It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:28

New Topic Add Reply
J. W. Young 1505
Post 30 Jan 2023, 20:33 • #1 
Guide
After being stuck in a warehouse for a couple of weeks after the Royal Mail ransomeware hack, my reel finally arrived. Was quite surprised at the nice clean condition. It looks like an early version but was also surprised by what I think is a composite reel foot. Doesn’t sound like either cast or billet aluminum. Not about to scratch it to find out. I also noticed that the extra spool is a later version. Note the manufacturing change, the lack of the circular depression around the center bushings and also the reduced thickness of the center bushing. I have found a photo of another 1505 with this spool. The fit and finish of that reel is not quite as nice. But that happens a lot. Probably realized the depression served no real purpose and the thicker bushing will still wear just as fast.
But really like the look and feel of this reel. All ready spooled a new Airflo Superflo 6wt WF-F Stillwater and a NOS SA Aircel Supreme 2 7wt DT-F.

Edit: While you can’t see it in the photos, the crank has a step/ shoulder that rides on the bushing and also fits into a recess creating a very durable system essentially creating a mechanism similar to a roller bearing. This step also provides the clearance necessary to keep the crank handle from contacting the spool. Really nice design.

New Topic Add Reply