand River father south in ON, where the river is over 500ft wide.

Post 12 Oct 2020, 20:09 • #2075 
Guide
Miscellaneous pics from the last month of rod building. Totally addicted, thanks to all of you!

Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next New Topic Add Reply