It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2023, 15:06 • #1 
Sport
I recently just purchased this reel from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285218200820?n ... 7675.l2557

I've used a website that seems to be the "go to" for a lot of Medalist info but I'm still a bit perplexed as to the info on this reel. It seems like maybe it's from the 50s and the spare spool is newer? However, some people mentioned maybe the spool that is currently on the reel is actually the odd ball out and the spare spool/reel are actually a bit newer (maybe from the 70s).

Anyways, hoping some of you can give some insight into the time frame of when this reel was made and any other helpful insight. I feel like even if it is a newer reel, it's probably still a decent price including a spare spool?

Post 10 Apr 2023, 15:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The discussion of eBay auctions goes against forum rules.

Post 10 Apr 2023, 18:19 • #3 
Sport
jhuskey wrote:

Even if the auction is over? If so, apologies admins, please feel free to delete post. Didn’t think there would be issues with completed eBay transactions z

Post 10 Apr 2023, 18:21 • #4 
Administrator
jhuskey wrote:

Close.

Discussion of ongoing eBay auctions can be perceived as price manipulation. More than once irate eBay sellers joined the forum to chew us out about the condition or value of their 'precious' tackle. So, please don't discuss ongoing eBay auctions.

Discussion of completed auctions is fine. Such a discussion is an educational opportunity. The auction images will be deleted in a couple months. The original poster should upload photos of the item in question. Keep in mind, an eBay buyer purchases the item, but not the copyright of the seller's images. The buyer should ask permission to use the auction images here at the forum (I can't imagine many sellers will object).

Tom

Post 10 Apr 2023, 18:31 • #5 
Sport
There used to be a Medalist thread on EBay that carried a ridiculous price of a million dollars. Wasn't selling anyrhing but whoever listed the item included a detailed history of the entire reel line from the 20's to the 90's. It was an incredible reference with tons of detailed info that was helpful when you were trying to ID a specific reel.

I looked for it Anyone know what happened to it or if the info is repeated somewhere else? It was really well organized.

Post 10 Apr 2023, 19:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
LimerickShaw wrote:
jhuskey wrote:

Even if the auction is over? If so, apologies admins, please feel free to delete post. Didn’t think there would be issues with completed eBay transactions z

As Tom has pointed out, I was wrong Sir. Please accept my apologies. As I looked at the auction photos, I would agree with stated that the spare spool was the original DA spool for the reel. The spool on the reel looks earlier, and a match for a Made In Akron, OH reel.
Best Regards,
John

Post 10 Apr 2023, 19:59 • #7 
Sport
No worries! Thanks for the insight.

Post 11 Apr 2023, 07:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I remember the million dollar or whatever it was reel.I believe the purpose was to spread information to customers as no one was going to buy a reel for that amount.It was a very slick marketing tool or maybe just someone sharing their knowledge in a unique way.Whatever the reason it was pretty cool.

Post 11 Apr 2023, 07:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Anyways, hoping some of you can give some insight into the time frame of when this reel was made and any other helpful insight. I feel like even if it is a newer reel, it's probably still a decent price including a spare spool?

The frame is made in Fayetteville Ar. ca 1970s from the "DA" mark on the face plate and the spool shown in the reel is older made in Akron Ohio ca1950s from the "Trade Mark" on the latch cover.
The spools interchange with no problems as do most parts. The spool that came with the DA frame would have said "MADE IN USA" on the latch cover and is pictured as the spare spool.
Much info is here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14731
Quote:
I looked for it Anyone know what happened to it or if the info is repeated somewhere else? It was really well organized.

The ebay poster is Mr Genesee who twice has been a member of this forum, last as mrriver memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8392
He went ahead and expanded what was on eBay and IIRC asked on this forum and possibly others for a place to publish his info, then later on offered something like a PDF for sale on eBay for a short time. I'd guess one could message him on eBay and ask if he would make that document available again. https://www.ebay.com/usr/mrgenesse?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=68327&p=391650#p391650

Post 11 Apr 2023, 07:47 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The installed spool is older than the reel, which doesn't have the Akron, O stamp on the frame. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8629&p=56287&hilit=Made+in+Akron+O#p56287
Not likely, but realize that with Pfluegers over several decades, any one reel may also have replacement parts installed that fit and function like the original but may not be identical in time period/detail (a replacement latch cover, foot, frame ring, drag knob and so on. Doesn't matter; in fact, that was the whole idea: a durable, easy to maintain and repair product that will last and last.

Post 11 Apr 2023, 08:57 • #11 
Guide
Just want to emphasize whrlpool’s mention of “frame ring”.
IMHO Pflueger began to use screws to fasten the Medalist frame rings to the backplates (replacing rivets) around 1952, coinciding with the period the round line guard Medalists disappeared.
So, basically, when looking at any post-round-line-guard-era Medalist, it is reasonable to question if someone might have switched-out the original frame ring.
Some of us have found this out the hard way, unfortunately…

Post 17 Apr 2023, 18:30 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Is Joe Cornwall's (cornmuse here on the forum) fly fish ohio site still up? I couldn't find it immediately.

https://www.flyanglersonline.com/featur ... art287.php is another site. Be careful I have been told there are a few mistakes, so don't take it as gospel, but it's a good start.

As a fishing tool, the DA are as good as any medalist. There is some charm to a beat up "Akron" and the metal plate looks nicer, but the reversable plates in the DA models work really well.

Post 17 Apr 2023, 19:29 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
@carlz, no, Cornwall's site has been down for several months. I have no idea what happened to it. I think it was flyfishohio.com; it was a great resource not only for his Medalist pages but also his fly patterns and articles.
Most of Joe's Medalist info is here though and mrriver has add his disagreements with previous postings as well, so I guess this is about as authoritative as anything on the web- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14731
maybe some added info here- http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... p?t=135809

Post 17 Apr 2023, 20:23 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The six rivet spool is supposed to be an older spool but I have also received DAs with a six rivet spool.The DA is supposed to have a 3 rivet spool.Whatever,the Da reels are as good as any Medalists.They are the last of the USA made reels.That was a pretty good price nowadays.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 00:35 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
On the secondary market any Medalist reel can have a spool from any other Medalist reel from any date, they all interchange. I use a 1940s spool on one of my Chinese Medalist frames with zero problems, that's why I dated the reel and spool differently in post #9. It may be that a used reel is made up of parts from 10 or 20 other reels, broken or parted out. The parts interchange.
The six rivet "Trade Mark" spool is from before ~1961, the "Pflueger Medalist, Made in USA" three rivet spool dates from ~1961 late Akron reels through all the DA reels. And it doesn't mater for fishing purposes all the Medalists work equally, the parts interchange so one reel is pretty much the same as another.
I do think the late Made in Akron O reels are aesthetically nicer, but I'd be hard pressed to say why.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 08:42 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
And an original box is just that; but the reel inside it may not be the reel that originally came in it.

New Topic Add Reply