It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Dec 2022, 07:39 • #1 
Sport
Hello all...ready for Christmas?
I was really just searching for Onephoot, is it defunct again? Dan corresponded with me maybe two years ago, but I can't get a reply now.

In searching his chrome drag plate an image popped up of what that forum says is a Pflueger accessory METAL LHW 16 DETENT plate from the 50s!? That would be the cat's to me, if indeed they are even out there to be had.

What's the deal these days on metal replacement Medalist drag plates? I'll bet bulldog has the low down, anyone else know where I can go for them, especially with16 detents on the drag side?

Thanks all, you ARE the best on such details, Charlie

Post 02 Dec 2022, 08:51 • #2 
Piscator
M-Parts from Bob Selb, classicflyfisherman.com
You can e-mail or call.
When I e-mailed him last month, he answered me on the road, then sent me an invoice when he returned to the shop.

Post 02 Dec 2022, 15:53 • #3 
Sport
Thanks bulldog1932, I knew you'd have an answer. I sold Mr Selb several rods a few years ago, good guy too. Maybe he'll steer me toward the 16 detent plate.
Charlie

Post 02 Dec 2022, 20:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't had any dealings with the new owners but their website is https://onepfoot.com/parts

Post 03 Dec 2022, 06:33 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Trev, the term "one-pfoot" when searched does not retrieve a link to that site for me for some reason. Charlie

Post 04 Dec 2022, 13:35 • #6 
Guide
I just went to https://onepfoot.com/parts and it seems to be working (Dec 4, 10:35am PST).

Post 06 Dec 2022, 01:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The original plates were either 16/4 or 16/2 RHW I don't know if anyone has made a 16/x LHW plates. I think a 16/8 would be a treat.

I don't think anyone makes these. OnePfoot and M-parts are 8-dentent reversable.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 09:03 • #8 
Piscator
The first Medalist patent drag ratchet plates were 2 in wind and 4 in pay
It's really a fun sound.

The 8 ramps on both sides of reversible OnePfoot and -AK graphite-filled ratchet plates are perfection.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 11:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
One of the geniuses of the Pflueger design is that as the plunger "ramps up" (down really) to engage the drag disc, the much touted "low start-up" is inherent in the process. The spool gets a start agains coil-spring pressure only before the friction drag kicks in. The number of degrees of less-resistant rotation depends on the number of notches and the length of their "ramps." Personally, I'd expecxt the original design shown above, up until the eight of later plates is best. The number of notches does change the sound, but the real purpose is this gradual start-up. Perhaps it's not significant, but more notches mean more abrupt drag engagement. On the other hand, it's a pretty smooth friction drag anyway, because of the spring float on the single pivot brake shoe. So a relatively small point. Anyhow, 16 notches never interested me because of the potential to lose this light start up. Maybe somebody who has used one a lot can comment--beyond the sound change.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 02:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
All of mine are 4 & 8, including the two AK. I've never really understood why there is a difference. But it doesn't bother me enough to want to change them out. It's a rare day that I even notice the clicking of a reel.

New Topic Add Reply