It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Aug 2023, 14:54 • #1 
Any help appreciated!

I inherited an SA System 1 678 reel that's missing a few parts (pawl, spring, button, more?).

Anyone know if parts can be found or would buying a whole reel to transfer parts be more likely?

Thanks in advance!

Post 14 Aug 2023, 15:54 • #2 
Piscator
I'd say you inherited fly line and a spare spool.
The cam on the inside screws into the dial on the outside (likely a self-tapping screw) - all the parts are missing.
Unlikely to find the parts, but you could find a second reel and have a spare spool.

Post 15 Aug 2023, 06:36 • #3 
Thanks for the reply, that was kind of what I was thinking. I'll have to track down that reel!

Post 15 Aug 2023, 09:23 • #4 
Guide
For parts you may want to look at Diawa 706/708 reels as I believe they are virtually the same as the SA System 1 reels.

Post 15 Aug 2023, 11:05 • #5 
Administrator
cjtarbox wrote:
For parts you may want to look at Diawa 706/708 reels as I believe they are virtually the same as the SA System 1 reels.

Scientific Anglers (SA) sold various System reels for decades. Most were good and some were great.

The Daiwa made reels were marked with the name System One, with the word One spelled out. The original poster's reel is a System 1, made for SA by British Fly Reels (BFR). The BFR made reels were marked with a superscript numeral 1. The BFR reels had a much different click pawl drag than the Daiwa reels, so an old 706 is not a good parts donor. I would not expect the spools to interchange either.

Bulldog had a solid suggestion, keep the spool and find another System 1 reel. Keep in mind that sellers don't understand the different model numbers, so trust the photos more than the description.

Tom

Post 15 Aug 2023, 17:30 • #6 
Guide
Tom,
I must apologize as I had the wrong reel in my mind. I have the same iteration of the SA reel as the OP but just completely spaced it with the Browning reel that is a clone of the Diawa reel. My apologies again to both the OP and you. I do know there are two different versions of the SA System 1 reels, one with the foot molded with the reel frame and the other with a separate foot. Are they both BFR made?

Post 15 Aug 2023, 18:48 • #7 
No worries cjtarbox & thanks for the clarification, Tom! Much appreciated all!

New Topic Add Reply