It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:34

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 14 Mar 2012, 19:44 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Here are a few shots of a 5'3" Tadpole I built from an SPG601. I extended the blank 3" and stagger-ferruled it so that the tip is 2.25" longer than the butt section because when I was waggling her around that's where she seemed to flex naturally, not at the mid point.

I should have cleaned and polished the blank before I took pictures. Should I wipe with denatured alcohol? What cleaner do you use? I see some guys use Tru-Oil to polish. What do you use?

Post 14 Mar 2012, 19:58 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
John, your 5.5" foot Tad is looking good. I really like how the grip and seat turned out. I really like messing with these -- they are inexpensive and the possibilities are limited only by your imagination. This must be the week for "staggering" as I've seen three stagger-ferruled Tads in the last couple days.

Post 14 Mar 2012, 20:04 • #28 
Master Guide
It's funny, I was going through my blanks today and found a SPG780 and was thinking I should build another Tadpole. And yes, I was thinking of an offset ferule. Hmmm ... must be something in the water. Bluegill maybe?

Mike

Post 14 Mar 2012, 23:29 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wow those look great I"m ashamed to show you guys mine now.
I promise I will get some photos up tomorrow.

I'm going to throw something out there and see what you folks think about this.
Just thinking out loud here so please cut me a little slack.

The last couple of years I have been wanting to purchase one of each of those blanks.
Here's why I'm thinking mixing and matching trimming and extending I bet you could make just about any rod from a 5' 4 wt to a 8'6" 7 wt and lots of others in between.
We have been focused on the shorties but with a little time and effort? who knows
The problem is I just can never get the time to do all the work needed to make it happen.
I don't want to derail this thread but I figured it was time I shared my thoughts.

Tight Lines and Thinking Out Loud Loops
Andy M

Post 15 Mar 2012, 09:22 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
It is truly exciting to see the amount of creativity exhibited here by rod and reel tinkerers.

Criscip, that is a really nice build. You must tell us what line weight(s) it handles; what color thread you used-it harmonizes nicely with the black blank; how many guides did you settle on? For polish, I have used spray lemon pledge, but they say Butcher's paste wax also works well.

Andy, for the longest time I thought that building tadpoles (as Pearow likes to call them) was sort of 2nd class compared to the latest and greatest new fly rod designs. Then I built a 7'1" SPG and I really liked how it cast and performed in fishing, not lawn casting. It would be interesting to see if you could make just about any length and line weight you wanted on these with a few tricks.

Sounds like something to discuss at the Deerfield Clave for those who are going. I will bring my 5'6."

Post 15 Mar 2012, 09:45 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Jerry clower tells the story of Marcellus Ledbetter having the mustard all over his face from eating the mustard packed sardines and he sez to the storekeeper, marcellus has "flung a cravin on me". Well, Andy is smart enough to realize that a thread like this will "fling a cravin on us", so we'll have some new ideas about future projects. pretty shrewd Andy!-p-

Post 15 Mar 2012, 13:55 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Okay I'm busted it wouldn't be the first time this month, I got a warning from a retired officer of the law no less for not being friendly enough :rollin
But that's a story I will save for the campfire ;)
Maybe we could all bring some of these blanks and make maybe an 8' 4 WT or is that setting the bar too high?
I'm game if you are!
Okay back to the little pecker wood I'm sorry "Fly Woodie"
This is a SPG 601 extended from 5' to 5'11" the wood grip and reel seat allowed the 11" extension.
The thread finish is Perma Gloss applied with my finger.
Then I shot the rod with Minwax clear coat two coats
Tight Lines and :rollin Loops
Andy M

Post 15 Mar 2012, 15:05 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Hi all. I've been braiding monofilament leader butts with three strands of eight, ten or twelve pound test. Butts are something like twenty-nine inches and they turn over really well with the remainder of the leader tied on. Since I was not sure what to expect I am pleased with the results. I put perfection loops on both ends and since I whip finish loops on my fly line the butts are easy to attach.
Waiting patiently are two fiberglass(Montague and Reed Tackle) and one bamboo rod, but it will be until warm weather that I get to those. I like to wrap them outdoors for some reason. I think I like the natural light.

Post 15 Mar 2012, 15:51 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Rockthief, if this discussion has wound down--I hope it won't--by the time you do the Montague and Reed, be sure to put those up with photos, work in progress or outcome. I would love to see both along with a description.

Post 15 Mar 2012, 16:17 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
Rockthief, if this discussion has wound down--I hope it won't--by the time you do the Montague and Reed, be sure to put those up with photos, work in progress or outcome. I would love to see both along with a description.

I will remember to do so. Never seen a Montague glass rod before I found this junker a couple years back. Cork was bad, reel seat was bad, guides as well. Now with a good fine sanding and a couple spar var coats it is looking good. The Reed is a blank that had a chipped tip and butt so I had to cut both ends a bit. It's been fun so far. I'll be sure to give more descriptions when I post the completed rods.

Post 15 Mar 2012, 19:08 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
John, I used Fish Hawk size A nylon to wrap my 53 'pole. Coated wraps with 2 coats U-40 Color Lock and 4 coats of thinned, warmed spar varnish. In the back yard I tried 3, 4 and 5 weight lines. It worked best with a 4 or 5. The problem is finding a reel light enough to balance the rod. It's so short and light. The reel in the picture balanced the best. It is an Orvis BK MkIV with a 3 weight line. Even though it did not cast best with this line/reel, I used it for the picture because it looks the nicest. I will try my HI SPortcraft60, and maybe a Martin #62 loaded with a 4 wt line and see.

I am open to suggestions for s super light weight reel that will hold a 4 wt line?

thanks!
Pat

Post 16 Mar 2012, 08:33 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Criscip, that is nice thread. I have to follow through with the polycrylic and I plan to coat it with Threadmaster, since I have the stuff.

I am hoping my build will come out to a 4/5 weight as well. I plan to test cast it after I coat all the guide wraps and before I do a label.

I don't know about a reel yet, I am thinking something small and light - that rules out the pridex! Maybe a Martin tuna can, maybe an older click-pawl. I have to see what I have after I sold-off all my used reels last year.

Post 17 Mar 2012, 10:10 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
John, I just reread this thread and realized I did not tell what color thread I wrapped my 53 Tadpole-- it is Antique Gold with 2 coats color preserver and 4 coats of spar varnish.
-Pat

Post 18 Mar 2012, 08:55 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Criscip that is a great color on a black blank and the finish came out really nice.

I have 2 more coats of polycrylic to lay down and then I can test cast my 5'6"

Andy, that's a nice build, I like that wooden grip. By contrast I was looking to reduce weight wherever I could.

Post 18 Mar 2012, 13:06 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you John. I feel like I'm improving with each build. It's funny, I really enjoy planning and trying out different colors of thread on a blank, yet wrapping is probably my least favorite part of rod building.

Post 23 Mar 2012, 22:24 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sorry guys I dropped the ball I've been busy with the S10 we got some great stuff going on I hope to add more soon I plan to show how I pack rods for shipping.
Tight Lines and On The Bench Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Mar 2012, 11:27 • #42 
could anyone tell me how to ferrule an old conolon spinning blank i'm trying something different. its a five footer and it has a bump in the middle where I can cut it and ferrule it. I bought two of them and i think i ruined the first one so if anyone out there could offer some support I would really appreciate it. thanks rick

Post 25 Mar 2012, 10:48 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Rick
Welcome aboard!
The Ferrule flags or bumps are as I'm sure you know a build up of the blank wall thickness intended to reinforce the blanks ferrule stations.
Assuming you are going to use either a Brass or Aluminum ferrule on these blanks?
Garcia Conolon made many models with a staggered ferrule designs so with that in mind the flags aren't necessarily in the center of the overall blank length.
The flags were also sized I believe with propitiatory Garcia Conolon ferrules as the intended union.
You may run into sizing issues with other manufactures ferrules I can't say for sure?
You may also find the the overall length of the flagged area will not correspond with the length of the ferrule you
have chosen to use.
You may also find it necessary to Dress /Sand the O.D. of the flagged area to get the fit you need.
It may also be necessary to build up portions of the flagged O.D. area with thread to achieve proper ferrule fit.
I'm sorry I couldn't give you more definitive answers to your question but I did the best I could without all the measurements and details.

Another option would be to cut out the flag all together and spigot ferrule the blank?

You can also do the same cut out the flags and ferrule the blanks with metal ferrules but you should epoxy in blank sections that double the wall thickness I.D. or in essence create new flags.
When I use this method I like to use solid fiberglass blank cut offs for the internal reinforcements.

I doubt you ruined the blank you should have no problems salvaging it.

Hope I have been some help?

Tight Lines and Flagged Loops
Andy M

Post 26 Mar 2012, 16:15 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Over the weekend I attached a butt tack to the reel seat of my Spg 5' 6" fly rod build. Image

The butt tack is solid nickel silver, and aside from the blank, represents the most expensive single component of the build-all things considered. Its heft gives the rod a little better balance in the hand when you give it the wiggle test without a reel.

Although it was windy today, I lawn cast it and found that it is a 5/6 weight. So, it is no ultra-lite, but I think it has plenty of power to dredge those big boys out of the roots on a small stream.

My next move will be to prepare the decal and epoxy coat the wraps. Thanks for your patience!

Post 26 Mar 2012, 18:40 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
John,
I like that butt a lot! and those sliding rings are nice looking too. Can't wait to see more.

Post 26 Mar 2012, 19:29 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Well Done!
Tight Lines and Elegant Loops
Andy M

Post 26 Mar 2012, 22:49 • #47 
Thanks Andy for all that info on the conolon blank I think the spigot ferrule idea is best for now. But do I use another piece of hollow fiberglass to insert inside the blank or do i use a solid piece of fiberglass rod to do that? And about how long should the ferrule go inside the blank of the rod? thanks rick

Post 27 Mar 2012, 12:34 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Rick use solid glass for the spigot. An inch or a bit more is fine inside the blank. Many builders reinforce the are by putting a guide there which strengthens the area and be sure to wrap a half in or so at the very end of the blank up to the spigot. Hope that makes sense. You can f ind pics of rods on the site for more clarity. If you were extending the length of the rod under the reel seat that is where you would use a hollow piece.

Post 30 Mar 2012, 23:00 • #49 
Thanks rockthief for the info, that sounds good to me.Now all I have to do is find some time to work on it. I guess i'll get the paying customers out of the way first.

Post 30 Mar 2012, 23:19 • #50 
hello rodders, have a question for some of you die hards has anyone ever heard of a Betts fiberglass spinning rod before? I've found one over at the thrift shop missing some guides and a major chop job on the cork handle but it looks worthy of turning it into a fly rod.Any insight out there? thanks rick

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply