It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:10

Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 30 Nov 2019, 12:35 • #1651 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

I love the classic Fisher colors (chestnut and red trim). You can't do better then that.

And those out of focus pictures of the wraps (gotta hate autofocus) show off some great blanks and reelseats. It makes me wonder what they all are.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:11 • #1652 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet looking Fisher you got going on Andy. Jay? You need another rod!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:12 • #1653 
Master Guide
Can never have enough Fishers

Post 30 Nov 2019, 18:32 • #1654 
Glass Fanatic
Be sure to bring to the spring hendrickson fling on the river that shall go unnamed. Is Mark reserving cabins?

Post 01 Dec 2019, 11:27 • #1655 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm not sure I would pass the acceptance quiz to your secret society today.
Even though I was one the founding Members.
Remeber rule one was don't talk about the groups gatherings outside the group.
Rule 2. always refer to rule 1.
Rule 3. don't discuss group business outside the group for fear of expulsion from the group.
Rule 4. something about the Mascot ???or was it the Scapegoat.

Getting Back To The Project Before I Loose Interest :eek
The Fishier is in the boring CP stages I decided to add another coat of CP to the guides paying close attention with a tooth pick to get the dope under the guide feet. No Pictures.

Carl Those are all projects I was working on before I had the stroke,the months leading up to the stroke I had been putting in very long hours to get all the unfinished projects in my shop completed, I was working on the last 2 of those unfinished rods doing the finish work on them when I had the stroke.
I was literally at the bench working when It hit me.

As I was getting close to running out of the unfinished projects I started working on getting the last of MY Old Yankee Graphite blanks put up.
I highly dislike up lock reel seats and insetting grips to accept them,however I had some really nice ones on hand so I started putting up the last dozen of my blanks.
There is also an 8'6" 2/1 Fisher Glass and a 9' 2/1 Fenwick both with fighting butts that I also gotten ready during that cork smiting exercise.
You see when I did cork work I usually got 12 rods ready for wraps at a sitting ;)

My Grandson has been working on some rods ,we spent the summer together and he's very interested in what makes a rod tick,he's got a real knack for wrapping.

Tight Lines And It's Been So Long I Forgot :\ The Secret Handshake Loops.
Andy M

Post 01 Dec 2019, 13:27 • #1656 
Glass Fanatic
It's great to see you back at the bench - even if it is for swansong for a friend. And yes, no doubt you're the force behind the spring fling. Maybe you will make it there in 2020.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 10:26 • #1657 
Guide
Good to see you back on the board Andy.

A little ammunition for you guys who's wives give them a hard time for collecting rods... apparently I collect lathes now. I can be that guy that you point to and say 'at least I'm not like him!' when you bring another rod home. Picked up a new-to-me one with a bench (so it fits in this thread) this past weekend, it should overcome a few things that were giving me issues on my other lathe. Going to spend some time this winter rebuilding it, first thing on the to-do list is refinish the 2 1/4" old-growth maple top on the bench.

And to keep it on topic, a couple inserts that I have worked up recently

Post 02 Dec 2019, 16:07 • #1658 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Nice work on those seats !
Great to be getting back on topic as well.
Your lathes are more than welcome to the thread and fit the topic,stuff like your lathes being welcome was my point of the topic from it's start.

I'm always glad to see someone else's work with a lathe.
YES Lathes are addictive,over the years I've had many myself,I'm technically down to 4 now.One For Metal Work,One For Turning Wood,One For Cork Work,And Last But Not Least One Shop Made Machine To Dress Blanks With.

Thanks for the welcome back everyone !,Truth Be Known I Never Went Anywhere,Because I wasn't working or active I became a lurker,To set things straight, again I'm just getting a rod put up for a friend,what used to be second nature has turned into quite a challenge for me.

Felt as though I finally had something I could contribute I'd post our little Fisher project,I'm not ready to die yet still fighting,no swan songs for me ,sing one for yourself maybe. :eek

We Are Considering This Challenge Therapy,My Friend has been very patient,Our project has been in the works for a long time,months in fact,to be honest your not getting the progress in real time or you would have all fallen asleep waiting for the next segment.
Our goal was to get the rod finished before the holidays,the holidays are upon us so things are getting closer.

The thread work is actually all finished now.
To Date the rod received a total of 98 individual wraps,28 @ In Gudebrod Size A Med Brown Nylon.
With another 70 Wraps Of Silk Embellishment In Combinations Of Red and Gold.
Don't have to wonder if this rod has enough thread on it that's for dang sure 8o

Lost count of how many coats of CP were put on the wraps,coated the wraps as they were finished,a batch at a time,this method prevents the little bands of silk from coming loose while your handling the rod during the next session.
One way of knowing when the thread work has enough color preserver applied is by watching the thread color.
If you put on another coat and the thread darkens you need another coat,if the thread stays color true you have applied enough.
If the wrap blotches a darker color you need another coat.
When you think everything is good add another coat for insurance.
When your sure your good with color preserver let it sit for 48 hours to really cure before you start applying your final coats of finish.

That Concludes Today's Tips From The Old Yankee Bench :)

Sorry But No I'm Not Back At The Bench, No I'm Not Taking In Any Rod Work.

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 02 Dec 2019, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 20:30 • #1659 
Inactive
You guys have been killing it! I need to get a couple of the bench.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Post 04 Dec 2019, 15:27 • #1660 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Again
The 9' Fisher Rod is coming along a little more each day,The rod is in the final finish stages,I'll take a chance and show you some shots of what my thread work has digressed to..

It came to mind that many of you have become interested in turning wood for reel seat inserts.
When I came upon all that Stuff From Mr Cummings shop I inherited a large lot of Vince's wood turning blanks,also a good number of the reel seats Vince modified to fit his inserts.Or Was It The Other Way Around ??
Leastwise
I'm never going to be able to turn them now ,I'll work at Dividing them into reasonable sized packages and listed in the for sale forum A.S.A.P. it's really prime material that's just going to waste now.

Tight Lines And The Glass Masters Loops
Andy Man

Post 04 Dec 2019, 18:35 • #1661 
Guide
I wish my thread work would “digress” to that level! Sharp looking build!! You are still the Glass Master.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 07:32 • #1662 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good!

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:54 • #1663 
Glass Fanatic
Those wrappings look just fine to me -- well done!

Post 05 Dec 2019, 16:14 • #1664 
Guide
CroixBoy wrote:
I wish my thread work would “digress” to that level! Sharp looking build!! You are still the Glass Master.

I had the same exact thought!

Glad to see you posting Andy, was thinking of you the other day as I was unpacking the last of my flyrods from moving to a different house, I pulled out the President/Wonderod you sold me to put into my display rack of my favored rods. It really is a sharp looking flyrod!

Post 06 Dec 2019, 11:22 • #1665 
Master Guide
Good to see the Fisher blank and the work you've been doing Andy, love the grip on this build.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 15:11 • #1666 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thank you for your kindness,the rod is finished and will be shipping early next week.
Have a little clear coat polishing to do here and there but the rod is done.
The rod wouldn't fit in my dip tube so it was air brushed with automotive clear coat with uv additives,hence the need for polishing.

Our thread finish is a little heavy in spots but the rod is going to see Cold Weather Abuse.
This is not the first rod I've made for Jay so I know he fishes the living days lights out of a rod. :eek

I'm glad you like the grip,allot of time over the last several years went into that style grip,I'd call this one The Bristol XL Grip as it was stretched a little from the others made for Jay.

The special grip style was named for Jason a few years back, we call it the "Bristol Grip" The grip was fitted to Jays hand,another equally important part of the grips development included hours of my actually observing Jason fishing another rod I custom crafted for him.
By taking notes of my observations I was able to document his unique or different grasping points and casting styles etc.
For decades it hadn't been uncommon to fine tune a grip fitting stream-side for folks.

Fitting The Grip/Rod To The Fisherman is essential in custom rod making,unfortunately more often than not the proper fitting is overlooked by average rod builders.

People throw around questions like whats the difference between a custom rod maker and a rod builder ?,if you have to ask that question than you never had a rod maker make you a custom made rod to order.

Not intended as an insult just some food for thought among rod tinkers.
Hopefully we could have a discussion,believe it or not at one time they were common place here.
People don't learn much from just telling each other how "Nice" everything looks.

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M

Post 08 Dec 2019, 15:07 • #1667 
Glass Fanatic
CroixBoy wrote:
I wish my thread work would “digress” to that level!

That's Andy's Connecticut humor.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 17:01 • #1668 
Glass Fanatic
One of the best from any era, from a master of glass. Classic finish/wrap style and colors that have their own special character, yet evoke other great Fishers over the years. The new owner is lucky to have it.

Post 11 Dec 2019, 13:09 • #1669 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for everyone's support,honestly,truly appreciate all your kindness.

Procrastinated for months on adding the finishing touches to the Wondermutt.
Should I paint the Map Tube sourced on ebay,originally my son was going to build a case but that never got off the ground,was still hopeful until I wasn't.
How to script the rod,label the sections or are they easy enough to figure out with the color codes added to the wraps ?

kept looking for an Yankee Made spinning reel as my goal was to keep it an All American project ??

When it came time to script the 9' Fisher decided to practice on the Wondermutt,When taking pictures of the Fisher out in the cold decided I'd shoot some pictures of the Wondermutt,put the entire package together for the first time all actually in the same place .

Then it dawned on me that I needed to let this little example of the rod makers art go.
What better time than the holidays,thought just how happy this outfit could make some unsuspecting person.
Then came what do you ask for such a thing ? it's actually worth more to me than I could ever ask for it.
Decided to mull it over.

Then;

We were holiday shopping last Sunday for the grandchildren,we were in a book store that caters to one of our local Ivy League Universities,I'm looking at all this over priced junk,this fellow and get to chatting over a shoe shine kit,he was thinking of for his Grandson at Penn State,The fella opens the tin and inside was a shoe brush the size of a Fingernail Brush,the smallest tin of black shoe polish you ever saw and a swath of a rag.it was so disappointing, the fella whom turned out to be a judge commented that it was actually teetering on criminal.

We parted ways both shaking our heads in disbelief.
However learned what 28 dollars American Buys in 2019.

Anyhow the Wondermutt is now in the for sale forum listed for sale,for what I think is the best VALUE in a pile of Junk ever. :eek

Tight Lines Finishing Up The Loose Ends Loops
Andy M

Post 11 Dec 2019, 17:31 • #1670 
Glass Fanatic
Hello All
Hope I Haven't Worn Out My Welcome Back.
Feel like I'm stepping out on thin ice asking for help, however I'm a little puzzled and unsure how to proceed going forward passing more of my rod making materials on.

Sorry Free is not an option,unfortunately neither is eating. :)

A few post back mention about how there was all these reel seat blanks and Lakeland Hardware Vince Cummings used to make his custom inserted reel seats for his rods.
Fortunately Vince marked the containers that hold some of the blanks,Spaulted Maple,Curly Maple, the Black Walnut was easy to I.D.

Can't remember what you call the wood blanks with the stripes,also some of the
blanks have serious burls ?.
Maybe some of you guys can help me I.D. some of them ??

Not sure I want to get rid of all this material but about 1/2 of it would be a giant step in the right direction.
We'll see how it goes if I run into snags I'll just put the stuff back on the shelf.

If any of you guys have any ideas you would like to share with me privately feel free to send me a personal message. :eek

Spent some time over the last few days pondering what would be a fair asking price for this material.
Also figured to offer packages of 10 blanks each, as they fit nicely in the small flat rate priority mailing box.
I'll list some in the for sale forum later today lets see if anyone has interest.

Tight Lines And Outdated Classic Style Old School Loops
Andy M

Received a couple of messages from friends,THANKS AGAIN FELLAS !!!, the mystery wood with the stripes is "Zebra Wood",One of my friends suggested that it was a shame I didn't have any of the blanks turned down into inserts, so I could show what they looked like turned down.

Well it just so happens that I do have a good number of inserts that either Vince or I turned down,mostly Vince.

The First One Is Actually A Black Walnut Insert, I turned and finished,it is Paired with an Anglers Roost nickle silver plated brass skeleton set.
Zebra Wood
Curly Maple
Spaulted Maple,
Birdseye Maple

Tight Lines And Inserted Loops
Andy M

Post 13 Dec 2019, 12:20 • #1671 
Master Guide
Andy, what is wood just prior to the birdseye maple reelseat?

Post 15 Dec 2019, 12:05 • #1672 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
The bin those blanks are in is marked Spaulted Maple by Vince Cummings.

Had a PM from someone else suggesting the wrong names were on the wood.
Gotta go with what Vince marked these when it comes to 3 different types of Maple.

No matter as Have decided I'll hold onto these for now or until l get a reasonable offer.
The price of wood inserts now is very low as the market is absolutely flooded with them.
Lots of Imported Stuff

These "Home Grown" blanks need to go to someone such as myself whom appreciates the origin of them.

Tight Lines And Keep Turning Those Loops
Andy M

Post 15 Dec 2019, 12:17 • #1673 
Glass Fanatic
Andy - the more I look at your photos, the more I really want to know what’s gonna happen “ *When used as directed.”?
;)

Post 16 Dec 2019, 14:03 • #1674 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
LOL :lol
I'm not really positive about the product that came in the yellow box that's being used to store the blanks.
KILLS COLD & FLU VIRUSES * When Used As Directed.
Can tell you that if you adhere to the guidelines shared in my "Fiberglass Rod Care Guide" that accompany the Custom Fishing Rods I've crafted, you'll discover that your most prided possession will stay as sweet as the day it was made. ;)
Always Tight Lines When Used As Directed Loops. :eek
Andy Man

Post 16 Dec 2019, 22:24 • #1675 
Guide
Cut and polishied a black ebonite insert this evening, planning on using it on my winter rebuild project. Using REC hardware.

Also starting working out how to make a rope knurl, with the hope of eventually building my own hardware.

Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply