It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:44

New Topic Add Reply
Weighing a fly line
Post 09 Aug 2007, 18:35 • #1 
Administrator
Why would anyone want to weigh a fly line? To establish the line weight, of course. I've purchased many a used reel spooled with an unknown fly line. Some of these lines are perfectly good - once you know the line weight. And many NEW fly lines are not made to AFTMA standards (more later).

The AFTMA standards were developed in the early 60s to reduce the confusion of matching a fly line with a fly rod. The standards are simple. The first 30 feet of fly line, excluding the level tip section, is weighed. The weight in grains determines the line weight.

I use a cheap little digital scale for weighing fly lines. The scale is set to weigh directly in grains. I set up the scale with a small platform level with the pan of the scale.

I mark off the first 6-12" of fly line with a little tape (if I don't know the tip section length, I assume 6"). From that point, I measure an additional 30 feet of line and mark it with tape. I weigh the tip section of the line (and any attached leader) making sure the remainder of the fly line is supported by the platform. In the photo, there is a bodkin on the scale pan along with the tip section. These digital scales get a little flaky below 10 grains. Add something to the pan, note the weight, then add the tip section and do the math. This gives the weight of the tip section (usually 3-8 grains, this tip was 8 grains).

Next, I coil up the 30 feet of line and the tip section. I weigh this coil. Finally, I subtract the weight of the tip section. The weight is matched to the AFFTA line standard chart. The combined weight of the line in the photo is 193 grains. After subtracting 8 grains for the tip section, I'm left with 185 grains, or a 7 weight line.

Things to note: Each line designation has a range of acceptable weights, i.e., 152-168 grains for a 6 weight line. Any line in that range is a 6 weight. A line outside of that range is not a 6 weight and should not be labeled as such. There are no provisions in the standard for "half" line weights. There are no provisions for determining the appropriate line weight for a fly rod.

I've found lines made before 1995 were made to the AFTMA standards. All double taper lines I've measured were right on the money. But out of a dozen, new, weight forward lines, only TWO lines met the standard. The remainder were heavy enough to almost make the next line designation. One DID make the next line designation!

Editorial: Line makers should either stick to the AFTMA standard or mark the line as something different. Jim Teeny labels his sinking lines with the actual weight of the sinking section in grains. Kudos for Jim! Rio sells non-standard fly lines, most notably the Grand and the Clouser. But Rio is very clear and detailed about their specifications. My measurements show Rio makes lines exactly to their specs. Cortland marks some lines with "half size" designations. Scientific Anglers claims some lines are a "half" size heavy (sorry SA, I measure almost a full line weight hot). Orvis and Cabelas are clueless that their weight forward lines aren't close to AFTMA standards.

What to do? I buy double tapers and Rio lines that meet the AFTMA standards. Does it make a difference? Only in that I wish to know exactly what I am casting. The AFTMA standard was created for a reason and I will try to support it until a better standard is established.

Tom

Weighing a fly line
Post 09 Aug 2007, 19:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Tom is right about the Orvis lines, I'm a big user of their Wonderline Advantage series of specialty lines. The Bass tapers, bonefish, redfish etc. These lines feature a common 6in tip, 8ft 6in front, 24ft 6in Belly and 18inch rear taper. Frankly they should be labeled a half weight higher then their published rating. Likewise their specialty WF?F sinking tip (10ft) seem to weigh heavy. They advertise these lines as specialty purpose lines, heavier shorter shooting heads and longer running line. As such at least they are publishing their specs but it would be nice to see the full head weighed.
I've noticed that Cortland has the same problem with their Rocket Taper floating, Sinking tip lines, they are heavier "shooting heads for turning over large poppers or flys, at least their design works well for smaller dry flys as well.
The SA Floating lines with sinking tip have the same overweight problems.
Having said that, they weigh more than the AFTMA standards for the published weight, they do list the lines as specialty heads, give at least a description of the head. Most Ive fished and Ive fished alot of the specialty tapers, frankly other than light line spring tapers I like the ability to fish a popper, streamer or weighted fly such as the Goldie with the slightly overweight lines. The sinking tip lines make getting to the level in 15 to 30 seconds perfect for twitching that streamer or weighted fly. Likewise those bonefish, bass and refish tapers are great for those bulky poppers in the smaller sizes ( I fish 6wts daily) for bass, crappie, bluegil and often run into lake trout and even catfish, all within a miles walk. As such the ability to fish them all with a quick change in flys or poppers without having to change spools is a plus. On most of my walk-abouts I only carry one spare spool, usually a sinking tip and a shooting head (bass taper).
In winter and spring for river, creek and stream fishing in the morning (windless and cold) I prefer lighter lines. As most glass users will tell you finding a glass 4wt is difficult at best. Perhaps next spring! thus far Ive been using DT5F for my spring glass runs, dry flies in the 18-24 sizes, Short roll casting more or less the rule in close water and cover.
Short rods are a great bonus here, and the glass ones I've been using have ranged from 6ft to 7ft thus far. ( I just received my first short rod, a Conolon Wulff 5 1/2ft so spring will tell the tale.)
I have to agree with Tom about the manufactures not publishing their line weights accurately. They all should at least publish the weight of their heads, at least then, we the buying public can better gage the lines we think might be best for our rods without buying overly heavy or light lines by mistake.
As a rule I rarely overline or underline a rod. When you have several it really doesn't become necessary unless your on a quest. If the Mfg says its a 6wt I generally stick to 5-7wt lines and usually like the slightly heavy half weights overweight. On light line rods I like the heavier DT, a rod that is published as a 5 often thrives with a DT4wt.
Just some observations, I think Tom's method of weighing the heads is outstand and Im gonna start doing that when I find a line such as the bonefish etc I like just to see where it fits on a regular basis.
It would be nice if the mfg would simply publish the weight of the head though. Guess they can't do that being members of the AFTMA though.
Richard

Weighing a fly line
Post 10 Aug 2007, 04:14 • #3 
Master Guide
Tom, thank you for explaining this so clearly.

Weighing a fly line
Post 10 Aug 2007, 04:45 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Tom;

Do I understand this correctly? The actual grain weight to AFTMA standards is first 30 feet of line excluding the front taper?

thanks in advance;

Waynebh

Weighing a fly line
Post 10 Aug 2007, 05:27 • #5 
Administrator
Wayne,

Quote:
Do I understand this correctly? The actual grain weight to AFTMA standards is first 30 feet of line excluding the front taper?
Actually, no. The first 30 feet of line excluding only the short level tip section. Fly lines have 6-12" of thin untapered tip. This section allows some material for attaching the leader. The level section can be cut back when the leader is changed without cutting into the front taper of the line. The 30 feet for the AFTMA standard starts at the beginning of the front taper.

Also, the section of fly line AFTER the 30 feet of the AFTMA standard has no effect on the line designation. But it can have a huge effect on how the line will cast.compare a line such as the Rio Accelerator with a typical weight forward. The two lines will cast very differently with 45 feet of line outside the guides.

Tom

Weighing a fly line
Post 10 Aug 2007, 10:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, Tom hit it on the head again, in the case of the Orvis lines I listed, the actual front taper plus the belly is 33ft after the LL 6inches is taken out of the length, thus we have a head already 10% longer thus heavier than the measured standard, add to that the belly is designed heavier as well and its easy to see why these lines seem to come out over standard. I dare say thats why they seem to cast farther based on the weight of the first 45 feet out as well.
Richard

Weighing a fly line
Post 13 Aug 2007, 04:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I will start this with a disclaimer My comments are not intended to cause any discourse in this important topic.
First I want to state that I agree that the standards should be adhered to by tackle manufactures and they are often put aisde in my opnion to boost sales.

For example we all know that by going up a line weight many times causes a rod to flex deeper and in doing so the rod excerpts more power trough physics.
Deeper flex = more power from the increased depth of the flex curve in most cases.

So from a manufactures point of view lets say for the sake of conversation that you have a rod that loads well with a 5 weight and cast nice to 40' beyond that the flex curve will not allow for much more and the cast starts to fail because the design of the blank will not allow it with the recommended line weight.

If you recommend a line that is a half weight or a full weight above the # 5 standard the rod comes to life.
The manufacturer knows that the 5 weight is a sought after line designation and if you market the rod as a 6 weight sales will drop so what happens next.

Say the Rod is made by the XYZ company and XYZ makes and offers lines as well the sales department before long figures out that by increasing the weight of the XYZ 5 weight line to a half size or full size larger that not only will the XYZ rod cast best with the XYZ line competitors rods will cast better with the XYZ line as well.

So XYZ adopts the practice and strays from the standard, who will know anyway, all that most fly fisherman care about is that it works better and improves their cast they don't weigh their fly lines. All they know is it works!

So XYZ lines are claimed to have a special taper larger body etc etc etc and lines are sampled and people buy them never knowing that all that really happened is an increase in line weight.

This is not true of all line and rod companies and tends to be seen more specialty in lines.

We had a post last year about rod line weight designations and how manufactures sell more rods by designating line weights rather than the old practice of recommending them.

We also had another post that addressed the need for a standard rod line and rod action designation that should be used by all manufactures to reduce the confusion between the terms that manufactures use to describe rod actions.

These posts was picked up by our resident outdoor writer J.C. and he wrote a very nice article for F.F.O.on the topic balance and addresses these very concepts as well as others in reference to balance.

I as you I know build custom rods and I am known as a out of the box rod maker.

If I purchase a blank from XYZ I am not looking to build the standard XYZ rod that you can buy off the shelf.

I have herd only too often "why should I buy a rod from this or that renowned rod builder his rods are built on an XYZ blank."
"I can purchase a standard XYZ blank and build the same rod for $00.00 and save a bundle."
Or "you are only paying for the name etc."
This is a false mind set.

The true Custom Rod Maker is not using the standard XYZ blank he has many options and the knowledge to change the characteristics of the standard XYZ blank and make his custom rod one of his own design.
Also the Maker is many times mixing and matching blank sections to get what he is looking for in his Custom built XYZ based rod.
Or having custom blanks made by XYZ to the Makers designs and Standards!

I have gotten what seems to be a bit off track here but my point is that lets say you build a rod on a XYZ blank that is recommended or specified as a 5 Weight depending on what you use for components and finishing tecniques you can also change the balance of the finished rod and change the line weight needed to have the rod perform with the optimum performance.

I have always been one to see line weight as a recommendation and not cast in stone.

If I cast the standard XYZ rod off the self at my local
outfitter the first thing I ask the sales person is to bring along a another reel or 2 with larger and smaller lines to test the rod with.

In the old days it was common for people to alter fly lines.
Cutting back weight forwards and double tapers to obtain better casting performance as well.
This was mostly seen for use with Bantys and Tournament rods the low and high end of the rod spectrum.

With the Banty the goal was to get the rod to load with little line out and on the other end of the spectrum was to create a shooting line to achieve greater distance.

I have done this myself as I build many rods under 6'6" and Bantys for our tight quartered Eastern Small Streams.
Some company's made specialty lines A & F made a Banty line for their Banty rods and marketed them as specialty Banty lines

Snook and I spent several weeks this spring and lots of trial and error in coming up with a suitable shooting line for his Taylor Bamboo tournament rod and my collection of fiberglass tournament rods.

Lots of cutting and splicing of different lines and mixing line weights in obtaining the best performance for the specific loads needed to get the distance these rods were designed for.
The old school way!

So in closing I will say that I see the straying from the standards for the most part to be driven by sales.

Don't be afraid to experiment with line weights either.
You will never know how your 5 weight really performs with a lower or higher line weight unless you try it.
You maybe surprised that your rod designated for a 5 weight really comes to life with a different line weight.

Tight Lines and Strayed Loops
Andy M

Weighing a fly line
Post 13 Aug 2007, 04:52 • #8 
Emeritus
Thanks to Tom and and everyone for this interesting topic. This is one subject that I have seen cussed and discussed on many forums I visit. I'm not a master caster nor am I scientifically inclined to worry much about line weight except whether it does the job I intend it for. Because of the different types of materials my fishing instruments are made of, over the years I have learned to adjust my casting style to fit the rod and the line with the type of water I fish and the type of fish I am stalking at the time. That means experimenting and having several reels filled with basic line weights that matches my taste for each rod and several types of water. After all, it's cheaper (sometimes not by much) to buy line than continually buy new rods and reels and line. (although we will all do this anyway I guess.) I do tend to underline or overline a rod at times and still manage to catch fish once in awhile. I don't know if this makes sense, but I only use the makers line weight as a recommendation or a place to start, not gospel according to XYZ. Thanks

Weighing a fly line
Post 13 Aug 2007, 06:21 • #9 
Guide
Where do I get one of these XYZ rods, they sound perfect.

Mudd

Weighing a fly line
Post 13 Aug 2007, 07:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I am glad you are amused!
Keep your eyes open you may see the XYZ sooner than you think.

Tight Lines and Hypothetical Loops
Andy M

Weighing a fly line
Post 14 Aug 2007, 14:22 • #11 
Guide
I look forward to any future XYZ product lines.;)

Weighing a fly line
Post 16 Aug 2007, 14:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
While Im quite familiar with splicing large diameter saltwater lines, your comments about cutting and splicing flylines ( I take it your talking about shooting heads to running lines etc) interests me alot, I have quite a pile of lines laying around from a varity of reel purchases, many are unused, but not what I wanted on that specific reel when I aquired it. So my question is what is the very best Splice to use between the shooting head and running line. I know the splice between the flyline and backing is pretty smooth, and I either use a drop of head cement or a piece of shrink tubing on it if I feel the knott is a problem, but Ive aquired several lines that the previous owner has implanted the leader or backing into the actual flyline. I remember a thread here about the use of some form of cement once the flyline was opened with a needle in conjunction with a hidden splice, I was wondering if anyone could add a few comments on how successful you feel such splices are. I know we are not catching bluefin, but on how big of a fish would you trust such a glue splice? And of course which would be the materials you would recommend and proceedure? It would be great to salvage some of those laying around flylines into something I would be excited to use. Also on how big of a fish would you feel comfortable using such a glue splice?
Richard

Weighing a fly line
Post 17 Aug 2007, 02:49 • #13 
Richard,
Here's a link to a Dave Whitlock article on just that:

www.flyfisherman.com/skil ... index.html

Hope this helps,
Pavel

Weighing a fly line
Post 17 Aug 2007, 04:00 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Pavel,
Exactly the right answer almost instantly. I'm gonna just order the whole little kit and give it a try.
If Tom reads this, a thought, how about a section for links like this one to worthwhile bits of very useful information.
Richard

Weighing a fly line
Post 08 Sep 2007, 00:26 • #15 
Emeritus
Thank you Tom, Andy and all- I've learned a lot from this thread already. The benefit from hearing all points of view is just great.

Here's my current box of lines stripped from acquired reels. I've told my wife this box is worth hundreds of dollars, but she's not buying it.. :rolleyes

Tom mentions a "cheap little scale-" I couldn't make out the brand in the photo, any recommendations out there on my purchasing a particular brand?

Weighing a fly line
Post 08 Sep 2007, 03:21 • #16 
Administrator
I got mine off eBay . Run a search on "digital scale". I have this 500 g model. But there really isn't any unit better than the rest. So pick by price and watch the shipping costs and seller feedback.

Look for a scale that weighs in ounces, grams, AND grains. The scale should be able to measure to 0.01 oz, 0.1 g, or 1 grain. Also look for a scale that takes AAA batteries rather than button batteries or a wall wart.

For the heck of it, I checked my scale with a laboratory weight set. It was inside of 0.1% accuracy from 0.5 g to 500 g. That is more than good enough for all but the most stringent scientific work. For very light items less than 0.5 g, use the difference method I mention in my post.

I also use my scale for weighing rods, reels, cooking ingredients, and large letters.

Tom

Weighing a fly line
Post 08 Sep 2007, 15:38 • #17 
Emeritus
Thx much Tom- I'm in for the same scale, that's an amazing price.

Weighing a fly line
Post 08 Sep 2007, 16:19 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I hear ya there I bought one on Ebay too just waiting for it to arrive, its gonna give me some fun flyline projects for this winter, like you I have litterally way to many takeoff lines.

Weighing a fly line
Post 09 Sep 2007, 00:20 • #19 
Emeritus
I'll probably toss the level lines I have, as I wouldn't use them anyway. If anyone wants them let me know via PM & I'll throw them in an envelope.

The whitish line in the upper left of the photo is gazillion-pound dacron backing, stripped from an old Penn reel (a little large for our NC brookies) :rolleyes

Weighing a fly line
Post 09 Sep 2007, 10:39 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to keep and use that old heavy line, I have a couple of reels that for smaller stuff have alot of backing room and for their intended use, close quarters and short casts, that heavy backing is perfect, instead of wasting 100 plus yards of 15# back thats never gonna get used, I can use 25 yards of that old (new) salt water dacron to back the flyline and it lays ever so smoothly on the spool, the backing being nearly the same diameter as the flyline itself.
Another thought to your level line, in an earlier post one of the guys gave me a wonderful link to splicing lines. Think about taking say a DT6 cutting it in half, then splicing s bit of a smaller LL as the running line behind it before the backing. Sort of make a nice shooting head combo out of the works. Yet short enough to fit on a smallish reel for close in work where you dont need or want 90 yards of flyline and 100 yards of backing anyway.

Weighing a fly line
Post 10 Sep 2007, 01:01 • #21 
Emeritus
Damn good ideas, especially the first one which is a no-brainer (reusing that fatty salt backing). Thx ffgt

New Topic Add Reply