It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:37

Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 28 Oct 2019, 23:37 • #1626 
Glass Fanatic
I found this spalted maple insert for the Lemke LC1 reel seat, and it totally changed my plans for the Epic 580 I'm working on.

Here it is with everything glued up and ready for wrapping. (This is my first time shaping a grip on my own, too.)

Post 29 Oct 2019, 06:09 • #1627 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful reel seat and I like the grip! What color(s) are you doing for the wraps now?

Post 29 Oct 2019, 07:20 • #1628 
Glass Fanatic
Great handle!

Post 29 Oct 2019, 08:39 • #1629 
Guide
Looking great guys. It’s bittersweet to see this thread getting action again. Typically means that summer and the peak fishing season is behind us.

Penzzz and Preast, great work on those inserts. Just curious if you wouldn’t mind sharing what you use to finish the inserts. I have been messing around turning wood this summer for non fly rod related projects but have turned a couple inserts recently. I’m going back and forth about what I want to use to finish them.

Rob

Post 01 Nov 2019, 16:04 • #1630 
Guide
Spent some time this afternoon making an insert for a slide band seat out of ebonite. If you've been following the 'Fly Rods I Don't Like and Why' thread there is a lot of dissatisfaction with slide band seats coming loose while being used. I think that ebonite may be an ideal material to help with this. It's actually a hard rubber, which means that it will have a little give to it, unlike hard plastics, stabilized wood, or metals. However, it will hold up much better over time compared to a cork insert, which can become permanently dented and distorted over time.

Took me a bit over an hour to cut on the lathe then another hour to polish by hand. This one is pure black, but I also picked up some swirled rods to try and see how they would look.

By my initial assessment it holds good a solid, but I'll need to put it through some more tests to see how well it holds up over a day of use.

Post 01 Nov 2019, 17:55 • #1631 
Glass Fanatic
cool idea Tom. That one looks great.

I just finished an Epic 6pc graphite spey rod - first rod for myself in a while! Really nice blank and cool to have a full Spey rod that packs into a tube the same size as a 9ft 4pc.

Next up are a couple quick replacement handle for a few local guys, then a cue of glass rebuilds that includes FF756 and 858 Fenwicks, a System 10, and something else I can’t think of at the moment....

Post 01 Nov 2019, 20:57 • #1632 
Guide
Thanks Brockton. I was going to say that you should be fishing the long rods, not making them but with the weather over the last couple days I imagine everything across the province is blown.

Nice work on the grips on that build

Post 01 Nov 2019, 21:05 • #1633 
Glass Fanatic
That insert looks great -- well done!

Post 01 Nov 2019, 21:42 • #1634 
Glass Fanatic
Tom S wrote:
Thanks Brockton. I was going to say that you should be fishing the long rods, not making them but with the weather over the last couple days I imagine everything across the province is blown.

Nice work on the grips on that build

Hoping to get out to the Grand to swing on Monday but we’ll see how the flows go

Post 06 Nov 2019, 12:32 • #1635 
Guide
Lots of cool stuff here guys. That ebonite is interesting.

Rob, I just use plain old TruOil, at least 5 coats usually. A better look at some...

Post 06 Nov 2019, 17:49 • #1636 
Guide
Those look great. Thanks for letting me know your finishing technique. I hope to get back in the shop once work slows down and deer season is over.

Rob

Post 07 Nov 2019, 09:55 • #1637 
Guide
I'm stuck in rut when it comes to burls and reel seats, absolutely love the one on the right!

Post 13 Nov 2019, 15:00 • #1638 
Glass Fanatic
Just read thru the last few post, amazing work guys. I started more of these 8pc pack rods this morning. Shaping some cork.

Post 13 Nov 2019, 16:43 • #1639 
Glass Fanatic
Lookin' good!

Post 15 Nov 2019, 12:50 • #1640 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Tomah. A little more progress on these.

Post 26 Nov 2019, 15:13 • #1641 
brockton wrote:
cool idea Tom. That one looks great.

I just finished an Epic 6pc graphite spey rod - first rod for myself in a while! Really nice blank and cool to have a full Spey rod that packs into a tube the same size as a 9ft 4pc.

Next up are a couple quick replacement handle for a few local guys, then a cue of glass rebuilds that includes FF756 and 858 Fenwicks, a System 10, and something else I can’t think of at the moment....

Man That's a beauty! I'm not even a spey guy, but I'd have to find a place to use that! I'd like to see those Fenwick rebuilds when you're done!

Post 27 Nov 2019, 14:21 • #1642 
Glass Fanatic
Hello All & Happy Holidays.
Have Been Making A Classic Fisher Fiberglass Fly Rod For One Of My Friends.
It's been a very long time since I have done any rod work due to my health issues,my friend asked if I would make this rod for him because I had made other Fisher based rods for him, he couldn't bring himself to ask anyone else put the blank up for him.
I'm certain there are a bunch of people whom could have done or can do a better job than I,It's more about our friendship and the kinship we have developed over the years I think than anything else.
Some Of The Best People I Have Known In Recent Years I Met Here !!!

Our Project has been a labor of love of course it's always been about the love of rod making that has inspired me.
Things are going very very slow,with lots of do overs to get things that at one time came as second nature right on the second or third try if I'm lucky.
No More Wrapping 5 Rods A Day For Me |I

I'll post some pictures of the work now & be sure to add more snaps as the project unfolds.
Today I should finally get the Brn base wraps finished with all the REC Recoil Guides All Mounted Like Spring Time Ducklings Perfectly In A Row. :)

Tight Lines And A Fisher For A Friend Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Nov 2019, 14:25 • #1643 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking build!

Post 27 Nov 2019, 17:11 • #1644 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good! Glad to see you back at it.

Post 28 Nov 2019, 11:47 • #1645 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking thread colors.

Post 28 Nov 2019, 15:07 • #1646 
Master Guide
Hay that Fisher looks familiar.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 08:57 • #1647 
Guide
Since posting (#1619) in August I’ve been able to build out the middle and tip sections, and turn the grip for this ********* 864-3. But completing the project was stalled due to unavailability of the reel seat skeleton I wanted. No fault of the manufacturer, bad timing on my part as the parts needed to be sent out in a batch for dark nickel plating.

Yesterday the skeleton arrived so I was able to make some progress. With the reel seat in hand I measured and cut the base of the butt section and installed a stint. This allowed me to reduce the base of the butt section from .430 to .368, thereby eliminating the need to ream out my wood insert.

With most components now in hand I can get the bottom end bonded onto the blank. My agate guide maker is unavailable right now so there will be a slight delay before I can wrap the butt section. Not a problem, it’s unlikely this rod will see action before Spring.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 09:35 • #1648 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful work!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 10:48 • #1649 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
All the reel seat work in the previous posts is just stunning !
Nice !
Makes me feel Like my simple rod project contribution is pale in comparison.

Promised more posts of the process of our project as it is progressing,Managed to get a few of my poor quality pictures up.

Thus far all the guides have been placed,static deflection was used to determine placement,guide size leans towards the large end of the spectrum,the smallest guide is a Recoil #2,The rod is going to be an ice fishing rod of sorts as the fellow fishes through the winter in a place known for temperatures that get to 20 below zero.I Know because I Lived there for many years myself.
So Guide Icing Was A Consideration In Our Guide Choices.

One of the fellows favorite fishing spots is my old fishing spot that I turned him onto. ;)

The red silk tipping has also been finished ,so far 52 individual wraps.
We have another color yet, gold silk for another 20 or so accent wraps,we also have some intermediate wraps on the butt section to get done,these will be used for our incremental markings /scale to measure the fish caught.

Color preserver was applied to all the thread work yesterday 2 coats one mid day and a second coat around 11PM.Everything looks good this morning.
This will help hold the delicate silk wraps in place while I add more silk embellishments.

When the gold accents are finished the thread work will all get another 2 or 3 coats of CP before I start building the final finish.

Tight Lines And What's On Your Bench Loops
Andy M

Post 30 Nov 2019, 10:51 • #1650 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you are the bench, Andy. My fingertips are on fire and my wrists are numb just reading about all that detail work.

Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply