It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:44

New Topic Add Reply
Martin M6B or M6,,BX
Post 13 Jan 2023, 16:32 • #1 
Guide
I can't seem to find any information on this reel anywhere. It looks like a late model. Made in Mohawk, NY, USA.
Back is ported and looks a lot like an MG-7. Skirted spool. The paint finish is not the best either.
But I am wondering what the B or the BX stands for. Bass or black?

Any reference information or reels papers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Martin M6B or M6,,BX
Post 13 Jan 2023, 17:09 • #2 
Piscator
Very nice reel, desirable with twin click-pawl, alloy foot.
Among the last USA Martins, not sure why there's a dilemma.
Martin's are pretty much all the same size and capacity dictated by two widths they offered.
That's a reel to take fishing.

Post 13 Jan 2023, 18:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like it has the desirable dual arm configuration of the later US Models

Post 13 Jan 2023, 22:15 • #4 
Guide
All good points. And what I guessed based on the later technology and cost cutting on the finishing. Maybe EPA restrictions on high VOC finishes. And no doubt it’s getting spooled and matched with probably an FF79 and an Airflo Stillwater presentation 6wt WF as soon as it arrives.
But why have none of the Martin fans ever mentioned it? I did my research before I snagged it. The closest reference was when I think Ron made a typo on an MG -3. Someone else commented about never knowing an MG-6 existed before the typo was corrected.
But this is clearly marked M6B.
I know about the Martin M9-D disc drag that doesn’t get much acknowledgment.
But this doesn’t even have a hyphen. And the Martin folks obviously didn’t make enough to justify printing the correct label. The B was hand written.
Someone must know something about this reel. I have never seen a B designation on a Martin reel.
As Dr Evil says in Austin Powers, “Throw me a bone”.
I won’t know until I look at it. Maybe the B indicates it might have some kind of bearings instead of bushings. Maybe the marketing people were getting desperate and just relabeling or making up model numbers.
Thanks.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 00:13 • #5 
Guide
I found this in my reference files that I keep. It shows the M6 for 30yds of DT6-F with 100yds of backing. The Dual Click-Pawl adjustment information is from a Martin LM Series manual which looks to be the same as the M6. Note in the first paragraph it says to remove one of the pawls after choosing left or right wind. The reel pictured does have one pawl removed. Also helpful is the way the pawls are removed and put back in.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 01:00 • #6 
Piscator
:like

Post 14 Jan 2023, 10:11 • #7 
Master Guide
It looks like a cross between the MG-7 (back plate) and the Trophy series ( dual drag and the same silver medallion on the spool). Cool reel that I watched on Ebay. I’m going to line up a Martin Trophy 4/5 today.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 14:54 • #8 
Guide
Thanks everyone. I am not familiar with the Trophy Models or dual drags so I guess I have some research to do.
Those pictures really helped. I might be imagining this, but if you zoom in it looks like the back plate on the the M6B doesn’t have the holes like in your M6 photo. But there is something silvery that I can also see. Could be some type of mechanism. Could be partially cut out and I am seeing aluminum rivets. Also could be a silver twist tie.
Guess I will just have to wait to find out.
Thanks again for the great information.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 18:32 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
They call it "dual adjustable drag," but really it is a dual-arm click-"drag"/check. In use, a coil-spring powered single-pawl check as ever. This later configuration came about as LHW became the predominant mode--late 80s and then 90s. The original single arm design as manufactured favored RHW, and was "good enough," but not ideal as the arm's position and resistance relative to the pawl still favors RHW even if the pawl is flipped. Only the aysmmetrical pawl--by flipping it--could be changed to optimum LHW. If the single-arm design were produced by retooling for mirror image orientation, that would suit the LHW mode that became prevalent. But then the RHW swap would be make-do.

The dual-arm gives the same mechanical advantage if the pawl is oriented correctly and the correct arm chosen. As with most symmetrical check flat, leaf spring arrangements, this coil spring design is intended for use with one pawl engaged. On a rare occasion, both pawls could be engaged for greater pay resistance, but at the expense of increased wear and greater winding resistance. So this arrangement is "symmetrical" in the load that either arm will place on the pawl in wind or in pay. I suppose they could have done that with an identical mirror image separate arm, but that would necessitate a separate adjustor knob and cam for each arm.

Wow, good to mention the Trophy series, related in parts and design. The M 6 and 8 wouldn't draw much special notice, being just another of an excellent family of USA made reels--industrial chic from budget price on up.

Trophy: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13561&hilit=dual+pawl#p83552

The dual-arm set up was also used in the machined series of reels.

LM/Browning Strata: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17769&hilit=innovations+Strata

Post 19 Jan 2023, 23:10 • #10 
Guide
Thanks for the explanation.
I have the LM 45. Very nice reel.
And luckily being left handed, most of the older reels and those that haven’t been set up for left hand wind are perfect for me.
Not sure about the rationale. Did they used to think that right handed people were too uncoordinated or that hand was too weak to use their left hand to wind a reel? Fortunately, most left handed people are practically ambidextrous. Same also with bait casters. You would cast than change hands.

Here’s a lefty joke.
Why do they make right handed tools?
For the 80% of the folks who are handicapped.

Edit: I have figured out how to revert reels back to RHW. The reel papers and older threads by Bulldog are very clear in the process for pretty much every old reel.

Edit # 2. Received the reel today. Same as M6 except the entire spool is black anodized including clicker gear. No photo of front and back of the M6 but might be the same. Black Counterweight opposite the crank on front. Black clicker adjustment knob on back. Matte black paint and reel foot is black anodized aluminum. Except for silver Martin Badge and anodizing, the M-67SS spool is an exact replacement. Back is exactly like the MG-7 except for dual arm clicker.
Nothing bad I can say about this reel. Incorporates the best features of all of the early Martins. And the latest clicker setup.

New Topic Add Reply