It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:42

New Topic Add Reply
J. W. Young Beaudex
Post 02 Nov 2022, 20:49 • #1 
Guide
Just spooled this with a 90’ Cortland 444 Peach 6wt DT. No backing and line is about 3/16” from the pillars. The spool measures 3” dia. Spool is about 9/16” wide. Overall is approx 3-3/8”.

Did they make thinner 6wts lines in 1964? That’s the date stamp inside the frame.
I just can’t see where the 25 yds of 18# backing is supposed to go. According to the catalogs it’s should hold 30yds DT 6 and 25yds 18# backing.
Not even sure if backing was even Dacron back then. Or what the typical diameter for backing was.
But not really a problem, I have never actually had a fish take more line than my longest cast.
Honestly, maybe 60’ if I count the leader. 69’ if I add in the rod plus my arm.

But it balances my FF806-4 perfectly. Will see how it performs. Hopefully in next couple of days.

Re: J. W. Young Beaudex
Post 03 Nov 2022, 03:45 • #2 
Administrator
Sounds about right. Twenty five yards of #18 dacron does not take up much space on the reel. Roughly three layers of dacron on top of the fly line. But 25 yards will give you a cushion if that fish of a lifetime gets a jump on you. The backing will also help keep the inner end of the fly line from coiling into a complete spring from being wound too tight.

Try the old system of load the fly line on the reel, then add as much dacron backing as you are comfortable with. Leave at least 1/8" of open space to allow for uneven winding. Then unspool everything and put load it in the correct order (don't forget to clean the fly line if it needs it).

Tom

Post 03 Nov 2022, 08:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Cortland 444 is one of the most buoyant floaters. For a given weight, the higher floating, the greater diameter. Fly lines have always varied in diameter for a given weight according to their desired floating characteristics. A low-floater, with a .99 specific gravity will be smaller diameter. Many lines are medium floaters and will have a slightly smaller diameter/weight than the 444. SA Mastery vs Air Cell would be similar. The other factor is the length of the DT, typically 80 to 90 feet. Ten feet of fly line takes up quite a bit of backing space. In the case of that reel, it is also sized from a time of silk and then nylon lines that would be slightly smaller in diameter that used a dressing to repel water and suspend ("float") the line by surface tension.

As jgestar said, it looks like there may very well be room for 30 yards of 18" dacron. Unless the line really crowds the cross-pillars, there is probably plenty of room.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 10:31 • #4 
Piscator
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=25#p103586

Post 03 Nov 2022, 10:50 • #5 
Guide
Short answer: yes, most fly lines were thinner back then...line have become more radically tapered for weight distribution and castabilty for modern, faster action rods.

Double tapers take up more space on the spool than weight forwards, with the fatter running line in the middle taking up more spool space.

Many folks would not tell you this, but you can cut a few feet off your running line on a weight forward line to increase the yards of backing. Or go down to 12 lb dacron..or even gelspun poly with dacron, though it will take some more complicated knots to rig your outfit with gelspun backing.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 13:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have cut down a few lines and also halved a dt when i know i dont have to fish far.Sometimes i may be throwing a little backing too .See i can throw the whole line sometimes.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 13:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The link that Bulldog linked to is one I keep going back to. But in general a DT6 is a bulky line. A WF takes up so much less space on the reel. I love the Beaudex reels, but end up fishing my Sage 106M and 108m more. I prefer young's to Hardys when I fish. The hardies are a bit on the delicate side.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 15:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My 6 ' B/S and 7' FlyFox snare a EC Hardy clone and a 6wt wf f with some backing was jammed on the reel .It is some type of SA bass taper line.It fit at first but not reeling it tight while fishing it did not always want to fit.I cut about 5 feet off the rear and went to thinner backing.I use braid dacron catfish line.It is about half the price for twice as much.It is now a perfect fit with more backing.Been using it for 4 years and 1000s of casts now.I am a slow learner tho and fished for a whole season with it over stuffed and sometimes not getting all the line on the reel. I have at least 25 fly reels but this one is smooth and looks good with my 2 favorite rods.I have always been intrigued by the Young reels but just do not run across them.A member here and friend puts them on his Wonderods and they look great.The little Daiwa clones is are cool little reel too I use half a DT6 on it for the FLY ATOM.I like to handle vintage reels and have found many at flea markets garage and estate sales.Still have not run across a Young.Kind of done with the auction site.

New Topic Add Reply