It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 02:44

Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 09 Jun 2020, 16:08 • #2026 
Glass Fanatic
This is probably my last project for a while. We are in the midst of moving, and I just managed to squeak this build in before my wife forced me to pack up the bench. I didn't do all of the normal finishing touches I usually do, so it's got a couple of spots that will need to be addressed down the road. But it's very fishable, and I'll get to those cosmetics later.

It's one of Dusty's new YS Glass rods--a 9' 6-weight. It's very light in hand, and the blank is thin. He's doing something very cool with e-glass.

So, I decided to keep it simple and go with transparent wraps with a bit of blue tipping at the ferrules. I've also marked up the 16" and 20" lengths for measuring fish.

Finally, here's the rod sock I sewed up for it.

I'm excited to get it out as soon as possible.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 17:49 • #2027 
Master Guide
Very Nice Glacier Rambler! Look forward to hearing about how it fishes for you.

Bruce

Last edited by paramount51 on 09 Jun 2020, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 17:53 • #2028 
Master Guide
Andy, and Driftless, thankyou for your comments. Since this is our prime time for camping and fishing it might be awhile before I get the green rod done.

Bruce

Post 09 Jun 2020, 18:02 • #2029 
Glass Fanatic
Hey GR! Beautiful rod and I love that sock. Can't wait to hear your report on how it fishes!

Post 10 Jun 2020, 08:36 • #2030 
Glass Fanatic
Well done, Glacier Rambler! Everything looks good, and I especially admire your script. By the way, I use the same wrapping stand, and think it works very well.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 09:48 • #2031 
Guide
Yes nicely done Glacier Rambler, I also am curious as to how it feels to cast.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 11:47 • #2032 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for your kind comments all. They are very much appreciated. I have said it before, but I'll say it again, the talent on this forum--and this thread in particular--, continues to impress me.

This blank is really unique. It's got a nice, thin profile that felt really fun when testing guide placement. It's probably the new rod I'm most excited to put through its paces. I'll definitely post once I get it out a few times.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 07:39 • #2033 
Master Guide
Andy is a generous man. He sent me some pieces that I could use to fix up a rod that I broke horsing in a grass carp. So my little graphite travel rod is getting a prosthetic ferrule.
In this post I detailed what I used the little rod for and how I broke it.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38734&p=372933#p372933

I took a section of diamondback rod that fit into the female ferrule of the top section perfectly and found a fiberglass donor blank section that looked like it would work as an over-sleeve. So I guess that means that this fits into the Fiberglass theme now. :)

Cutting (after measuring many times)

I spray painted the new sleeve gold.

Some Gudbrod thread from Andy will tone down the gold to match the existing blank

Turning

Ready to fish again

Thanks for the help, Andy!

Post 22 Jun 2020, 19:02 • #2034 
Glass Fanatic
Good job -- and Andy to the rescue!

Post 22 Jun 2020, 21:21 • #2035 
Guide
This is the Ben's amber 3wt I was gonna put that snakewood on. Tried to like this gold accent. Nah.

Then a black accent, but this was too thick.

Double thin black accents did the trick for me.

This chunk of spalted alder kept distracting me. Eventually decided that the snakewood was a better more coordinated and unique look

Glad I went with the snakewood.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 05:20 • #2036 
Guide
I think you nailed the reel seat and thread combination.

Jeff

Post 23 Jun 2020, 06:30 • #2037 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Penzzz, you nailed it!

Post 23 Jun 2020, 07:10 • #2038 
Master Guide
I've been waiting to see that Snakewood insert mounted. Looks superb! Agree with the other comments!

Bruce

Post 23 Jun 2020, 07:19 • #2039 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice. Love the vibe!

Post 23 Jun 2020, 07:50 • #2040 
Guide
Great work, you certainly made the correct aesthetic choices.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 10:25 • #2041 
Guide
Great work preast, as other have said you nailed the aesthetics - is that epoxy on the wraps or spar? I also like the way you mock-up using a short piece of shaped cork to assess aesthetics.
Ron

Post 23 Jun 2020, 11:13 • #2042 
Guide
Thanks guys! Ron it's actually a combination of finishes. Light coat of Tru Oil, then light epoxy, then 4 coats of spar. I messed around with TO a couple years ago because I was getting splotches with spar, and ended up really liking the shimmer and richness it adds on some thread colors. The TO seems to act more like a color preserver/enhancer and zero splotching. Then a light coat of epoxy to fill in around the feet and get back as much translucence as I can. Finally spar because I wanted that look on this rod. I'll probably post some more of it on the rod photos page.

And yeah that little cork bit was one of the first things I did when I started doing this.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 11:44 • #2043 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful work! This is really nice.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 23:21 • #2044 
Guide
Preast, the brilliance from the TO is noticeable and very nice with that particular color of thread. Great choice!
Ron

Post 09 Jul 2020, 14:30 • #2045 
Glass Fanatic
from an estate, Garcia Conolon ultralight with the staggered ferrule, tip is 38" and butt 34".
One guide was missing from the tip, and the light wire of the other two had been mauled sometime beyond my ability to straighten them up.
Salvaged 3 guides from a Berkley Cherrywood graphite with a broken tip from the same estate. These are single foot so not exactly period, but they are quite unobtrusive and look well to me.

The white tipping on the wraps is painted on.. original bent light wire guide shown.
Thought about doing a full rewrap, but was confident I could not do mylar work like that, and decided to keep it.

Stripped the varnish from the thread with a thumbnail, and rewrapped using just the lower wrap. This is possible with older rods using varnish luckily. The Berkley had epoxied finish, had to hack it off in chunks to get those guides off.
These pics are before the varnish. I should have recoated with color preserver, as the thread darkened significantly with the first coat. Hoped the CP would have penetrated the thread, but..
The old wraps came up a treat after a couple coats of varnish.

The handle could use some gap filling, and a butt cap. But my Mitchell 308 fits snugly in those bands, I look forward to fishing it.

Post 09 Jul 2020, 14:55 • #2046 
Master Guide
What fun! Nice project. Thank you for sharing.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 18:05 • #2047 
Master Guide
Currently my bench has a custom painted 6'9" 4wt graphite that Andy very generously included with some rod repair goodies that he sent for my pack rod. (The pack rod that allowed me to catch my first native wild brookie. I've certainly caught brook trout before, but this was my first from their native range)
I've selected a cork handle, and I'm debating a few design choices, but I'm pretty excited about the rod that will result.

Thanks Andy, and I hope I do the build justice.

I just noticed that most of my guides for the build are English pattern twist.

My homage to the Manchester style wrap.

I was trying to mimic some of the styles shown in your last post Andy...

Post 11 Jul 2020, 12:27 • #2048 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Hey Wait Until After The Funeral Man :lol

Thanks for the call out I appreciate your kindness !!!
The rod looks great your going to wind up with a winner there.
Ye British Guides rock small stream light lines. ;)

Cool doings,you folks have been putting up some really nice work,the remakes are still going it's great to see.

I'm just finishing a special rod for my Step Grandson Oliver "The Artful Dodger"
Otherwise been keeping my head down, Got Tired Of Dodging Daggers :eek staying focused on Myself N Family.

The rod is a 6'6" Spinning Rod originally made by H&I,Actually purchased the rod for 20 bucks with free shipping last winter,the rod was in an original aluminum tube,the purchase was for the tube, needed the tube for a recently restored 6'6" Orvis Bamboo Flea.

The spinning rod was in terrible shape really bad bent and missing guides,a real sick pup.
After getting the sections together the blank had a really nice feel for tossing light lures.
The Grip has an aluminum stiffener the length of the cork.

Stripped the blank and did some re-tapering to get more feel,saved the cork and the nickle silver ferrule,decided to wrap the "The Artful Dodger" with all the short spools.
Short spools are spools of thread remnants.

We had allot of fun mixing the threads to make it a one of a kind just like Ollie.

Picked out a new set of Gudebrod Guides from my hoards and went to work.
Grabbed a Shakespeare Reel off the auction site last week I'll get the rod lined up soon as the last coat of Varnish Applied this morning sets.

Tight Lines And Ollie Will Be Fishing Deep Pockets Loops :lol
Andy Man

A Widow Maker.

Post 12 Jul 2020, 12:57 • #2049 
Master Guide
Nice stuff Andy. I had some interest in rod wrapping from my youngest. We re-wrapped the top half of a Wright McGill with a different color of thread for each half of the guide. :)

I was planning to just strip the rod to the blank to address some of the finish issues with it, but now I'm tempted to just add varnish to what we put on there and fish it as is.

It's nice to have little partners take interest in the hobby.

On the brown graphite rod that I’ve been building, after three coats of CP and just one of varnish and I was ready to see how it did in the water.

I was using a size 10 craft foam gurgler. The first catch has some finishing to do, like the rod.

Later I got into some more sizable fish.

Now I’ll need to add a few more costs of finish. Nice to know the rod works.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 06:37 • #2050 
Glass Fanatic
That looks like a fun project Andy! Cold pass, that rod is looking good!

Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply