It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:57

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Pflueger Medalist
Post 06 Mar 2023, 09:20 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
It's always hard to nail those dates down. One replacement part or a different spool installed can confuse the issue. That one does appear all of a piece from the time named.

One good thing about a reel that hasn't been lubricated and wiped with oil frequently before falling into disuse, it is less likely to be gummed up. But please, I beg you, if you plan to use the reel, clean up the drag plate and underneath, and clean up the spool mounted plunger, which appears sludged up. Everything should move crisply. Some people like grease on the plate, fine if given regular attention so as not to pack into the spring-driven plungers. Fine machine oil will keep everything crisper--with more frequent refreshing needed.

Another lucky point if the reel wasn't protected with a film of oil frequently--the riveted pillars probably haven't loosened up. Vibration and lubes designed to creep/penetrate eventually get to them. The screw-fastened and replaceable pillars were an improvement, but then someone had to remember to snug the screws now and then.

Either way, a reel worth taking care of. Outlasted old Frank and has another whole lifespan ahead of it.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 21:44 • #27 
Guide
Thanks. I am also not a fan of mixing grease with springs. A great dirt trap it there ever was one. I am planning on cleaning and oiling this week.
Due to warmer than normal weather and water temperature, my club is stocking this Wed and our opening day is Saturday.

I am looking forward using it with my FF75 and my newest acquisition, my FF855.

Might not see as much water as some of my other reels but this one will still get used.

Thinking a light coating of Boeshield gently buffed with a chamois or microfiber cloth would also be a good idea.

Edit.
This might be ironic, but some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
On a whim, I discovered that the spool of my Cortina is an exact replacement for the 1494.
The Japanese demonstrated in the late 60s thru 80s that they could replicate and improve on just about any American or British product. And I am not starting an argument. They also went with the pillar screw upgrade, anodized finish and what is either high end chrome or polished stainless steel for the trim and pillars. And no hint of the plastic spool cap disintegrating, so they obviously had good chemical engineers on board. And I am also willing to debate the subject of a push vs pull drag design and how it relates to static vs dynamic friction and the pros and cons of nylon vs phenolics.
Yes the Medalist is iconic. But Pflueger went to a steel bushing to save money. The Japanese retained the bronze bushing 40 years later and machined at additional cost a grease retaining pocket at the midpoint of the spindle and solved the need for the external cast boss for the drag adjuster by using a shoulder screw. Also a much finer, almost twice the TPI screw for the adjuster. Actually probably metric.
The only thing that I don’t like are the flats on the knob. I prefer smooth round knobs on reels. The only issue that I have with my Beaudex which really like.

Post 07 Mar 2023, 07:54 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Well, Depression and wartime products and post war boom products two or three decades later wouldn't be quite comparable. Bronze bushings were the norm in post WWII Pfluegers. That one may be an exception, but most of the common knock-offs were of lesser quality. Many of the parts did interchange, but there was a reason it was easy to have a box full of junked out knock-offs for parts, and that the parts were rarely needed for a Pflueger, let alone busted up ones to stash for spares. The knock-off plastic knobs did break frequently--realizing that depends on whether the reel was actually used and exposed to whether conditions, lubricants, and so on. Unless the plastic parts warped or broke up in storage in excess heat or chemical fumes, a knock-off that shows few signs of handling wear wouldn't have fallen apart. Yet. It would need some use, at least until the spindle boss loosened in the frame. Pflueger pedaled its own economy knock-off of the 149X series--a very serviceable reel but likely to wind up in the parts bin way before the real thing. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69972&p=381001&hilit=Pflueger+progress#p381001

Post 07 Mar 2023, 08:26 • #29 
Piscator
Medalist was the best production US reel from 1930 to 1980.
If it wasn't, it wouldn't have run that long, no one would be interested in OnePfoot parts, and Olympic-Seiko wouldn't have knocked out cheap, worthless, poor imitations.
To this audience, this thing will never be on.

But 1930 to 1980 Medalists still have a lot to say, and there are good things to say about Medalists made up to 2005.

Image Image

Post 12 Mar 2023, 19:44 • #30 
Guide
I bought this from a friend of mine at the club today. He was selling some overpriced reels with brand names that looked like they were actually made by Martin. But this was a deal at $65. With the extra spool. It is barely used. Someone attempted to convert to left hand wind but never switched the line guide. So glad I am left handed.
All paperwork. It is the 1495 size. But close enough to my Olympic knock off to do an honest comparison. It has a December 1966 production stamp.
I have also seen value engined versions of the Hurricane Cortina with silk screening instead of the applied cast nameplate.. The one I have seems to be an early release that might have been better made but overpriced when it was first introduced and then made cheaper. Who really knows.
But already I noticed that Pflueger went back to the bronze bushings but reduced the spool rivets to three instead of six. The drag ratchet looks plastic but they sealed and upgraded the click pawl. So it looks like they made changes and choices to stay competitive.
And for the record, I am a dyed in the wool Pflueger fan when it comes to bait casters. My narrow spool Supremes will outlast and out fish any modern reel with there fancy plastic centrifugal and magnetic brakes.

And I am not trying to change people’s beliefs.
Just pointing out that there are a few unique over seas reels out there that might have some interesting variations.
And how long something has been made doesn’t necessarily imply it was the best.
Brand loyalty, marketing, availability and price point and even trade regulations and restrictions can have a major influence on a product’s lifespan in the market. Ever notice we don’t have Lincolns and Oldsmobiles anymore. Not because they were bad cars.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 08:18 • #31 
Piscator
Everyone else who has posted about both reels on this thread have Also critically evaluated both reels side by side.

The market put Medalist at the top for 50 years, not any one's opinion or brand loyalty - the difference is not Medalist fanboys.
The following resale market has kept it at the top for another 40 years, right up to today.

When you flip your light switch and it works, it's white metal babbits that are sending you that power, not yellow metal.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 09:29 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
They didn't "upgrade," the spool mounted plunger. They redesigned to an easily replaceable part. That was likely because of ease in production that, fortunately, suited user characteristics as well. It was kind of like the change from grease-fitting ball joints to "permanent" ball joints. At first, they were permanent until they wore out, but that was as long or longer than a neglected greasable ball joint. There was no messing with them, no lube weeping from the joint, and not much of a project to change them weighed against slopping around with a grease gun. Plus neatness of manufacture and assembly.

The original design wasn't sealed. Thus, it was less likely to become packed with congealed lube in its brass fitting. Easy to flush, drained naturally in use. I guess the weeping arohnd the latch cover might have been unsightly for a studio photograph of a seldom-used reel. It should have been wiped off to begin with after the tiniest drop of machine oil that could be applied. The sealed design was easier to forget about until it didn't work. Bottom line, these were manufacture and maintenance choices, not technical improvements in function.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Thus, the knock-offs--with little variations, not to improve function, but as flimsy attempts to avoid patent infringement suits.

Six and three rivet spools shown here, as are the different plunger/pin mountings, and latch cover logos--all evolutions of the mid 1960s. Great pics of each type plunger in posts 20and 30 above as well as other detail.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5749&p=39053&hilit=crescent#p39053

Here's a late '60s 1494 1/2. Doubt the original owner used it much. Has another lifetime in it,

Post 14 Mar 2023, 19:49 • #33 
Guide
That’s a good point. Didn’t think about that. I remember drilling, tapping and adding Zerks to a lot of stuff and tearing out grease seals on bearings that should have just gotten splash oiled on 70s transition era bikes.

Still prefer the looks of the early Pflueger but want to do some schoolie Striper fishing with my 9wt Fenwicks and figure that the 1495 might have enough capacity for a 7-8 WF intermediate and enough backing to keep keep me from getting spooled if I accidentally hook into a slot. In Massachusetts thats 28”-35”. Different but close in other states. I wouldn’t want to taint the experience with my modern Lamsons. Lol.

Reaching a point where I have enough versions and variations of reels and rods to keep me occupied for the rest of my natural lifetime.

But I also believe that the Pflueger patents would have been long expired by the time the knock offs were made. Some are definitely cheaper imitations but others I believe were actual attempts at improvements.
After losing the patent infringement lawsuits to Shakespeare on their level wind worm screw design on baitcasters , actually Shakespeare just delayed until it wasn’t worth suing, I wouldn’t think Pflueger had any interest in pursuing copyright infringement. It is usually a net loss unless the infringer makes large profits anyway.
But I see the validity in your assessments. Their had always been a market for lower priced copies when the purchaser doesn’t understand the technology.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 20:54 • #34 
Administrator
Fredderf wrote:
Still prefer the looks of the early Pflueger, but want to do some schoolie Striper fishing with my 9wt Fenwicks and figure that the 1495 might have enough capacity for a 7-8 WF intermediate and enough backing to keep keep me from getting spooled if I accidentally hook into a slot.

If you want the Pflueger style for schoolies, find a Valentine Single Action reel. Same look, but with a drag grown up on steroids. Plus they were made in Massachusetts by a company still in business.

Or, if you insist on a Pflueger fly reel for muscular fish, how about a Pflueger Supreme 577 fly reel (the reel on the right)? These are antireverse fly reels with a full size cork disc drag. They tend to slide under the radar on eBay... Right hand wind only, but worth it.

Tom

Post 15 Mar 2023, 12:00 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Good excuse to get the "Pflueger on steroids" Valentine, that's for sure. The 1495 1/2 has ample backing capacity with a WF 8 for Atlantic salmon fishing. A thinner intermediate line would leave room for still more. I think I had about 150 yards green spot 18" dacron on mine--with a Cortland 333 WF floating line. But a search here would turn up a ballpark backing chart to judge if the capacity suits the conditions. Unless on a river where you can scramble downstream, I always found anything more than 100 yards pretty useless. The fish go farther sometimes, but if they do, they are going to get off one way or another anyhow. In open water, from a boat--well, let's have a report when you select and hook a fish that gets to the last wraps around the arbor.

Post 16 Mar 2023, 06:37 • #36 
Guide
Just a little story , working my job on the RR here in MA on a bridge over saltwater in Manchester by the Sea , Stripers we’re corralling baby bunkers inside the little cove , only flyrod I had in the truck was my old 7’-6” Fenwick Feralite 6wt with a 14941/2 Medalist , both early 70’s vintage , both performed flawlessly with fish in the 24”-30” range , and the lone 34” fish almost , but not quite got me into backing for a brief moment . So , maybe under-gunned a little , but the little pflueger performed admirably … However , if given that situation again , you may want to definitely investigate the reccomendation from JGestar with the Valentine reels , they themselves are truly a vision of form-function , and perfection , with the drag system as mentioned , with a history-reputation similar/equal to the pfleuger’s for duration … Have Fun !!!

Post 18 Mar 2023, 21:34 • #37 
Guide
Thanks for all the great suggestions. In another month or so depending on a lot of variables, Striper fishing will be happening. Sooner if you are a south of New Jersey. Meanwhile, due to a warmer than expected spring, Brookies, Browns and Rainbows are steadily being introduced into Massachusetts rivers and lakes. And many lakes, ponds and rivers stocked in the fall have a large population of holdovers. This year is looking much better than the drought of last summer.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply