It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Mar 2011, 15:34 • #1 
Master Guide
I found this very informative. I know what the steps are but have never actually seen them. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TcouAIZ84

Post 25 Mar 2011, 22:38 • #2 
Master Guide
Definitely informative. Did you notice the narrator said "all that's left is to cast your bait" in the end? While not totally improper, it still seemed to stand out.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 09:59 • #3 
Guide
going back into the archives for this one. I was just sitting around curious about what all is involved in actually rolling a blank. Did some searching on this forum, and this video came up from back in 2011. Interesting process. Cool to see Thomas and Thomas featured too. I just wish they would sell their lotic blanks.

Anyway... just a comment to bring this thread back up to the top and to thank the many people over the years who have helped to turn this forum into a great resource.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 17:16 • #4 
Sport
Unless Thomas & Thomas have recently changed their pollcy towards blanks, yes you can buy blanks from the factory. Cost is 50% of finished rod, so not cheap. Real nice people to deal with.

Post 23 Aug 2022, 16:38 • #5 
Guide
Good to know. Thanks.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 07:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Mike McFarland rolling a fly rod blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeFScSmbf-M

Mike McFarland rolling a fly rod blank

Post 12 Sep 2022, 20:29 • #7 
Master Guide
Many many years ago I was in Vermont and stopped by the Orvis shop late one afternoon. Asked if they did tours. Guy said “ come back first thing in the morning. “
I got a three hour tour. We pulled cane from the impregnator tank. We watch crazy fast rod wrappers and I got to roll a graphite blank. Then they offered me a blank just like the one I rolled at a super deep discount. Best road trip stop ever.

Post 14 Sep 2022, 08:46 • #8 
Guide
Cheffy, that is quite interesting. Could you please tell me as near as possible what year that visit took place? That's because there is currently an interesting thread on the Classic (bamboo) fly rod forum regarding whether new Orvis cane rods are still impregnated and, if not, when the process was changed.

Post 15 Sep 2022, 05:26 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
PampasPete:

While I have no doubt Orvis continues to impregnate bamboo rods, contacting them by email or phone will get you the definitive answer in short order.

New Topic Add Reply