It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:53

New Topic Add Reply
SA System Reel advise
Post 07 Nov 2022, 12:36 • #1 
Sport
Looking to unclutter my pea sized Sasquatch brain. I'll tell you what I think I know and you can tell me what I don't, and lead me in the proper direction

SA system ll is the hardy knock off that sold with the system # 4, 5, 6, 7 etc rods.
I'm not interested in those, yet, maybe someday.

First system TWO ( caliper, disc drag) had lots of writing and said made in England on side, and was fully caged and came in 6/7 etc.

System 2, same drag and various sizes.

System 2 L lighter version.

System 2L, later versions with ventilated backs. Not of interest.

I had a few of these system 2 model, Used, years ago when I had the shop and remember them being good functioning reels.

This spring I dug thru my handful , or two,glass rods and started fishing them. I didn't realize how popular some of them were until I found this sight.

I want to try one of the above mentioned reels on my FF806. Using a DT-6 line. the big question which size do I want. Major amounts of backing are not required. I'm open to suggestions.

BTW I have been using a Pf 1494 1/2 or a Martin 67ss. Enjoying them both. Searched the archives and made my self thoroughly confused.

Thanks for your help
Newmin

Post 07 Nov 2022, 15:14 • #2 
Administrator
For information on the earlier SA reels, I suggest going thru this thread from this spring. Lots of photos and info.

Once Scientific Anglers started selling System 2 reels, I lost track of what was sold when. Most of them were at least functional.

Tom

Post 08 Nov 2022, 05:10 • #3 
Guide
I like the System 2 reels: heavy duty, lots of line capacity, and a decent drag. I use them largely for saltwater and salmon in 8/9 size and upwards.
But they are heavy: for the rod you are looking at I would not go above a 5/6 in size. The 6/7 could well take too much backing for you.

Post 08 Nov 2022, 09:54 • #4 
Piscator
I'll always be from the disc drags are for tarpon school.
Borrowing a humorous allusion from Bull Durham, disc drags are fascist.

DT6 is usually best on wide reel - the narrow Marquis that fits is the Salmon 8/9.
System-# reels were not a Hardy clone, but rebadged Marquis made by Hardy, and sized to fit SA's matching line; thus, rod, reel and line were all balanced to SA specs.

The best DT6 click-pawl I've ever fished is the Young Jubilee 5350, which is 3-1/2" MW size made in the last barstock frame.
From Beaudeux to Neauvex in this frame size would also fit the bill.

Post 08 Nov 2022, 12:11 • #5 
Sport
Sorry I used the term knock off. instead of rebadged. Thanks for correcting me. My choice of words was flawed.

Thanks for the advise on the click and pawl.

Newmin

Post 09 Nov 2022, 06:20 • #6 
Piscator
No worries - I had a System Two-L 5/6, purchased new in '87. Was never quite fond of it and gave it to a friend who loved it.
It would not have fit a DT6, requiring going up a size.
For reference, DT6 and WF9 take up the same space in a spool.

New Topic Add Reply