It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Mar 2023, 20:11 • #1 
Guide
Doing some research tonight on a new reel I just bought. Says made in England on it. Apparently brass. I see it may be a Heaton bca21 but not sure if that. Can’t seem to get the brass spool out of the frame. Tried removing all the screws. Am I missing something here? Any tips on cleaning it up? Never cleaned brass before.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 20:51 • #2 
Piscator
This is a Heaton bimetal, but it will be the same - after removing the thumbscrew, the winding plate is also threaded onto the spool with RH-threads.
Image Image

Here's the all-brass Heaton, just don't have a photo of it disassembled.
Image Image

Post 06 Mar 2023, 21:38 • #3 
Guide
Bulldog I was hoping you would post! I knew you would know. Can you share a technique for removing the threaded plate? I don’t see how to do it and the brass is SO SOFT. Thanks!!

Post 06 Mar 2023, 22:39 • #4 
Piscator
First remove the thumbscrew.
Tightening the winding plate (CW) may help you release the thumbscrew.

Then pin the spool with your thumb and wind the winding plate CCW.
Rather than using the handle and risk splaying the handle rivet, try thumb friction on the winding plate surface.

You can also remove the thumbscrew and apply penetrating oil (e.g. Kroil) to the spool/spindle and winding plate threaded joint, and let it sit for a couple of days.
If you can't get the thumbscrew out, penetrating oil there is where to start.

Post 07 Mar 2023, 20:55 • #5 
Guide
Followed your instructions and broke the reel down. Boeshield sprayed in the opening yielded the easy separation of the brass plate from the frame. I cleaned it with vinegar and water per your instructions. Took ALOT of elbow grease. Gonna need to hit it again I think. I kept the brass plate as it was with the patina. On the inside I found some clear deposits of blue. I didn’t want to clean them and risk removing the patina. They are on the inside anyway. Bulldog what would you recommend? More pics here. Also, should I be able to take the reel apart further to access the “insides”? Thanks again for all your advice!!

Post 07 Mar 2023, 21:26 • #6 
Piscator
Those blue deposits are not patina, but chloride- or sulfate-bearing salts - look up paratacamite.
As these salts further oxidize, they release the strong mineral acids, and the corrosion cycle develops deeper through the thickness.
Patina gets thrown around too loosely - what you have is more likely dealloying corrosion, and you want it out.
There's not a better candidate for vinegar bath than brass.
This happens to be nickel silver, which is essentially nickeled-brass. This also happens to be a $4000 reel the owner didn't want wasting away as it sat on a shelf.
Image Image
Image Image
now it can grow a patina

Post 08 Mar 2023, 08:05 • #7 
Guide
Bulldog - I just reread my post. In my hurry to post I missed a picture and the point I was going for on the patina question. I didn't post a picture of the other side of that brass plate that has the handle on it. The other side of the plate is what I am worried about because it faces out and you see it when the reel is reassembled. On that other side of the plate there does not appear to be ANY evidence of those same blue deposits.

So my question is this - should I use vinegar / toothbrush on the inside of the plate, cleaning the blue deposits off the inside? Sounds like your answer is yes on that one. Next question is, do you have any tips on keeping the outer look - which is the aged, darkened brass look - while cleaning the inside? I found the brass parts REALLY shined up nice using your method. I'm hoping not to have to shine the outside of the plate and keep that with its current aged weathered look.

Also - should I be able to break the reel down further to access internals? It has a nice click sound and I want to be sure that gets cleaned and greased as needed.

Thank you again for all your help with this. So cool!

Post 08 Mar 2023, 09:01 • #8 
Piscator
The blue deposits will continue to release HCl over time and go deeper into the brass.

I once cleaned a brass DAM Effzett then used Brass Black to patinate it - came out very nice.
Consider that these metal salts are more corrosive to the metal than the nascent salt that produced them.
It's an inexpensive reel, but if you want to preserve it, it needs to be cleaned to start-over.

People say the same thing you're saying about rusting steel bicycles - it looks cool - it won't be here for the next generation unless you deal with it.
The bare 1939 Italian frame was grit-blasted by my friend Tad - and restored

Post 09 Mar 2023, 20:56 • #9 
Guide
So I guess my only remaining question on this is, if there are those nasty blue salt deposits on one side of the plate, and I clean them, do I also have to clean the reverse side of the plate? Even if no evidence of that side having damage?

I may just follow your suggestion and clean the whole thing, the only issue is I can’t submerge that plate cuz it’s got the wooden handle on it too.

Forgive me if I missed it - is there a way to take this reel apart further?

Post 09 Mar 2023, 22:05 • #10 
Piscator
No, I'm sure the handle is riveted, and you're right about the swelling.
You can definitely use a toothbrush and vinegar inside and try to keep the handle dry.
Finish with Boeshield will help.

New Topic Add Reply