It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:06

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 26 Jul 2013, 13:23 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
my theory is that Berkley used the same blank and just put lipstick on the pig to change the features; you may have a parametric under that gook-p-

Post 27 Jul 2013, 19:34 • #102 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I did the strip thing on the Talisman and I gotta say it's looking pretty good. Love the color of the blank. It reminds me of a carrot just pulled from the garden. An earthy orange. The stripping process took not more than a couple hours with half the time spent waiting for the Citristrip to work its magic.

So far so good. Just a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help with.

First, I cannot get the tip top guide off the rod. Tried submerging it in boiling water, but I may have been too impatient, concerned that leaving the tip in boiling water too long would damage the blank ... ?

Second, the oversleeve at the female ferrule is now sporting a "beard" -- see picture. I'm guessing that this is frayed fiberglass cloth that was laid up to form the oversleeve? I want to avoid fibers poking through the thread finish on the oversleeve. Do I need to "shave" it off; singe it off with a flame; do nothing and just wrap over it?

The two sections side by side -- butt section stripped; tip section before stripping shows the color of the painted blank.

The "bearded" oversleeve.

Post 31 Jul 2013, 19:26 • #103 
Glass Fanatic
Beard off!

I thought about removing the oversleeve entirely, but then decided to keep it. It makes the rod a little unique, and I like the look of it. So, I used a razor blade and cleaned all the fuzzy fibers from the oversleeve. After a nice close shave, and an aftershave of DNA, it's smooth as a baby's butt. This weekend I hope to tape on some guides and do a static test. One thing I know is that having shed size D nylon thread, plastic underwraps, and two layers of paint, this is a very different blank. This is going to be fun.

Post 31 Jul 2013, 19:38 • #104 
Glass Fanatic
I got one rod off the bench (the graphite 9' 3wt), but my tadpoles are languishing on the ping pong table.

Hopefully I will find some time to get some guides taped on soon.

On a side note, my stock of guides is dwindling and I'm gonna have to restock. What snake guides are people using when they don't want to spend $2 on Snake Brand guides?

Carl

Post 31 Jul 2013, 19:57 • #105 
Glass Fanatic
I like pac bay.

Post 01 Aug 2013, 09:11 • #106 
Guide
The Pac Bay, Alps/Forecast, or AMTAK wire snake guides are all good quality but imported, however at half the cost. Mike's guides (Snake Brand) are built in his shop in the US and I like to support him on all the rods I build.

'Cator
(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 01 Aug 2013, 09:36 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
If your going to skimp the guides are not the place to do it.
If your going to spend rec recoil is the best choice in my opinion.
Tight lines a don't skimp on the guides loops.
Andy M

Post 02 Aug 2013, 20:31 • #108 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

I am just looking for guides to go on my tadpoles and cheap blem blanks. It's hard to justify spending as much on guides as I spent on the blank.

I haven't used REC or Snake Brand guides. I will probably order some for a few of my upcoming rods.

For my graphite rods' I've been using PacBay Minima4's

or fuji alconite's

Time to get onto my glass builds.

Carl

Post 06 Aug 2013, 02:41 • #109 
Guide
This one just got off the bench ...

Post 06 Aug 2013, 07:14 • #110 
Glass Fanatic
very nice!-p-

Post 06 Aug 2013, 07:26 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
I like. What blank is it?

Post 06 Aug 2013, 07:48 • #112 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
archfly wrote:
Carl, is that a carbon grip on that 2pc. tadpole? 8o

Oh, ok I just reread that it is an eva grip. Ever since I have seen one of those new carbon grips, I have them on the brain.

Sorry,

I would like to try a carbon grip, but I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do one for me. I priced it out before and it was between $30 and $50 for a carbon fiber grip.

This one is old school EVA. I bought the grip and turned it down on the drill press before putting it on the rod. By the time you start shaping the eva, you might as well go with cork. I find EVA harder to shape.

Carl

I make them Carl, if you want one made let me know what you want and I will make one for you to try.
I had one at Coburn, Matt cast it but I think he was it it was a 10' 3wt cts. I like them on rods I nymph with.

Bob

Post 06 Aug 2013, 08:38 • #113 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
That is nice!
I was wondering the same thing who's blank?
Just finished restoring this rod it's an Orvis 7'6" 2/1 5 weight impregnated special 1960 vintage ser # 276xx. A gift form my good friend "battenkill russ"
Tight lines and not always fiberglass loops
Andy M
ImageImageImageImage

Post 06 Aug 2013, 22:32 • #114 
Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
I like. What blank is it?

It's a glass blank which I got from the far East. :D

Post 09 Aug 2013, 08:02 • #115 
Glass Fanatic
Here's what is currently on my bench:
Top to Bottom:

Graphite, MHX Fly white 905-4 (Andy, my contribution to white fly rods this year).

Lamiglas NOS Boron BF102, 8.5' 5/6 line (if I ever finish the epoxy I will bring this to the Housy Clave).

Honey Lami 7.5' #4 (I am making this for the Fiberglass Manifesto loan program).

Bamboo, Montague Rapidan 8.5,' 1 tip ("This rod don't owe no one nothin." And note the signature and vestigial trim wraps)

Wes Jordan era South Bend bamboo trade rod with severe varnish meltdown (Just starting it-makes one feel more like a furniture restorer than a rod builder)

Fiberglass Netcraft 8' 5/6 weight (like the one I caught all those fish with on the Deerfield last year).

Some will be up for sale on my website later this year.

Post 09 Aug 2013, 13:29 • #116 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Looks like you got enough work to keep you busy for awhile john.
Like that cross should turn out to be a nice rod the later rods fell short in many ways.
Was reading the history of Orvis about wes jordan how when south bend purchased cross he agreed to stay on, how he had struggles with the south bends creed of more and more rods and less and less quality.
It worked out great for Orvis in the end, interesting stuff. It's a good read.
Purchased some of those net craft blanks on the cheap haven't found the time to play with them yet maybe I'll paint one white :lol
See the boron bug bit you tell us more :eek
Tight lines and big doings loops
Andy M

Post 10 Aug 2013, 13:56 • #117 
Administrator
Unfortunately, there is way too much on my workbench. It is somewhere below the pile of boxes in the photo. We moved into a new house this year. The good news is I have a dedicated room for a shop. While I have made progress with the mess, it still isn't ready for rod building.

Tom

Post 10 Aug 2013, 14:42 • #118 
Master Guide
jgestar

At least you have a place to sit while you ponder what to do with it all.

Post 13 Aug 2013, 03:07 • #119 
Nearly got this one off the bench, Epic 686, my first fibreglass build (I think I'm fully converted with this rod)

Post 13 Aug 2013, 05:03 • #120 
Master Guide
Beautiful work and a great looking blank. I notice a kind of "v" in the softer cork next to the denser burl. Is that intentional or did you have the same difficulty making a smooth transition between the two that I have?

Again, that's a great looking rod. Thanks for the pictures

Post 13 Aug 2013, 06:13 • #121 
Thanks,

The shape is intentional, I've shaped it almost the same as the handle on my old Winston 8wt

Post 13 Aug 2013, 07:07 • #122 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Great looking space Tom I can see the potential of amazing stuff happening there!
Be sure to post pictures of the transition from storage to up and running.
Looks like the walls will need decorating I'll rack my brain to see what I can send along.

Welcome fatso
Interesting combination you got going on there!
I like the reel seat insert can you tell us more about it material who turned the blank etc?
Your work looks too good to be your first rod, I assume this is just your first glass rod, maybe you could post some pictures of your other creations?

I'm sure you guys may have seen the are graphite I have in the for sale pages, these graphite blanks from anglers roost are very good quality and make into some amazing rods for little money, so far I have worked with the 7', 7'6'', 7'9", 8', 11' and I'm working on another 10' 4 pc 2/3 weight for a friend.
I don't talk about them much because they are not fiberglass, some of the blanks are on the slow side and feel like glass especially when you bump up a line weight or two, keep your eye's open for more from johnny.
Below is another bamboo restoration on the bench I'm still researching the rod to learn what thread colors and guides the rod originally had hada hada.

Tight lines and what's on your bench loops
Andy M

Post 13 Aug 2013, 08:58 • #123 
Master Guide
Nice looking grip.

Post 14 Aug 2013, 05:16 • #124 
Glass Fanatic
That grip is like a piece of sculpture!

Andy, gotta love the Chubb (?) reel seat side rails on that Montague trade rod! Even if the rod is beyond recovery, that seat should be polished and displayed on a wall.

Post 14 Aug 2013, 07:01 • #125 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It is a very interesting rod , it seems that chubb or montague get credit for many unknown rods.
For me that's one of the most interesting facets of the bamboo world the challenge of finding the true origin of the rods, when I'm out rummaging for things the obscure is usually my choice.
For a couple of reasons the unknowns are usually within my budget first, secondly often they once identified are diamonds in the rough.
For example this rods getting the chubb title however I've seen leonards with very similar chiseled reel seats as well.

A number of years back I had a 7'6" 3/2 conroy in really poor shape, everyone insisted the rod was a chubb, I passed it on! the fellow that restored it confirmed my original assessment the rod actually was either a payne or leonard.
I'll continue to research this rod hopefully learn more about how the rod was dressed so when it comes time to make the best of it at least the thread work and colors are correct.

I have a beans double l by edwards that I'm working on now at least that one was easy to identify.

Tight lines and just for fun loops
Andy M

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply