It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:32

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Pflueger Medalist
Post 25 Feb 2023, 23:27 • #1 
Guide
I actually do not own one. Have plenty of vintage Pflueger bait casters and ultra light modern trigger spinning reels. Enjoy them all but they are not fly reels.

Doing a little research and realizing I don’t know much about them.
I have an Olympic Cortina Hurricane that I have been told is a Japanese knock off with a better designed drag mechanism.
I am looking for something in a 5/6 range and see that there are new versions that claim to be better than the originals. I am a bit skeptical, but looking for feedback from those that have used both the modern and originals.
Are these basic clicker reels? If so, the Olympic with its nylon clamping drag on a reversible clicker is clearly a superior design based on my observations.
I also have a Pflueger Monarch 5/6 that looks a lot like my Martin LM 45 but has a smooth drag with nice adjusting knob.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Pflueger Medalist
Post 25 Feb 2023, 23:39 • #2 
Piscator
you were told wrong

Post 26 Feb 2023, 00:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The hurricane I had was much heavier than the comparable Medalist, and has a different style drag.

The hurricane drag was made from a plastic that didn't age well. It becomes brittle and will snap.

I used to think the Olympic drag was comparable but clunky, but after having a couple snap I now consider them only useful as a priest.

Post 26 Feb 2023, 03:13 • #4 
Guide
The newest modern medalists are click pawl reels that are more similar to the Hardy Lightweight series with the adjustable screw and dual pawl system, plus they have an exposed rim for palming the spool. So, overall, aside from looks, they are quite different from the vintage medalists. They are also fully machined and anodized, smooth reels. They go for $100 or so. Vintage made in USA medalists these days (in good condition) are half that. The foot of the vintage ones don’t fit a lot of modern reel seats, just an FYI

Post 26 Feb 2023, 07:21 • #5 
Piscator
There is enough written on Medalist on this and other forums - for 50 years, America's Best fly reel - there's no excuse to write an OP like this one.

Post 26 Feb 2023, 08:30 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Start with the search function: Pflueger Pfest. Then, taking a nontechnical approach, realize that the development of Pflueger fly reels--including manufacture and materials, is in parallel with much US manufacturing development, and thereby, recreational development. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch if "pflueger" became another word for "reel" in the same way "xerox" came to mean, "copy." And that would have happened in the post-WWII boom, on into the fiberglass heyday. "Why do Pfluegers get a Pass," would be another good one to look over, but there are so many informative threads here, it's a long run with a lot more before getting into the backing.

By the way, I remember checking out just about every Pflueger 1400-series knock-off as they came on the market. Many were quite serviceable. None were of the same quality; they were inexpensive alternatives. They had their place in an emerging market (Herter's sold one of the first)--pricepoint, not quality, being the attraction. They worked because they were based on a long-perfected design.

Post 26 Feb 2023, 08:35 • #7 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
There is enough written on Medalist on this and other forums - for 50 years…

BD’s post caused me to do a quick search on this forum.
5,670 Medalist posts.
Amazing!

Post 26 Feb 2023, 15:21 • #8 
Guide
I guess I better start reading then.

Post 26 Feb 2023, 16:04 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
You'll enjoy it. And check out the Orvis Madison version as well.

Post 26 Feb 2023, 19:35 • #10 
Guide
Thanks. I really enjoyed the “Pfest”.
Very humorous and some great photos.
It reminded me that the best deals I got when collecting bait casters was due to the misspelling of the word Pflueger by non fisherman.
I also read an informative article on the different variations over the production life of this model.
https://www.flyanglersonline.com/featur ... art287.php

Very similar to when I was building custom British bikes. Never was much into “restoration”. I followed the Engineer’s Motto-“ If it ain’t broke, take it apart and fix it”.
And it seems at one time, there was an active after market for improvements.

It also looks like there were better versions when it came to build tolerances and less desirable “improvements”. Marketing double speak for “Cost cutting”.

Seems like there is going to be a lot to digest before I decide which one I decide to experiment with.
I really do not like to purchase things that just get put on the shelf. So I take my time. And while I try not to judge others, fishing is my passion and hobby, not in anyway my source of income.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 12:01 • #11 
Guide
I think I can safely call my feelings for Pflueger Medalists a "Love/Hate" relationship. My first 2 reels were Medalists..one I still have a 1494DA model that is used for parts these days. The second one my wife bought me as a part of my first graphite outfit in the late 70's....the rod was a Pflueger as well.

That is the "Love" part of the equation, going back to the sixties and seventies...nostalgia for a time when those reels were really the workhorses and basic options for many fishermen who could not afford Hardy's, Bogdan's etc. I believe they were about $20 retail, which was a bit of money for a reel back then. A Hardy cost $100 new, which was a lot of money, considering a brand new Orvis cane rod was $150 or so out of the catalogue. The Medalist had mainly disc drags that worked well

The "Hate" came about while running a fly shop, long past the time when they were "Made In The U.S.A." and we frequently spooled lines on them, occasionally switched from right to left hand retrieve for customers. Hint: use "Loctite" when replacing the screws that hold the frame together, so they don't come apart again. Switching the line guard was often necessary. The disc drags had some small parts, but doable , even for those of us who are not very adept at such things.

The full frames of Medalists somewhat precludes the palming of the spool on a running fish..but there is a way with ones finger tips on the edge of the spool. The drags are remarkably smooth, being a well designed disc drag (the disc can be removed and flipped over to change retrieve direction), but the bad part, in my thinking, is all the small parts involved. They are amazing...but for me the less moving parts on a fly reel the better.

I have a few intact Made In USA Medalists...a 1495, a 1495 & 1/2..and an unfished 1492 click drag Medalist I have yet to find a use for. I prefer the simplicity of the click drag Medalists, but they all work. Oh, and about 6 spools that inevitably show up in vintage tackle boxes at yard and estate sales. The pot metal is soft bends easily, so can be bent back with ease as well.

The 1495 (&1/2) series are a good size for 6 wts..and I would leave a Made in USA Medalist right hand rrtireve if that is how you find it.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 12:57 • #12 
Administrator
Phil-a-Flex wrote:
Hint: use "Loctite" when replacing the screws that hold the frame together, so they don't come apart again.

If you use Loctite, use blue Loctite (#242). Red Loctite won't come loose without torch heating. If you can find purple Loctite, better still.

Tom

Post 27 Feb 2023, 13:04 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The Madison has a different color scheme... be on the lookout for that.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 13:33 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
People used to know how to take care of stuff. Pfleugers will outlast the user if given the minimal care shown in the Orvis pamphlet or any of the Pflueger pamphlets of the time.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 15:48 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
No need to ever use LocTite on small pieces, in my experience, all that is needed is to clean the mating parts with a solvent like lacquer thinner or acetone. Something a couple of old mechanics taught me sixty years ago that still seems to work.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 22:26 • #16 
Guide
I just bought my first Pflueger Medalist. It is an early 1494, with the riveted sculpted pillars, round line guide and metal spool cap. And I assume the adjustable drag because it has the little knurled knob. Probably mid to late 1930s.
Didn’t waste to much time making my decision. Was considering an upgraded PFoot but I haven’t received a response to my email yet.
I am going to pair it with my early No Serial number Fenwick FF75 5 wt.
I bought it from a very nice elderly member of the GGACC.
I am sure I will be happy with it. Plus it comes with a money back guarantee.
I will post photos when it arrives. Thanks for all of the great help and guidance.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 23:35 • #17 
Guide
Sounds like a perfect pair to me , my first non-beginners outfit (back early 70’s somewhere) was a 7’-6” Feralite for 6wt , with a 1494 1/2 , I still fish it a couple times a year , very little if no maintenance over the time , keeps on tickin !

Post 28 Feb 2023, 04:46 • #18 
Guide
Solid decision fredderf!
Yes, please send pics when it arrives and we can help you pfine-tune the date…

Post 01 Mar 2023, 13:08 • #19 
Guide
Over ten years ago on eBay there was a dark blurry picture of what looked like a 1495 1/2 medalist with the sculpted pillars and round metal line guard. It also had along side it another cheaper reel, a two for one purchase. I wasn’t 100% sure it was what I thought it was but it had a buy it now of around $20. I bought it and when it showed up sure enough it was that medalist in excellent condition. I almost felt guilty getting such a deal. I really regret selling that one after a year or two

Post 03 Mar 2023, 18:19 • #20 
Guide

The reel arrived and I just unboxed. Came as pictured in the velvet bag along with the bonus items.
Only have time tonight for a quick look. The spool had a steel and not bronze bushing.
It may have been stripped and professionally repainted awhile ago. Using a 100x hand microscope shows little nicks here and there. Some filiform corrosion under the paint in a couple of areas. But no evidence of masking lines. And only the things that’s are supposed to be painted are. Will need to be lubed. But negligible end float on the spool. No wobble.
I am more than happy with this purchase.
Will get more photos but looking to hear what year people think it was made.

Post 03 Mar 2023, 19:02 • #21 
Guide
Great looking reel! That may be original paint. More photos should answer your questions.

Post 04 Mar 2023, 08:34 • #22 
Guide
That’s a Beauty !!! Also really like the Orvis Madison versions ,especially the 1492 size clickers …

Post 04 Mar 2023, 09:37 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
As for date, reel foot would put it around 1939 or after imo. Earlier would have been painted brass, earlier yet cast. Hard to pin down Pflueger by parts definitively though.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 19:56 • #24 
Guide

I am inclined to agree with the 1938-39 date.
Regardless of the possible refinishing, the reel is mechanically in excellent condition.
And due to an amazing coincidence it also has a pretty reliable pedigree that links it to the FF75 that I intend to put it on.
Which makes it all the more desirable to me whenever I will fish with it.

Plus the transaction has shown me how small and interwoven the fly fishing community actually is.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 20:18 • #25 
Guide
IMHO 1939-1942. I think the combination of the plated square foot and the non-brass spool bushing fit it right in there somewhere. Someone else might know more precisely when the brass spool bushings first appeared.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply