It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Apr 2023, 16:24 • #1 
Guide
My first fly caught trout occurred when I was perhaps nine years old. Oddly, no fly rod was involved, and my victim succumbed to a hideously bad self tied fly. But the hook was set far more firmly in me than in that little rainbow. I wanted to be a fly fisherman, and in the late 70's, I finally got serious about it.

I had seen a newstand publication by Scientific Anglers, and it led me down the briar path. Soon I was knee deep in fly fishing and tying books, and I enjoyed every moment of the learning process. In those days, the magazines I read often featured full page adverts for the Hardy Perfect fly reel. I thought that must certainly be THE reel, but it was right hand wind only, and my Sci-Anglers book informed me that RHW was the devil's work. I wasn't smart enough to question that idea, so I contented myself with the Sci-Anglers System reel (Hardy Marquis).

ImageIMG_2085 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

Forty some years later, I'm a heck of a lot older if no wiser, but I have finally scratched my Hardy Perfect itch. This one came from the big auction site. It looked pretty seedy in the photos, and was terrifically filthy inside. I paid sub-$200, and was pleased to find it pretty intact and fishable, however the foot was quite loose in its dovetail.

ImageIMG_2088 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

A close inspection showed one rivet was broken, and the other quite loose. I could have fabricated new rivets, but some measurements told me I could drill and tap for a couple of 6-48 screws. This pitch is fine enough to be pretty strong in aluminum, so I opened up the holes, tapped, drilled a slight counterbore and set the screws with blue Loctite. Not having any stainless screws on hand, I sealed these top and botom with varnish. I did not hesitate to make this mod, as this was no collector's gem, and I just wanted to fish and enjoy it.

ImageIMG_2086 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I love the reel! It's a gem, it sings sweetly, and I think it is just a stellar design. I had hoped to use it with a tiny 2 wt rod I am building, but the little Perfect seemed less than perfect for that application. As it happened, a badly beat up Barclay No. 79 came my way, and as soon as I can complete repairs, I'll be using the old Hardy with that rod. I was interested to find that a Sylk DT5 would not fit on the 3 1/8" Perfect. I chose to trim 30 feet from the line and wind it up with a modest amount of backing.

I'd be grateful for any comments on the age of this well-used old timer. All of my reading says it may be from the '20s to the mid-40's, but that probably the foot is a replacement. Sadly, no interesting stamps are to be found inside.

ImageIMG_2089 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

So, nothing new to report here. Many of you were wiser than I and have been enjoying the delighful old Perfect for years. I'm glad to have finally joined the club.

Post 23 Apr 2023, 16:42 • #2 
Guide
Well, Jim, you’re smart enough to know that fly fishing is a special thing, and that a Barclay 79 matched with a Hardy Perfect is a special tool for doing that special thing. So you might be selling yourself short:)

Post 24 Apr 2023, 07:56 • #3 
Piscator
I would take a q-tip and solvent (boeshield) to that excess grease.

Post 25 Apr 2023, 01:15 • #4 
Master Guide
Excess grease aside..nice save of a covet worthy reel.
If I ever learn to fish RHW I'll be tracking down an old Hardy myself.

Post 25 Apr 2023, 22:25 • #5 
Master Guide
JustJim,

Glad you finally got a Perfect! Ive wanted one too for about 40 years. Picked up my first 6 years ago (heavily discounted thru Harris Sportsmail overseas) for one of my spey rods and loved it (4"). Shortly thereafter i picked two more from the same place for my trout rods. Now new ones are seem astronomically priced so my last one was a well worn vintage one.

My wide 3 1/8" is the "perfect" match for my pumpkin "A" 79!

Post 26 Apr 2023, 04:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I loved the Perfect since I was kid as well but never pulled the trigger because of the RHW thing.

In the 1980's Hardy had an iteration with a reddish brown ceramic line guard that was available in LHW so I bought the 3-3/8" from Hoagy Carmichael who was a dealer in those days. I still have it.

I later picked up all three of the early 2000 LHW versions when they were reintroduced from a dealer who cut me a huge break for almost 1/2 off and I later picked up a couple of the Wide Spool versions from Harris when there were great deals so I am set for the rest of my life.

All of mine are used on bamboo rods and spooled with real silk lines.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 27 Apr 2023, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Apr 2023, 09:46 • #7 
Guide
Beautiful cutthroat! You are making me miss my Rocky Mountain days...

Post 26 Apr 2023, 14:22 • #8 
Sport
It seemed that all reels (in my price range, at Payless Drug) were RHR out of the box, and lucky for me I didn't read any Scientific Anglers misinformation. Even the used SA system 6 I found in a local fly shop was set up RHR. So I learned fly fishing with right hand retrieve. This was in the early 70s. I guess I wasn't smart enough to think that I should wind with my left hand because I was right handed. Maybe 12 years ago I tried to change, but my right pinkie did not know how to guide the line back onto the reel. So instead of trying to teach my old pinkie a new trick, I just stayed a right hand retriever.

Post 27 Apr 2023, 08:33 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
RHW was the default mode well into the 1980s, when the swing to LHW predominance began and eventually, LHW became the default manufacture and delivery mode.

Post 27 Apr 2023, 08:56 • #10 
Guide
I got bit by the Perfect bug too. I’m LHW so finding one that is reasonably priced is tall order. I’ve had two 2nd generation LHW from the 50’s, a 3 1/8 “ & a 3 3/8” that I stupidly sold. Now I have two of the re-issues from that 2000’s, a black 2 7/8” an a gun metal grey 3 1/8”. I love them Perfects! Just not the cost.

Post 27 Apr 2023, 09:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I would take a q-tip and solvent (boeshield) to that excess grease.

Slightly OT but I can't help but ask Ron a stupid question:

If you want to remove excess grease, it is necessary to use a solvent like Boeshield or can you just wipe off the excess with a clean rag which is all I've ever done.

I realize just using a clean rag may leave a microscopic amount of grease but Boeshield contains lubricants too, albeit not grease.

Just wondering...

Post 28 Apr 2023, 15:13 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool old reel Congrats on getting it. Nice going with the foot repair. Fish it a ton and congrats again.

Post 30 Apr 2023, 08:42 • #13 
Guide
Well, the job is never done when you think it is. When I tried to fit the old Perfect to my Barclay 79, it did not want to enter the pocket of the cap. Close inspection showed the foot had been slightly bent on one end. I had to pull the foot off again, and using an appropriate piece of round stock as an anvil, I was able to cold form it back into line. I probably should have annealed it first, but I got away with it.

We have had a great deal of heavy rain here. The clouds parted for a spell yesterday, so I drove to a little creek perhaps five miles from the house for a little prospecting. I bushwacked my way in from the road, crawling over and under the rhododendron limbs, until I could get down to the creek. It was so thick there was no hope of fishing from the bank, so I plunged in.

I was amazed at how much water was there. It seemed much smaller and less inviting from the road. The water was good and cold, and egg laying caddis were present as well as a few mayflies. I fished carefully for 300 yards or so, and when the dry fly failed to produce, I reluctantly switched to a nymph. I thought surely I might find a few trout, but the only activity was from the big eye chub which infest our local streams. Oh well, I was in a pretty place and well away from the "honey do list" so I couldn't complain.

I baptised the old Hardy Perfect, and spent some time with my newly repaired Barclay. I'll hike in farther next time and give this pretty little creek one more chance.

Post 30 Apr 2023, 11:32 • #14 
Master Guide
Glad you fixed the foot and got to baptize the cool outfit. Thanks for sharing!

Post 30 Apr 2023, 12:35 • #15 
Piscator
Bamboozle wrote:
Slightly OT but I can't help but ask Ron a stupid question:

If you want to remove excess grease, it is necessary to use a solvent like Boeshield or can you just wipe off the excess with a clean rag which is all I've ever done.

I realize just using a clean rag may leave a microscopic amount of grease but Boeshield contains lubricants too, albeit not grease.

Just wondering...

It will leave a film of grease - then you use the solvent to pick it up.
The rag will also cause you to spread it farther. The q-tip will let you direct your effort.
Microscopic my butt.

Post 09 May 2023, 11:35 • #16 
Master Guide
That is an awesome "user". I purchased a more modern Perfect, but I'm honestly a little afraid to take it with me because I do so much riverside scrambling and combat wading that I'm afraid I'll trash it. Which makes it a not-very-useful reel, really. Of course I am a lefty, so RHW reels are just fine with me. I do have a couple Bougles (the Made in Korea ones that weren't quite so spendy) with the same checkworks. They're pretty dang nice reels...

Post 10 May 2023, 12:30 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Go for it. If we think we shouldn't use something because we might damage it, we have already damaged it without even enjoying using it.

Post 10 May 2023, 13:15 • #18 
Guide
I wholeheartedly agree with the wisdom of whrlpool's post!

Besides, when you get to be an old grey hair (like me), those scratches and finish wear will bring a smile to your face as you remember great outings from your past...

Post 11 May 2023, 09:33 • #19 
Guide
They are meant to be used. A reel's mojo is comprised of fishing outings, as is a rod's.

Post 21 Jun 2023, 21:18 • #20 
Master Guide
Ok you convinced me - I’ll spool it up.

New Topic Add Reply