It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Aug 2022, 11:50 • #1 
Guide
I've had a problem with two Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 reels where the finish is rubbing off. It was the consistency of thick black shoe polish and came off just about as easily. I suspect this was a defect in the original finish revealing itself over time.

I removed the finish down to bare metal on one reel and it looks pretty good in bare metal. I used a combination of rubbing alcohol and Gun Scrubber (basically brake cleaner) but it was quite a chore. Can anyone recommend something else that might do the job better?

I did see jgestar's post on 03/19/2011 "Advice about cleaning an unused Valentine # 76 spool" listing a number of cleaning solvents and thought Citrus Strip might be the way to go?

Post 11 Aug 2022, 23:46 • #2 
Administrator
You can try it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Citrus Strip also damaged the aluminum. Test anything you use on aluminum foil first. If the foil is damaged, the aluminum reel will be damaged.

Did you buy the Medalists new? Or used?

Tom

Post 12 Aug 2022, 00:07 • #3 
Guide
Tom, it was bought used. It’s hard to tell in photos if the paint has this defect. I discover it when wiping down the reel and notice the finish is coming off.

Post 12 Aug 2022, 01:01 • #4 
Administrator
I suspect the seller gave it a coat of latex paint before sale. Try soaking in some denatured alcohol to see if the soft paint comes off, leaving that weathered look Medalists are known for. Many leave the reel with the chipped up old paint. But it's your reel to do with as you please.

Tom

Post 12 Aug 2022, 07:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Just a shot in the dark but I used to be. Still kind of am into prewar trains.The guys on those forums used oven cleaner to strip the old paint off the old metal cars and locos.Having used acid as a cleaner in my trade it is hell on aluminum and stainless Even the fumes will do damage.The medalists I have seen stripped bare and buffed out are very cool looking

Post 12 Aug 2022, 10:30 • #6 
Administrator
Oven cleaner contains the, which eats aluminum faster than acid. With aluminum it is easy to damage the metal.

Tom

Post 12 Aug 2022, 11:09 • #7 
Guide
jgestar wrote:
I suspect the seller gave it a coat of latex paint before sale
Perhaps, but my untrained eye suspects this is the factory finish, the detailing against the bare metal edges of the spool and the fading of the finish inside the back plate appear to be factory and not a touch up paint job, but I could be wrong.

FWIW, the brake cleaner/gun scrubber did work without attacking the aluminum, however, it evaporates so quickly (as it's designed to do), you end up using a ton of it, and it's expensive, and it takes a lot of elbow grease.

the hersh wrote:
The medalists I have seen stripped bare and buffed out are very cool looking
I agree! I've only done one like this but it does look cool.

New Topic Add Reply