It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:52

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Duncan Briggs
Post 06 May 2009, 04:42 • #1 
Master Guide
Just pick up this Duncan Briggs. It is in really nice condition and will look great on a classic rod. Thought I would share some pics since the design is a little unusual.

Duncan Briggs
Post 06 May 2009, 05:11 • #2 
Piscator
one of the more affordable vintage reels with enough weight and capacity for long blue-collar cane rods.
The drag gear fixed on the spindle with the spring and pawl on the spool is an idea to counter-balance the handle.

Re: Duncan Briggs
Post 27 Apr 2020, 22:13 • #3 
Sport
Picked up one of these last week (ebay). I thought I'd give it a shot on my 5 wt. Orvis Clearwater (China-made graphite 8' 6") and thought I'd paint over the worn black paint on the spool with some green to match the rod -- just because. But after I washed it with soap and water, the finish felt gummy, and the paint was bubbling elsewhere on the spool anyway, so I rubbed it off finishing with a baking soda rub with fingers. Read somewhere it was some sort of vinyl paint but maybe that's not correct. Now the spool reminds me of an anodized aluminum (?). Going to keep it this way, leaving the body as is.

I didn't know anything about it before the purchase, so I was surprised that the spring-pawl assembly is on the spool -- clever. But the pawl was worn down so much on two corners and the ratchet gear must be out of round that it skips about halfway around. It works fine on the remaining point. Keeping with the "blue collar" persona (https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68107&hilit=briggs+2#p365933 and https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1396&p=95365&hilit=briggs+2#p95365), I'm thinking one day if I ever wear out the last point I'll just cut a washer to fit. It doesn't provide much "drag" resistance as I'd like but enough. I gave the spindle oil and the ratchet a little grease.

It came with an orangish colored level floating line, I'm thinking 7 weight. It balanced very well on the Orvis although the line felt heavy. The balance was good and the line worked better on my 8' Ugly Stik FY1100 7/8 wt. It's the new fave setup for it, even though I can't roll cast worth a bean with the line I sort of missed using level line these years.

I think it was a pretty good deal for $11.19.

Post 27 Apr 2020, 22:30 • #4 
Administrator
That cleaned up nicely! Aluminum is 'self anodizing' - meaning your spool should stay shiny as long as you don't abuse it. Aluminum oxidizes immediately after it is machined. Electrochemical anodizing provides a deeper layer of aluminum oxide that holds color and better fends off corrosion.

There was a South Bend version of your reel, the 1120 (photo below). I like your version better.

Tom

Post 28 Apr 2020, 05:39 • #5 
Piscator
also South Bend, Higgins (Sears) and Weber Klatahatch - I think Weber sold more than any of the other marques.

(noteworthy, Weber Lifelike Fly Company began catalog sales in 1922, and imported JW Young reels to the US between the wars)

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 05 May 2020, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 08:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple of the Kalahatch, one painted and one natural, I never use them, just part of a box of stuff I bought. Not much drag on those clickers as I recall playing with them.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 08:26 • #7 
Piscator
Trev, springs creep (relax) over time, and this is especially easy to remove, spread and set-temper (350oF)

For all you photographers, fly reels pretty much all look the same from the outside - it's the inside that interests most on the forum.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 10:57 • #8 
Sport
So, out of curiosity, who made it best? Worst? In regards to quality or function. Or were they all Duncan Briggs but relabeled? Or were they Weber's first?

Post 28 Apr 2020, 11:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
all were Duncan-Briggs I believe.. so no difference but the badge and paintwork..

be wary, when these are used LHW that spool retaining screw may work loose and fall out.. the full spec is,
a slotted button or pan head low shoulder machine screw 10-32 3/8" long

As you can see on my reel, I haven't yet been able to find one of those screws ;-)

Post 28 Apr 2020, 12:02 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Doug, I just went and took my reels apart, the screws are not shouldered, and not pan head. A shoulder would raise the head away from the spool because on my reels at least the spindle is higher that the spool allowing some play with a fully threaded screw. At least one of them is a factory screw, I believe, as it is slotted to dime thickness and plated, the other is very similar hardware replacement SS. Both are truss extra wide head, and fully threaded. As near to original as a hardware is apt to have; https://www.mcmaster.com/91785a827 (this head width matches mine)
An alternative that I might prefer; https://www.mcmaster.com/90015a368 (this has a slightly wider head)
These should be available locally at Ace.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 15:15 • #11 
Piscator
these reels were made for two years in Providence, RI - they had a good two years considering how many are out there

Post 28 Apr 2020, 16:08 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Providence had dozens of metal related industries and probably half the population were machinists or metal workers when I lived in that area in the '70s. I can imagine how it must have been just coming down from wartime production.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 16:41 • #13 
Piscator
If you look at someone like Valentine, they primarily make aircraft components on contract.
The reels are a sideline, but one that's held on for 40 years.
Even Meisselbach didn't return to reels after war production, but they are still in business today.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 17:19 • #14 
Sport
Doug in CO. Can you tell us what model South Bend rod you have in your pic? I have an identical in need of restoration. Same grip, seat and wrap colors. Is it 359? What line weight do you use? Thanks.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 20:24 • #15 
Piscator
answering out of turn, every SB rod is going to have the line marked on it - here's all the rod models at least with the same cork, and a description of reel seat
(1942 catalog)
the reel seat colors will change over the years, because this is a SB 359

Post 01 May 2020, 17:52 • #16 
Sport
@Bulldog and others: Shakespeare and/or Holmes, too? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61069&hilit=sigma#p310216

Post 01 May 2020, 18:39 • #17 
Piscator
Shakespeare was made by Shakespeare in Kalamazoo, MI

Most South Bend reels were made by Shakespeare, though SB also bought the Duncan Briggs

Holmes was made by Holmes in Oronoque, Conn

great reels, but your question doesn't seem to have a question

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 05 May 2020, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 May 2020, 19:17 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I need to get some gut pictures of my Webers, they have differing springs and pawls. Same design but shaped very different. one also has a very thin brass cup washer between the spool and the drag plate.

Post 01 May 2020, 19:37 • #19 
Sport
To clarify, in the link to the other post is a pic (2nd down, w/smallmouth) that looks like these Duncan Briggs/Webers/etc. ARReflections ponders if Shakespeare or Holmes. Just trying to find the family relations. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61069&hilit=sigma#p310216

Post 01 May 2020, 20:28 • #20 
Piscator
that makes sense now - I think the reel he's showing is a Duncan-Briggs, but probably couldn't tell without seeing the back plate or inside.
Holmes made another model reel; i.e., not the perfect clone.
Andy had one of those, but his older photo links are gone now.
Can't tell too much from that single photo.

Post 01 May 2020, 23:33 • #21 
Master Guide
Tups wrote:
Doug in CO. Can you tell us what model South Bend rod you have in your pic? I have an identical in need of restoration. Same grip, seat and wrap colors. Is it 359? What line weight do you use? Thanks.

They came in two models and were marked using the older lettering system. Off the top of my head HEH is a 5wt and HDH is the 6wt. Bamboo being a natural material means the action and line weight can very a bit rod to rod, so try both.

Post 02 May 2020, 06:04 • #22 
Piscator
I never noticed a difference in 8-1/2' SB DF tapers, regardless of the "E or HDH" marking - they all use the same ferrule, all fish a 5-wt, and better dry fly fishing with a 4-wt.
Among the most desirable "blue collar" cane rods you can find.
If you have a 9' SB 359, add a line weight.

Post 04 May 2020, 15:50 • #23 
Glass Fanatic

"Kalahatch Fly Reel" "No 400" "Weber", interestingly the marking on the black reel is at the foot (upside down) and the marking on the silver reel is at the top. They also have differences inside. I'm not sure if the cup washer/shim is original or an add on, it seems a bit tight with it.

The slotted pawl on the silver reel apparently allows the pawl to disengage under very fast out feed and this reel is nearly quiet on reeling but has more drag and more noise than the black reel on out feed to the point of disengagement, it is set LHW and biased that way. the black reel is unbiased in direction. These reels weigh 6.5 ounces.

Post 05 May 2020, 05:31 • #24 
Piscator
Trev, that washer is a field mod.
All thumbscrew JW Young reels use a bronze/brass split spring washer for thrust, which helps prevent conical spool bushing wear.
I bought a bag of matching spring washers from McMaster-Carr, but used them all up on reel repairs for OP.
I would look for one of these to replace the washer that makes your reel too tight.

Post 05 May 2020, 09:08 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Ron, I was pretty sure it was an add on, but it's fine the way it is til someone else wants these reels, I'll never use them and would not even have lined them and messed with them except for this discussion. Being very thin and cupped it kinda acts as a spring. Only the near perfect diameter match, both to the spindle and the ratchet plate, made me think it a possible factory design. If it was greased if might just feel smooth instead of tight. A closer look at the spindle screws makes me think both are OEM.
The complex spring and the slotted and eared pawl is more interesting to me as a design/engineering curiosity.
The reels are back in the parts bucket after the portraits and unless someone asks they may never see daylight again. I'm spoiled by Medalists and have more of them than I can use at one time.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply