It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

New Topic Add Reply
<()))>< Pflueger 1495 AK
Post 31 Jan 2023, 16:25 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" Don't laugh. :) I finally found a reel I'd been looking for, for some time. "OK" "OK" I've had all the high-end stuff. You know, Bogdan, Walker, Schultz, Bellinger, etc. etc. Yea, and they're great. But this bugger is a real treat. Cutting my teeth umpteen years ago with the right-hand wind only Pflueger reels. I remember loading them so as to somewhat create a backward left hand wind reel for myself. So, the reels ran backwards. Silly I know. But NOW! I have, from the factory, a legitimate LEFT HAND WIND Pflueger Medalist! Yes sir, a 1980ish Pflueger 1495AK. And in dam near mint condition. And for a whopping $85.00. What a bargain, what a buy, what a steal, what a deal!!! I am thrilled. It took me forty years to find this bugger. :) This bugger will be strapped on proudly to a few of my larger classic fiberglass and cane rods supporting a DT6F line for some serious nymphing this spring. Can't wait to get her on the water. :) Have a look!
Mark

Post 31 Jan 2023, 18:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Well ! The spool has the trademark medallion and the open bushing for the spool-mounted pin/plunger. It is from a much earlier model. Nothing wrong with that, but check the rest of the reel again. Is it stamped "made in Akron, O"? That would make it from the 1960s, most likely, long before Pflueger changed hands. I guess I can make out the AK stamp, but check the other side. I forget when, but Pfluegers fitted with a reversible brake disk and instructions how to reverse were available from about 1960 on. I have one I purchased new in 1963. You could also have a reel with various replacement parts besides the spool. Doesn't matter, it's a fine reel and great to have one,

Post 31 Jan 2023, 18:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
There is a bit of concern that it was made for the Japanese market based on the "AK" stamp and the spool was added later. (?) But I'm "OK" with that as it will fit just fine on my Kabuto rod. :) No, no "Made in Akron Ohio" on the reel or spool.

Post 31 Jan 2023, 19:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 1494AK LHW in like new condition.The only reason i kept it is it seems to be factory LHW.It does not operate like the flipped ones and unless the former owner did a flawless job moving the line guard.The drag will tighten down real tight and will loosen to almost none.I love the way this one sounds,did not like the older ones i flipped.Sounded well not good.This really goes well with a modern cane 6Wt i purchased.I also have 1492 AK RHW that i will never use ,tried selling it but no interest.4yo grandson i think is a southpaw so maybe he will use some day.I thought the AKs were crap from what i have read but i like this reel a lot,Are all the 92s RHW only?Seems like a nice little reel.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 00:08 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That reel sure has a nice finish on it and regardless of how the old spool and the later face plate came together, the reel will last another 30-100 years of hard fishing.
The six rivet spool was before !962, 1959 they came out with a conversion ratchet for LHW and in !963 the flip over ratchet. (per Richard Komar's history)
I've never knew that they ever factory set the 1495s to LHW. I have flipped several.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 12:20 • #6 
Piscator
Close, AK = 2001

Post 01 Feb 2023, 17:04 • #7 
Guide
I think you're going to like that reel. I have 2 AK's; both say made in China. They're built solid, they work, and they've never let me down. There are a number of one pfoot upgrades - I have the drag plate installed in mine; both have been switched to lefthand wind. In addition, I, too, have older spools that I purchased 2nd hand and they fit like a glove. And the prices on them are actually reasonable. I have other medalists than AK. My CJ was made in Japan and the DA's were made in America but I can't tell that they're any better.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 21:37 • #8 
Piscator
Until you drop one. -AK have a really nice foot and ratchet plate, but frame and spool are die-cast. -DA and older are stamped from aircraft-grade wrought sheet.

New Topic Add Reply