It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:58

New Topic Add Reply
New Orvis CFO II or 123
Post 28 Nov 2022, 22:05 • #1 
Master Guide
Does anyone know if Orvis plans to make a smaller size of the new CFO? I’m a fan of the new CFO III that Orvis is building in house, so I’d love to see Orvis add a new CFO II or 123 for shorter rods in the 3-4wt range. Just throwing it out there in case anyone here knows the Perkins family at Orvis.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 07:39 • #2 
Guide
I agree. A smaller CFO would be great! The Hardy anniversary reels, in my opinion are too expensive. The new CFO is more reasonably priced.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 11:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It will be interesting to see what happens...

It will obviously be driven by the demand and popularity versus the bread & butter “clicker,” the Battenkill and whether the “out of house” company making the reel (assumed to be the same outfit making the Mirage Reel, Mirage Pliers, Orvis Pliers & the Orvis Nipper) could meet that demand.

Even though the earlier Abel CFO was offered in three sizes, it never got the full treatment of options meaning spare spools and those iterations disappeared after a short amount of time so it’s hard to predict what will happen with the latest CFO.

I'd buy one if you want one. ;)

Post 29 Nov 2022, 12:45 • #4 
Master Guide
Back in the 80s I drooled over items in the Orvis catalog and had lusted over the CFO II and its miniscule 2 oz weight. Eventually I built an Ultrafine 2wt from an Orvis blank in the late 80s and purchased a Hardy featherweight for it because the reel price was a little less cringeworthy.

I was really disappointed when Orvis quit making the CFO II and replaced it with somewhat heavier/larger versions. Fast forward to the present I had Graywolf build me an Ijuin 6'6" 3wt "blade of grass" fiberglass rod and I put my old featherweight on it. I was happy but still not completely satisfied with the reel even though thru most of the late 80s and 90s my main trout reels were the LRH lightweight and featherweight. I eventually put a Korean made Hardy flyweight on it and still wasnt completely happy.

Now almost 40 years later I finally purchased my first CFO reel (a vintage CFO II) and I have finally found my perfect reel for this perfect 3wt rod.

I hope Orvis will make them again too.

Mike

Post 29 Nov 2022, 18:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Don't get your hopes up...

The newest CFO III has a stated weight of 3.0 oz versus the Abel version of the same size at 3.50 oz.

The original Hardy built CFO III (sans line guard) of the same era had a stated weight of 3.0 oz as well.

The original CFO II Hardy built version had a stated weight of 2.0 oz while a Hardy Flyweight comes in at 2.75 oz.

The lightest of the Abel CFO's (CFO I) came in with a stated weight of 3.20 oz.

If I was a betting man I'd guess you won't see another CFO at 2 oz.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 22:42 • #6 
Master Guide
There seems to be some discrepancy in the reported weight of the new CFO III - some publications say 3 oz and others say 3.5 oz. It feels closer to 3.5 oz to me.

Mike, glad you finally found the right reel for your 6’6” 3wt. I doubt you’re the only one looking for a light reel under 3oz to balance a short/light 3wt.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 22:57 • #7 
Administrator
The little $10-20 electronic scales from eBay are a very handy rod & reel tinkerer's accessory. Look for one with a range up to 500 g and a resolution to 0.1 g. Make sure it takes AA or AAA batteries - avoid the models that take 'coin' batteries. Look for a scale that can be set to measure in grams, ounces, and grains which will cover any fly fishing need.

Tom

Post 29 Nov 2022, 23:50 • #8 
Master Guide
No one seems to like the tiny-sized small-arbor reels these days. Except us. :-)

My special olive-and-brass colored CFO 123 from the 1990s is a favorite of mine.

New Topic Add Reply