It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:57

New Topic Add Reply
Daiwa 859 and 858
Post 31 Jan 2023, 20:19 • #1 
Guide
Win some, lose some. I felt very fortunate to have found the 859 in Florida for a reasonable Buy it Now price. I believe it was only marketed in the UK. But I was very excited after to find an 858, what I believe is the equivalent of the narrow spool 1505 multiplier. In almost new condition. The 859 is nice but is more like an MW version.
But sadly, after buying it, I was told by the seller that he only ships within the UK and had to cancel the sale.
So if you have a friend in the UK and want a very unusual version of the Young 1905, it is still available.

These are all metal gear and pawl versions. No plastic or nylon parts. Same quality as the Young 1905.
Besides the porting in the backplate, the frame casting doesn’t have the tapered bump out which probably negates the weight savings of the porting.

Re: Daiwa 859 and 858
Post 01 Feb 2023, 06:56 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Those do turn up in the USA as well. There are Orvis, LL Bean, and other versions. All cosmetic variants of the Young 1500 series. Don't backwind a multiplier; don't use it as a winch; don't slobber it with lubricant. Those are all ways to slip/strip a gear. Others from a different series do have a plastic gear that makes for quieter running; the precautions noted are even more important. Use it as intended for quick recovery of loose line, or for quick winding of moderate tension line on the down stroke in a pump-and-wind retrieve.

The robust click-pawl on the 1500 series makes them a great reel for hard running fish. Too bad about that one, but sooner or later another like it will come your way. Check the thread "A Young By Any Other Name."

I should add that I was skeptical of the composite foot on these reels way back when I bought a few of the conventional wind 1500 models on closeout at Bean's for $15 each. These were Young-labled, with the gray powder-coat finish. I think this was about the time they were phasing in the same reel with the Bean's cosmetics and label. Anyhow, the foot has been just as rugged as the rest of the reel. It probably doesn't take well to a sharp impact if the reel is dropped. There is always a way user-error can damage something.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 10:52 • #3 
Piscator
Young composite wasn't cheap graphite filled plastic, but a quality ceramic composite that included frames and spools among their last great reels such as the Neauvex.
Intended to save the company against the onslaught of imports, but they didn't find a market.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 20:38 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for the information. I will use both, but I think the casting and the spool release mechanism on the 1505 is just a little more refined. Glad to hear that the reel foot is durable. I am really curious about how they molded it. There is only the faintest mold line on the top, but the rest looks machined.

Also thanks for the great tip on the Young thread. Spent a very enjoyable 1 1/2 hours reading the entire thread. Maybe a little more than that.
Looks like you could spend all of your time just collecting variations of the different models.
I still think finding that 858 in excellent condition is going to be a long waiting game. But you never know. I am always surprised and amused when another new opportunity just happens. As of now, I think I have enough multipliers to keep me entertained throughout the spring stripper season, the summer large and small mouth bass season and maybe some large fall browns in Maine this year.
Thanks again for the invaluable knowledge and advice from both of you. You have paved the way and make it a lot easier for us newbies. Less trial and error.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 21:36 • #5 
Master Guide
These versions of Young’s are kinda Meh.. for me
Riveted frame and carbon reel foot (regardless of how good the ceramic carbon nano mix Bulldog mentioned) just screamed disposable back in the day ...

The plastic gear , most powder coat and chrome coating were lessons in planned obsolescence ….

The drag is top notch and so is the brass work on the handle spindle sleeve .

I only own one because its mint condition and says Daiwa on it

Not a JW Young hater either ..
Although I do prefer Hardy or BFR reels myself lol :lol

I have a Shakespeare Speedex that I really love

The 1500 series clones Daiwa,Beans,Sage
Just don’t seem to last under serious pressure.
The chrome peels .
The silver machined lip on the spool rim pits and corrodes .
The powder coat flakes/corrodes from the inside/bubbles . The spools get lots of play
These reels do not like to be ridden hard and put away wet .
They are English after all lol ;)
Not all of them go belly up .
But there are some definite QC issues to these reels.
How Daiwa thought it be cool to port the backplate on a multiplying reel is beyond comprehension…
They didn’t even cover the gears at all .

I use this on a Daiwa Eliminator graphite rod .
But frankly I’m scared to use this reel anywhere near sand or salt …

When it comes to a multiplyer reel I’m stickin with Martin MR72’s

Fredderf at least your reel has the metal gear.
Wish mine did ..
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 01 Feb 2023, 21:40 • #6 
Piscator
Not the same as composite used in 1500 foot and Neauvex frames and spools

Post 01 Feb 2023, 22:42 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks for that clarification Bulldog :P
The Young’s cheap budget private label carbon foot is still better than the BFR carbon foot
At least young mounted it close to the frame so it doesn’t flex nearly as bad as this Orvis BFR

My Cortland / BFR Crown 95 still has the cast aluminum foot .

Why was it always a race to the bottom in fishing ..
And companies wondered why they started tanking ..

Cheers guys

Post 01 Feb 2023, 23:58 • #8 
Piscator
Just got power back and got my computer up so I could see the photos.
The Daiwa is definitely the same ceramic-composite as the Neauvex reels.

Image Image

This one happens to be disc drag (same drag as barstock Sea Venture), and the same reel JAF sold as the Saltwater.
When the cost of a barstock reel from the Young line reached $500, they tried these, which are great reels, but people still wanted the barstock thing even from Asia. They decided to shut down the fly reel line and continue only with centrepins.

This one was trick - Mucilin brand, with hairpin-spring check
Image Image

Post 02 Feb 2023, 00:40 • #9 
Master Guide
Cool reels Bulldog :)
So the Neuvex reels had the Ceramic carbon foot and frame?
Very cool Looking .
Didn’t STH have a disc drag that was similar to that Neuvex disc reel ?

I’d rock that full Carbon Young version Vs the 1500 private label reel’s pot metal & chrome trimmed frame .
Digging the gold counterbalance as well!

Did Young private label reels like the Mucilin with the non adjustable click hairpin check ?

Is the Mucilin metal frame or the Ceramic-Carbon frame ? Your reels are so mint I can’t tell :lol

Thought one of the Bean’s guide series or perhaps one of the Sage’s 105? Was like that ?

Now where did I put that Speedex??? :eek

Post 02 Feb 2023, 07:30 • #10 
Guide
As an FYI. The 859 I bought also has a metal reel foot. If you look closely at the first photo, you can see little shiny spots where the finish is gone.

Not sure about the 858.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 08:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
If you don't use something for fear it will wear out, you just wore it out without even enjoying it for whatever its service life might be.

One of my most heavily used reels over the last 30 years or so is a 1525, good as new. Maintained, but not babied. The "plastic" gear on some of the multipliers, like I said, quiets the gear train and self-lubricates. Multipliers aren't meant for heavy loads as in winching, and don't invite them, either, since the cranking effort has to be very high to overwork the reel. It is designed for fast line recovery under moderate load.

Realize that parts would have been available for these for a pretty long spell. If somebody uses a mechanical device, they usually find out how to break it early on. They blame the device and get something different, or they realize how to use it, get an inexpensive, easy-to-replace part, and use it without breaking it the same way again.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 09:17 • #12 
Piscator
I can't tell either - they were too easy to sell to fund other projects.

SHT? harrumph

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Feb 2023, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 10:32 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Glad someone enjoyed the "Young by any other name" thread. Gosh, I just got looking back through various multiplier and Daiwa/Young threads and there are many other little details and variations noted. The Daiwa frame is probably the most distinctly different from others based on the Young. IDK if some were the result of incremental product improvement, price-point manufacturing, or combination of the two. Also noted above an interesting point about the composite reel foot concerning height/strength. Not sure there is enough side force there to make a difference; leverage, maybe, if battered sideways. That's one for the materials/engineer folks. I like the low profile for a more practical reason, probably irrelevant to someone without compromised wrist function, but still a part of the feel and compact efficiency of a low-profile foot. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70748&p=391991&hilit=low+profile+reel+foot#p391991

Post 02 Feb 2023, 13:53 • #14 
Guide
ottbahn, outstanding review and pictures with excellent additional info from bulldog & whrlpool.
You just got to love this forum!
Thank You! Fly Boys!

Post 03 Feb 2023, 13:39 • #15 
Master Guide
Thanks Netman !
Just here trying to keep it Reel :lol

Fredderf , if you ever want to trade your all metal Daiwa for My plasticized one just HMU!

Bulldog, wonder how many reels would I need to sell to get myself a Phillipson Expert (Scotchply) lol

I think I was just cajoled by whirlpools peer pressure ;)
See what you’ve done now …

You had to make me rig up the Eliminator

Didn’t you !!

Now the Daiwa Carbon reel foot has interfaced
with the Daiwa Carbon reel seat who knows what hijinx will commence !

Way to go whirlpool
It’s been months since since my last sip of Graphite.
Lol :lol
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 03 Feb 2023, 14:34 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Dang! And I don't even have one of those, having left one on the closeout table lo those many years ago. That became my benchmark of $15 for that reel, notwithstanding paying more for a Speedex long afterwards. I guess I'd have given 20 or 25 if I stumbled on a good one in the Bean's version later on, but I never did. You are allowed to use them on a fiberglass rod, that I know.

Post 03 Feb 2023, 19:27 • #17 
Guide
I just saw a combo with an 858 and a Daiwa boron rod. But plastic gear and looks like bubbling chrome. I know nothing about boron rods but thought it was interesting considering the recent photos above.

New Topic Add Reply