It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:40

New Topic Add Reply
Johnson Magnetic No 3
Post 30 Oct 2022, 20:09 • #1 
Guide
Got one coming tomorrow. Model 3. Not the “cool” one with the starburst graphics. With extra spool, papers and original box. Not sure why I bought it. But definitely curious to experience the silent drag. Someone is 3d printing an ultralight version with newer magnet technology in Europe. His stripping clip gadget is actually a pretty functional idea that is inexpensive and a lot better than a stripping basket for small streams. I guess I am a sucker for old “new fangled” technology. Will let you know if it lives up to the old advertising. But then again, until functional drags came into the marketplace, you never heard of people putting the fish on the reel. Everyone hand-lined them in. That was the skill that made fly fishing “different” then other ways of reeling fish in.
Edit: I just also accepted an offer for the No 5. Now I have both versions coming. Need to buy more backing and fly line. Any one know what lines these are designed for? The reel papers has an advertisement that says the number 5 came with 300yards of backing on one spool and none on the other. Was this meant to be split between the two or is the number 5 a heavy weight saltwater rod? Thanks in advance for any info.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 16:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Old Joe is long gone, so someone might as well revive those reels. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10638&p=68863&hilit=Joe+Brooks%2C+Johnson#p69421

Post 31 Oct 2022, 18:51 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the link. I am really looking forward to experimenting with these. I am hoping the No 5 will balance some of my 9’ Fenwick’s. And in my opinion, there is no such thing as too many trout reels. Makes quick grab and go setups a lot easier. The No 3 with the two spools will be setup with a 5 and a 6wt Cortland 444 peach DT-F.
An extra spool for the No. 5 would cost more than the reel so I figured I got a good deal on it. Looks clean in the photos and the chrome looks real nice on the Number 3. But you never know till it’s in your hands. Either way, it will be interesting.
And as a bonus, it comes with a Shakespeare 1890 Model EB which I have been told is one of the lightest reels. Plastic of course. Will be curious to see if it has degraded. But might clean up nicely with some Novus plastic polish.
As long as it holds line, how bad can it be? Might also just be a curiosity piece.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 23:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I look forward to a report!!

Nothing I despise more than noisy reels.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 23:52 • #5 
Administrator
This thread needs a catalog page.

The Model 3 is a nice size for a 5/6 weight rod. The catalog page states a DT6 line capacity. Between the black frame and the dead quiet pay and wind, they should have called it "The Poacher".

The Model 5 is a bigger and heavier reel. More of a small salmon reel. I have one, but I've never put line on it.

Wipe out the spindle bearing with a Q-tip and some mineral spirits or acetone. Then re-oil the spindle and handle with a drop or two of clean motor oil.

Tom

Post 02 Nov 2022, 07:17 • #6 
Piscator
there you go Tom

Post 02 Nov 2022, 13:21 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Appears to be an unused No 3 in its box.

Last picture is the reel on a Johnson Profile 7', Series 800.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 20:04 • #8 
Guide
Once again the Post Office disappoints.
Now they are saying tomorrow. And the No 5 has been bumped out till Friday. But still in time for the weekend. Crossed fingers.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 23:15 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool looking reels.Same Johnson that made the green spin cast reels?Which for that type of reel were pretty well made.How does the magnet work?I am not getting something here.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 02:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like the magnet is in the inner core of the spindle. It appears to interact with the little metal bar under the center cap on the spool where the latch release would normally be.

Looks like the spindle goes into a brass bushing in the spool.

I can't really feel the magnet take effect until the spool is almost fully inserted.

Sure others will be able to explain how it works.

This metal tab goes against the magnet when the spool is fully inserted and appears (to me) to be what causes the resistance to the spool turning or drag.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 08:07 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks GG.I took a pass on one of these years ago which is rare for me as I like gadgets and oddball technology from the past.Seems they work well as most here approve.I wish there was a smaller version to put on my Fly Atom.My favorite collector rod.These reels have the same atomic era vibe to them.

Johnson Magnetic No 3.
Post 05 Nov 2022, 00:18 • #12 
Guide
Had to jump in. Got this as a freebie with a Johnson Magnetic No 3. The 1980Eb without line.

Haven’t figured out how to remove the spool if possible. Definitely a different clicker going out and lighter going in as a right hand wind. But not the lightest. Just a neat reel.

Re: tuna can reels
Post 05 Nov 2022, 06:29 • #13 
Piscator
Can't tell what that is, but the backplate photo makes it look like bakelite - not a tuna can, certainly not a Burdick.

Re: tuna can reels
Post 06 Nov 2022, 20:17 • #14 
Guide
My scale measures it as 2.30 oz. It is not bakelite. Some type of plastic. But still not the lightest reel. And it is definitely not a tuna can. But peripherally relative.

I actually cleaned and lubricated the Johnsons, then got distracted and went fishing.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe post some photos this week.

I just bought another MG-3 tonight. very reasonable. Price is actually less than my last one. I will make sure I post the photos on the correct thread.
Edit: Just bought two. Will be interesting to compare the three I have.

For whatever reason, the ones identified as “Rare” seem to be more expensive and worn out or corroded than the plain old ones.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 20:47 • #15 
Administrator
Fredderf wrote:
I just bought another MG-3 tonight. very reasonable... For whatever reason, the ones identified as “Rare” seem to be more expensive and worn out or corroded than the plain old ones.

If the seller wants collectible prices, make sure the reel is Mint in Box or other grade that actually is collectible. Worn out/corroded Martins are worth $0.06 per pound. Don't be hasty. Good reels show up regularly for the patient buyer.

Tom

Post 09 Nov 2022, 09:41 • #16 
Piscator
Tom, sage point there.
Back when ebay was relatively young, the fly shops cleaned out their NIB Martin inventories that no one would look at when they visited the shops, and we all scored.
There's a difference between buying quality vintage fly reels and buying other people's damaged and worn-out junk (then complaining about it on FFR).
MG-3 is a delightful reel - if you drop it, especially if it lands under a glass rod, it won't be anymore.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 14:39 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Can't remove the spool?

Can't tell very well from the picture, but is that a button you push in the middle of the back of the reel?

Sorry if wrong, just guessing.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 21:00 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Freddof? can we see the front of that Shakespeare? the number is similar to the old "perfect" clones. But it surely looks later.

Post 17 Nov 2022, 20:52 • #19 
Guide
Sorry about not responding sooner. Finally got some rain and we did a smaller stocking than we normally did. Only rainbows. Brookies, browns and tigers I was told are still recovering from either spawning or something else. But I was not really paying attention. Been really busy at work and just excited to be out fishing again for trout despite the raw rain this weekend. This is a later modern reel. Very light weight and definitely modern plastic. Loud clicker, no obvious adjustment. But also audibly and measurably set up for a right hand wind. Being a lefty it is perfect. But still can’t figure out how to remove spool or if it is even possible.
Got some time on the water with my No 5 magnetic this weekend on my B Series Ff85 with a Cortland Camo 7 intermediate tip. Some interesting observations that I will go into detail this week. Actually a great idea with some limitations. For silent reel enthusiasts, it is probably the Holy Grail. Absolutely no wobble or end play.
Photos of the Shakespeare.

And both of the recent MG-3s were in better condition than the one I already have which is still very functional. Almost flawless finish and stronger drags and less end float.
Both are going into service so papers and boxes do not really matter to me in this case. Price was also fair.
Might have to dismantle my first one and adjust. It’s biggest issue is that someone thought removing a fly line sticker with a strong solvent was a good idea.

Going to have to reduce the image size on some of the close ups before I can post. Downside of the newest camera technology and older database software. But the No 5 proved to be quite enjoyable with the mono core sink tip line. I am glad it came preloaded with I don’t know how many yards of Dacron but I figure at least 200 yards. The Cortland Camo 7 is a lot thinner diameter than their regular ribbed braid core floating lines. Feels a little weird with no clicker. But after much contemplation, it makes sense that the magnetic drag will eventually increase as the line goes out and the spool diameter decreases. Doesn’t address the dynamic issues of angular momentum as the line acceleration overcomes the magnetic force. But I am not fishing big fish that I normally wouldn’t hand line anyway. If I expect big fish, I will always go with one of my sealed drag Lamson Liquids. Best economy reel for the money that I am aware of.

Got some photos.
The No 3 is a really nice reel. Chrome plating looks great but has some downsides. Luckily they are not visible. The uniqueness of these reels is the quietness. Haven’t been able to find my internal diameter gauges but the tolerances of the bushings is quite close. One of the spools is noticeably a little tighter. Maybe due to less use. And they are identified by a number 1 and 2. Not sure why. What I haven’t figured out yet is what is the wear point on the magnet to the obviously ferrous end plate. And how they intended to deal with this. The major advantage of the No 5 despite the cool graphics is the stainless steel. But strangely the spool has no identification markings.
And even cooler is that someone was willing to pay to have their name engraved on the reel.

Anyone ever hear of Bob Dahle?

New Topic Add Reply