It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Mar 2024, 13:39 • #1 
So I've been struggling to find classic reels that fit well on the 3/4 wt fiberglass rods. Hardy Heritage reels, Robichauds, Bellingers, Saraciones, they all seem too heavy for glass, but perfect for cane.

Other than the hardy made Orvis CFOs, can any of you recommend classic reels that work well with the more delicate modern glass rods?

Post 26 Mar 2024, 14:12 • #2 
Master Guide
The Hardy Marquis is a good option if you’re trying to dial in the balance with a classic reel. They come in a ton of sizes and are easy to find.

Another good option is the Ross Colorado. The current Colorado series is really nice, especially for rods under 7’, as the reel is extremely lightweight. The older Colorado series is also excellent and has a more traditional look.

Post 27 Mar 2024, 04:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
rookhawk wrote:
So I've been struggling to find classic reels that fit well on the 3/4 wt fiberglass rods. Hardy Heritage reels, Robichauds, Bellingers, Saraciones, they all seem too heavy for glass, but perfect for cane.

Other than the hardy made Orvis CFOs, can any of you recommend classic reels that work well with the more delicate modern glass rods?

Rookhawk:

You will get many other good suggestions but here's mine. ;)

I own more than a few "new" 3wt & 4wt glass rods from 5’0” to 8’0” in length. Obviously, your preferences may differ but IMHO all of those rods balance wonderfully with reels from Hardy (reissues & older) and a few Abel built and one Hardy CFO in the mix.

What reel I match with what rod is dependent on the rod length and I will admit it is a challenge to achieve the static balance point I prefer (at the winding check) with the shortest rods, but if it helps any, all of the reels have a stated weight between 2.0 oz. and 4.23 oz.

They include the aforementioned CFO’s, all of the Lightweight Series (Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH), Duchess, Marquis, Baby (2-13/16”) Bougle, St. George and St. George Jr.

To put things in perspective with reels you mentioned, while I don’t own any reels from Bellinger or Robichaud, I do have reels from Saracione hanging on some of my bamboo rods. The smallest & lightest of those is 5.10 oz. and considerably heavier than what I prefer on my 3 & 4wt glass rods.

Hope this helps a little!!!

Post 27 Mar 2024, 07:55 • #4 
Piscator
Your list so far seems limited to contemporary classics. You should add the small Peerless to it

These are becoming hens teeth, but in your price range, and not too far off Young's original target price, several Japan collectors on ebay are offering JAF Aerial - in the same range, JAF Sandstone and Avon (search J Austin Forbes)
Image Image

Also worth watching for, Shakespeare Russell '28 to '34 with dual-spring diamond-pawl check
Image Image Image

From the '60s, H-I Sportcraft 60, which was the last Russell variant.
Image Image

Out of production jewels, Redington CT
Image Image

Pflueger Supreme 1834, also sold by Shakespeare and Eagle Claw - gold examples are more common than this rare black.
Image Image

Martin LM45, also sold as Browning Strada MZ34

Post 27 Mar 2024, 13:01 • #5 
Guide
What constitutes “Classic” is pretty subjective. A combination of age, aesthetics, and functionality, I guess.

I’ve been happily using a Hardy Prince on my shorter/lighter glass rods.

Post 27 Mar 2024, 14:43 • #6 
Piscator
I reserve Classic for objects that retain their original value over time.
Empirical, not subjective - the market defines Classic.
Old things that don't meet this test are simply Curiosity.
e.g., there were a lot of $15 reels in 1950 money that won't bring $15 in today's money.

New Topic Add Reply