It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 05:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Nov 2022, 12:58 • #1 
Guide
I had some success on one Martin badged LL Bean DS reel using a thin Teflon washer on the spindle underneath the spool to correct the excessive up and down play of the spool on the spindle. Is that called wobble? The washers’s OD is about 7/16” and its ID is slightly less than the 7/32” spindle diameter. It’s thickness is 1/128”. The washer does not fit perfectly and is slightly deformed by the slightly larger spindle of the DS but it works. I got the washer as a sample from a manufacturer which I forgot the name of but they had a great selection of such washers. I want to do the same thing on a Trophy SD 910 which has a 1/4” spool diameter. Anyone know a good source of Teflon or brass shim washers?
OD - 7/16”, .4375”, 11.1125 mm
ID- 1/4”, .25”, 6.35 mm
thickness 1/128”, .0078”, .198 mm

Post 02 Nov 2022, 15:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Gosh, most hardware stores have little trays full of them. Mylar or brass. Avoid shimming too tight, as that will put excess wear on the latch.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 11:01 • #3 
Guide
Around where I live the hardware landscape is populated by HD, Lowes, Ace and True Valve, which don’t have or never had trays full of thin brass or Mylar shim washers. Can you buy whole beef ribs at Costco or BJ’s? The alternative is to find a real butcher or local hardware store not tied to the narrow corporate mentality or specialty shops online.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 11:18 • #4 
Piscator
Another approach is buy the thinnest brass washer you can find - too thin to do the job alone - bend it into a curved spring washer, then bake in the oven to set. (15 min at 350F)

You could also place you home-made thrust washer at the bottom of the spindle to push the spool up into the latch.

JW Young did this for most of 100 yrs on thumbscrew reels.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 13:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Try other terms such as "washers" or "spacers." I would be astonished if a local source doesn't have a selection someplace in the store. Tru-Value and Ace stores usually do. An on-line search will turn something up as well. If in doubt about the size, by several. Punching out the center hole to fit the spindle is easy, so thickness is most important. Any thin sheet of "plastic" will work fine, too, and can be cut to fit.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 19:21 • #6 
Master Guide
https://www.mcmaster.com

McMaster-Carr. Any small hardware you can dream of. :)

Post 03 Nov 2022, 19:33 • #7 
Piscator
Bob, McMaster is great if you want 25 of the part and don't mind paying $9 UPS shipping.
I pay it all the time, because you can get things from them that are impossible to find elsewhere, including great places like Bolt Depot.
There's a very good chance the brass split spring washer I show on the Condex was part of a McMaster order 15 years ago, when I was repairing a dozen or so of these.
But they're kind of the last resort, and have to really want the part to pay the price.
If you get it wrong and the part you order doesn't work, you've spent quite a bit.

Ebay is often the best for buying small parts and Bolt Depot is over the top with piecemeal service if they have what you want.
From Bolt Depot, you can buy two of each in half a dozen sizes for 3 or 4 cents each, and $4 postage.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 22:46 • #8 
Master Guide
Hi Ron,

Bolt Depot is definitely another favorite (along with eBay). I just purchased a bunch of hardware from them to use on a utility trailer project. But, you're right: sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy a larger quantity than you might need and/or pay high shipping from McMaster-Carr to get that hard-to-find hardware.

I live in the sticks and have to drive 25 miles, one way, to get to a decent hardware store. That often makes on-line orders, even from McMaster-Carr, a reasonable choice for me when I need some specialty item.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 01:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have cut shims out of plastic jugs that lasted a surprisingly long time. The Ace near me has drawers full of small hardware that you never see if you don't ask. I've walked past them dozens of times without even thinking "what's in those drawers"

Post 04 Nov 2022, 04:18 • #10 
Sport
Radding, I've had the same problem on both of my 67SS reels. I have some
10 ths brass and copper shim stock and it worked fine. I used a punch to make the spindle hole. Its thin enough that you can easily cut it out with a small exacto knife. Might not be a perfect circle but it doesn't need to be. The outside just use scissors. It was a bit to thick so I just made a second one and gave it a few wacks with the hammer to thin out and cut a new one. Send me a PM and I'll mail you some.

Newmin

Post 04 Nov 2022, 09:57 • #11 
Guide
Newmin, great! I’ll take you up on that offer.
McMaster/Carr had close to the size, except 3/8 OD and .005” thick, in brass and Teflon. Cost is 10 and 15 respectively plus shipping.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 10:46 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Nice outcome! Finish by PM, please.

Just a comment, the need of a shim isn't a "problem." Actually, sometimes micro tolerances cause more problems because the least bit of fouling, let's say from congealed, dirty lubricant or mineral fines deposited after water evaporates, can cause wear or poor operation. Things run smooth until they don't. And those "tight" tolerances add to production costs. Martins may seem all loosey goosey by comparison, but they may not decades later, and individual parts can be mixed and matched for functional fit. In the case of shims, these were provided on some Martin reels right from the factory. Here's an MG-3 with one. Also shown from another reel is a shim removed to show separately. Image

Post 04 Nov 2022, 11:22 • #13 
Sport
Point well taken and definitely correct To much shimming to reduce the in and out movement of the spool can cause excessive wear to the retaining groove. These reels were not made to get us to the moon and back. That being said....... I never cared for the way the reel had , what seemed to me, to much slop in a counter clockwise and clock wise position, between the gear teeth. So of course I had to make new pawls that reduced that problem. I know I'm just over tinkering. But I'm very happy with it and after a season of fishing I'm happy with the reel. I'll shut up now.

Newmin

Post 04 Nov 2022, 16:22 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
A relatively coarse click is the old-school way of providing the much-touted "low start-up inertia," that still is less than ideal in disc drag reels that use any kind of spring-loaded brake to apply continuous pressure. Minimal, very low start-up is inherent in a pawl-gear (click-pawl) design. At rest, the spool is, essentially "free" spinning for that slack point in the pawl-gear engagement. Thus, the spool goes from minimal to gradually building resistance as the pawl rocks on the gear and peaks before it slips to the next tooth, meeting it higher on the tooth than at start-up, so resistance is slightly greater. This continues for the first few engagements, then stabilizes with steady spin--unless the run is so fast that the gear floats the pawl. Now the spool has built momentum and stops gradually--a click or two--if the fish stops, easing the suddeness of sulk-bolt and run-stop-run. A "low inertia" position is inherent in each change of speed. The resilience of 'glass makes it an ideal combination with the simple, reliable, click-pawl mechanism. Definitely, the sharpness/thickness of the pawl affects start up feel and can be fun to tinker with. The gear, of course, is a fixed component but different brands/models of click pawls are fitted with gears from very fine-toothed to quite coarse. The width of the teeth and pawl is yet another factor.

New Topic Add Reply