It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:35

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 31 Mar 2012, 06:12 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Rick
The forum has a search feature that allows you to search for information from previous topics.
The icon for the search feature is located in the upper right hand corner of the page.
You should look there for information on Betts.
Tight Lines and Betts Loops
Andy M

Post 02 Apr 2012, 16:58 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Picked up a new bench top drill press for the rod shop this weekend.
It needs a little TLC here's the project thus far.
Tight Lines and Van Dorn Loops
Andy M

ImageImage

Post 18 Nov 2012, 14:04 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Added another new toy to my shop tools today.
I figured rather than start a new topic I would see if I could help this old topic find new legs?
Tight lines and cork cutting loops
Andy M

Post 18 Nov 2012, 18:34 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
You have the best toys.

Post 22 Jan 2013, 17:10 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's winter for most of us a time to tinker up our stuff.
Allot of you must have a project or 2 going so I figured why not pump some fuel into this old post and see if we can bring it back to life?
Anybody got anything brewing?
I just finished a bunch of poppers for the bass pond fly swap the other day it was a great diversion from rod tinkering, ive been really busy with several projects the juggling has been fun to put it mildly.
I'm curious to see what the rest of the folks have been working on?
Tight lines and bench top loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jan 2013, 17:22 • #56 
Master Guide

Post 22 Jan 2013, 21:27 • #57 
Sport
About to start a build on a Blue Halo blank (Sky Blue 8' 5/6 wt). I have a Black Palm insert in a Klondike reel seat, Universal Snake Guides/tip top and a Custom Fly Grip reverse half wells grip. planning transparent wraps with black and gold accents. I chose the black palm as a reminder of my time in the Jungles of Panama. There was always a black palm around to grab when you lost your balance.

Post 22 Jan 2013, 21:44 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Black palm wow that's a difficult wood to turn no doubt.
Please keep us posted on the process you use the keep it from pulling out or splintering.
I understand they recommend that you seal the wood before your final sanding what do you intend to use to stabilize the wood?
Very interesting!
Tight lines and ambitious loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jan 2013, 22:17 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
Pinewood derby is this week. I end up doing the rough cutting on the scroll saw and loading the car with weight. Maybe next year my son will be up for it. He did get to use the bright orange spray paint.

Once that is done, I might get back to my project of painting blanks. I've got a metalic blue one in the works.
My fiberglass is sitting behind a couple of graphite rods.
Though a Lamiglas S glass blank is calling to me.

Carl

Post 23 Jan 2013, 07:59 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
There is nothing more important than the pine wood derby I'm envious!
Great fun for everyone with memories that last a lifetime!

Wingmen01 I'm sorry I assumed you were turning the insert is that the case or did you purchase the seat with the insert already made? if so I didn't realize anyone offered them please tell us more.

Andrew the one you got my curiosity please elaborate! nice picture!

Tight lines and cherish every moment loops
Andy M

Post 23 Jan 2013, 09:44 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, that Paddock blank looks sweet, doesn't it? You guys have been busy. I have an 8' 5/6wt Steffen on my bench. It needs another couple coats of varnish, then I'll slip the reel seat on it. I'll post pictures when done.

Post 22 Jun 2013, 15:17 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I recently came across a 8' 2/1 5/6 weight Phillipson at a yard sale, the blank is as straight as an arrow with only cosmetic issues, the rod apparently was build as a kit rod or from individual components your classic kitchen table masterpiece, adorned with blue base wraps tipped in orange against the mustard color Phillipson blank looked much better than one might imagine.
The spar varnish thread finish was totally compromised as is usually the case, one guide missing another couple bent, a short 6" grip, nice reel seat that I will retain to keep something of the rods origin, the stripping guide may also remain that is yet to be determined.
Anyhow my goal is to remake the rod into something it's original kitchen table rod tinker wouldn't recognize.
That's all there is when the rods finished maybe I'll post some pictures or maybe it will be in the for sale listings.
Tight lines and Phillipson loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jun 2013, 19:45 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, that is a great find. Please keep us up to date with pictures on your progress. That's kind of a short grip on an 8' rod, no? Any idea how old, or which Phillipson blank you're workng with?

On my bench? I have been staring for months at an 8' Fisher brown blank. In February I fit, glued, and shaped the grip, glued the tip top in place and taped on guides. I'll likely not get back to it until Winter, and am looking forward to finishing it out.

Post 22 Jun 2013, 20:38 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Hello pat
It's a late model Phillipson early 70's the reel seat looks like the ones in the Orvis kits.
This will not be one of my step by step remake posts they are very time consuming that's why I shared it here time currently will not permit more.
When the rods finished I'll post pictures here.
I plan to sell the rod when it's finished.
Summertime is the best time to put up rods especially being able to work outdoors in natural sunlight.
Tight lines and sunshine loops
Andy M

Post 23 Jun 2013, 04:36 • #65 
Master Guide
For me it's a Tadpole, my first, that I started more than a year ago. The guides are wrapped and all I have left is putting on a couple coats of Threadmaster Lite. Currently I'm making a rod turner to accomplish that. Hopefully the first coat will go on maybe tomorrow.

Post 23 Jun 2013, 05:20 • #66 
Master Guide
Once peice 9'6" hardy fibatube heavyweight blank liberated from a retired rod maker, extended to 11'6"

Test casting overhead boomed a 400 grain sink tip about 90' with two flicks. The far bank pike will now be in range, and I can learn to spey cast

Spigot ferruled to 3-peice with triple walled blank scraps

Infusion experiment inspired by the glass master - kinda messy!

Functional hardware (PB channel local seat and minima rings/tiptop plus snakes to #4)

Ferrule rings and full length ferrule wraps, given this started as a one peice (in progress)

Full spey grip of my own devising

Guide wraps and finishing to follow

Mark

Post 23 Jun 2013, 06:25 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very cool doings!
The tadpoles seem to be the standard rod tinkering project, it's wonderful to see they are still popular projects, I see the blanks are on special now basically being offered at the original price under 10 bucks.
They truly are the best bang for the buck the rods are amazing values for the fiberglass fly rod builders.
I hope you will post some pictures.

Thanks for sharing mark I always enjoy your contributions the 11'6" rod sure looks like it could toss a line and land a monster very cool.
The triple wall ferrule looks interesting as well, the foam is messy the key is to have plenty of towels and solvent on hand for quick clean up, best to always take it outdoors, nice ferrule rings they do serve an important function, last but not least your cork smithing is top notch I envy your sharp edges, hopefully you will share how you get them so clean.

This is a fun post it's great to see what people are tinkering with.

A short story
I was given a new variable speed table top jointer last month for the shop, the thing was filthy, dull blades but worked great, so I spent about 6 hours cleaning it up sharpening the blades, cleaning the slides etc. When I finished I played around trying different cut angles the plan was to use it for reel seat inserts. I made a reel seat fixture got it all set for use.
Long story short my son gave it to me and he had been away for a few weeks on a job, I wanted to show my appreciation by having it all polished up and in use when he returned.
When he came home the next morning he's in the shop and says wow that thing looks like new.
So I plug it in and proudly throw the switch nothing I check the plug nothing.
The variable speed crapped out the look on my face must have been priceless :( :o :rolleyes.
He's gone again my goal is to get it working before the 4th when he's home again.

Tight lines and always something loops
Andy M

Post 23 Jun 2013, 09:12 • #68 
Master Guide
Thanks Andy. I had a lot of fun trying to foam fill the blank whilst leaving room for the ferrrules. Took three rounds of filling, and I used whole tin of solvent cleaning up - some pretty nasty acetone spray. The foam leaked around the plugs and set up pretty hard, plenty of exotic language involved getting the plugs out and cleaning the ferrules back to morse fit (despite greasing the ID beforehand). And the Domestic Authority was unimpressed by the chemical haze and prolific blooming of foam extrusion funghi at the bottom of the garden

As to cork, the key is to pick particularly good rings free of pits at target finished diameter in the critical end areas. I use flat, curved back and a 3/8" round files to start then wrap the same in good quality 120-400 grit wet and dry paper to get crisp edges, but not so sharp that they chip. With rubberised cork ends I rough out the whole grip then tape off and detail shape the rubber first, as real cork sands out so much quicker.

Post 23 Jun 2013, 09:53 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for the tips on your cork work do you turn the grips wet? or dry?.
People think it's easy to put structural foam inside a rod blank, many think I'm full of bologna when I tell them my filling process, controlled cure process development and plugging methods took me over 10 years to perfect, I'll bet you are a believer 8o.
It's also very important to have an excellent vocabulary of verbs for when the unexpected happens.
Tight lines and still *#&@! messy loops
Andy M

Post 23 Jun 2013, 09:59 • #70 
Glass Fanatic
panfishrick wrote:
For me it's a Tadpole, my first, that I started more than a year ago. The guides are wrapped and all I have left is putting on a couple coats of Threadmaster Lite. Currently I'm making a rod turner to accomplish that. Hopefully the first coat will go on maybe tomorrow.

If you wait any longer, you're better off just using varnish and hand turning. If you use lots of thin coats of varnish, you can just rotate the rod every few minutes for 10 to 15 minutes. It takes time, but it gets you moving forward.

And epoxy is a PITA. It turns out nice, but there is a learning curve.

Post 23 Jun 2013, 10:05 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
taniwha2 wrote:
As to cork, the key is to pick particularly good rings free of pits at target finished diameter in the critical end areas.

That last part is a bugger. I've been bitten by that before. The cork looks great until you start turining it down and then you get a huge pit right where you don't want it. Your comment makes a lot of sense to me now, for key locations, turn the ring down to the appropriate diameter to make sure it is good.

Carl

Post 23 Jun 2013, 10:33 • #72 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
My problem has nothing to do with cork quality, I never can seem to get the sharpness that your grips have, another question do you use a fast or slow turning speed?
Tight lines and curious loops
Andy M

Post 23 Jun 2013, 21:18 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
I added another one to the bench today. I've been itching to begin remaking an 8' Berkley Talisman standing in a corner of my shop. The reel seat came off a few weeks ago -- while fishing it! The glue had dried out completely and the bond gave out. So today I cut away the cardboard arbor and started to remove the grip.

You can see in the pictures the color of the blank underneath the butt section where the reel seat arbor was removed. It is a medium rusty brown with a visible weave showing in the glass -- tobacco glass?

The grip is made of some kind of mega-dense foam rubber molded to look like cork. It even had lines in it, as if made of cork rings glued together, and pits in the surface! I made a few lengthwise cuts from end to end and started to peel it, but it is slow going, and I had to leave to ump a baseball game this afternoon. I think this one will be fun.

Fisher 8' for 6
Post 24 Jun 2013, 07:24 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
Still stalled right where I was last September when sudden inflammation and severe pain in my left wrist led to emergency surgery. The cause remains unexplained, but the outcome was excellent. Still, I have been catching up on reloading, car maintenance, and home maintenance instead. We have had such unusual high water for the places I favor for trout fishing, that I've been happy just panfishing. So I haven't had the urge yet to get this one done for some trout and landlocked salmon. I will, maybe tomorrow, maybe not until fall depending how the fishing conditions develop.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40547&hilit=Fisher

Post 24 Jun 2013, 14:26 • #75 
Master Guide
Andy, sounds like you have a better cork supplier than I do. Speed is DIY standard hand drill on full tilt, on a very stable mandrel (not sure what rpm). I cut a flat, slightly angled face on the first ring, then cut in gently close behind with a round file to make the sharp edged radius ridge, then the straight edge of 400 grit paper to lightly tune and smooth the radius to a smooth curve

Carlz, I don't turn down first (good idea tho'), I just check both faces on the full size ring to avoid pits in the critical area and hope for the best. Sometimes I'm unlucky = replace the end ring and try again. One of the reasons I like fine grain rubberised grip ends!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply