It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Dec 2022, 14:29 • #1 
Guide
I was curious about the durability of the circular spring in the single check versions of the Hardy Marquis/SA System reels. The Hardy Viscount also has this circular spring. I think I’ve seen them broken on reels listed on eBay. And I believe there has been some discussion on this here before. Is it an inherently bad design or no? Do these circular springs predictably fail with consistent use?

Post 06 Dec 2022, 15:58 • #2 
Piscator
I personally would dodge them in favor of the adjusting yoke and hairpin springs - if nothing else, because you can replace these with parts for current models.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Dec 2022, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 16:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
A more revealing line of inquiry would be what is the advantage of the design in function and durability. Pretty sure the answer is "none." Don't know the production reason, but it is probably that tail that wagged that dog, or just the "new and different" mantra. The symmetrical, dual pawl designs like the one shown above offer at least two key advantages: easy reversibility, and--because they are intended for use with one pawl engaged--a set of spare parts, both spring and pawl. On a rare occasion and temporarily if a user really wanted it, the range of click resistance can be increased by engaging both pawls. That's at the expense of increased wear on a less easily fixed part, however--the spool mounted gear.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 17:00 • #4 
Piscator
C-springs go back to the prewar Lightweight, which is one of the most collectible reels ever.
There's a lot of bending stress on the C-spring attachment, also on the tensioning contact, because of the long levers involved.
Similar long springs on other reel designs, such as click-springs on Meek and Talbot have a tendency to crack at the attachment, as well.
The hairpin check spring has a lot of force in a small package.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 22:52 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for the input, I recently got a Hardy Marquis with the “better” of the two check systems. However if a good deal presented itself for the circular spring I wanted to know if I should steer clear or not. I fish all my reels so durability is a priority.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 23:31 • #6 
Piscator
My Marquis fished on tv
It sounded really good, too - I was mic'd.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 00:33 • #7 
Guide
Awesome, love it

Post 07 Dec 2022, 03:30 • #8 
Administrator
The circular spring reels can be recognized by the direction of the lettering, the spool release cap, and the single rivet showing on the back of the body. In both photos below the single spring reel is on the right. The circular spring system is a 'lighter' drag without much adjustment range. The two spring drag shown in bulldog's post has a much wider range of adjustment. See this older post for some photos of the reel interiors.

The single spring reel in the photo was a mess when I got it. After a full bulldog cleaning, the reel purrs gently.

Tom

Post 07 Dec 2022, 09:05 • #9 
Piscator
That's a great link Tom, and Steve's pristine Battenkill example breaks all the rules.
The C- or O-spring reels are not going to explode on you, but it's certainly fair to say they're less tolerant of abuse.

More power to their fans. They may represent a particularly good buy, especially for light trout fishing.
People have asked on a couple of forums how to adjust them for more if they don't deliver enough pay resistance.
Trying to permanently bend the spring for more would likely be the straw.

Since we're on Hardy and check systems, my favorite Hardys - the two I've never sold - are the Prince - the 5/6 is a better match with System 5 than a Marquis, independent of indecorous sensibilities.

The widest-ranging Hardy check is the Sunbeam check, which is also on the small Cascapedia and JLH Ultralite.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 09:48 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The plastic line guard is often and very easily overlooked - and a weak spot,
also you sure do see many irregular shapes to that circular spring.

I would opt for a Hardy Gem instead... better but a different reel entirely.
The foot on that one is a weak spot.

No matter what reel - I always try to find new reels no one has monkeyed with.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 10:17 • #11 
Piscator
I'm with Brian - you won't see me with rash reels - I'll keep going until I find what I want.

Image Image

Post 10 Dec 2022, 01:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Viscount with the circular spring, fished it hard on big stillwater trout for a decade or so. It's still rattling along.. loudest click of any reel I have, and adjusts as heavy as I've needed.
I've heard the rumors of these springs breaking but my example has been good..

Post 10 Dec 2022, 09:58 • #13 
Guide
Quote:
I have a Viscount with the circular spring, fished it hard on big stillwater trout for a decade or so. It's still rattling along.. loudest click of any reel I have, and adjusts as heavy as I've needed.
I've heard the rumors of these springs breaking but my example has been good..

Good to hear!

Post 10 Dec 2022, 22:13 • #14 
Master Guide
I have and have had quite a few of the system/marquis reels in both configurations. The circular springs are a bargain. Not much difference between the two. I believe it is a metal spring under the plastic ring. I have always moved the circular springs along but not from performance.

Post 17 Dec 2022, 10:24 • #15 
Guide
That spring is made of some kind of plastic isn't it? Never figured is would hold up to long term use, so I never tried one. I recall seeing some older Lightweight reels that had a circular or maybe crescent shaped spring (I cant recall exactly), but definately not a caliper check style, more like a hybrid that incorporated the Mk II check.

Post 17 Dec 2022, 10:54 • #16 
Piscator
It's a steel spring coated in thick plastic.

Post 22 Dec 2022, 16:32 • #17 
Guide
I had a Hardy Marquis/System 10 sized fly reel that was unmarked and had a metal spring with no plastic/nylon coating. Think it might have been a prototype. There were some other subtle differences, such as a brass lineguard. Showed it to John Shaner, a Hardy rep, but he wasn't familiar with any prototypes of this series. I had no use for a click pawl 10 wt, so I auctioned it on eBay for about the same price, IIRC, as a regular Marquis.
In my experience the circular spring works quite well, so long as it has been backed off when the reel is not in use. Here are a few photos.

Post 27 Dec 2022, 01:06 • #18 
Guide
Huh, very interesting variation, thanks for sharing

Post 01 Mar 2023, 22:14 • #19 
Master Guide
Here is a picture of the spring inside the plastic housing. The plastic spring comes up time to time and this is the best picture of it I have seen that shows its construction.

Picture posted with permission

New Topic Add Reply