It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:59

New Topic Add Reply
Unique reel find today
Post 09 Aug 2022, 21:19 • #1 
Sport
It's my day off so occasionally I hit the vintage and antique stores to see what I can find.
Today was a good day! Left; Johnson model 20 spinning, Center; Carlton "Trout"
automatic fly ( Ive never seen this one before ), Right; Good All I think its a spinning reel
but not sure. I'll have to do some research on this one. All are in good working order and
condition. I payed $10 a piece. Not bad.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 22:40 • #2 
Guide
Nice score! Hope you find some nice rods to put them on.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 21:41 • #3 
Sport
I did a little more junk'n today and found a Good All fly reel in good shape and working.
Kind of an odd duck, but I like it. 2 Good All's in 2 days. Before yesterday I had never
seen one before.

Post 11 Aug 2022, 06:23 • #4 
Piscator
The Good All and Johnson 20 are Colorado reels, made to steelhead (trot) with mono, usually a quill float, and a fly rod.
Humphrey's and Fre-Line are other Colorado reels if you want to round out a collection.

Hugely desirable, much advanced for the technique using fly line, and made in your area - keep your eyes peeled for a Rogue
https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtop ... ue#p102376
If you decide you don't want it, there's a good market, which includes me.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 01:51 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Bulldog,
I will keep the look out QQ. Ill add those to my radar list. I think Im going to do some digging and see what I can find on Colorado reels. I think it would be interesting reading
if I can find anything.

And here's 2 new reels HeHe
Left; Fre-Line by Wright & McGill but looks like it was made by Good All. Has a unique brake lever, Im assuming.
Right; Johnson 80, seems heavy duty. needs good cleaning but in very good condition. I gave 8 bucks for the Fre-Line, and 35 for the
Johnson.

Post 23 Aug 2022, 08:20 • #6 
Guide
Old fre-line in action

I use mine for tight line nymphing

Post 23 Aug 2022, 10:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Nice pic Swamp.I have seen those reels many times but never really understood their application.I see them at the flea market all the time.So you just use mono for the whole rig?I think i am getting it but not sure.Seems it would make bottom bouncing a warm water creek a lot more simple.If you have time to explain it to me a little i would appreciate it.I think i have been "trotting" most of my life without knowing what it is called.We just called it drifting but controlled drifting by reading the water.One of the best methods for taking catfish my best fishing buddy taught me,floating hamburger.A dough bait treble with high fat raw hamburger below a float and gently cast upstream and a controlled drift into the right holds.Have caught catfish up to 15lbs this way and 100s over the years.Used to float minnows for rock bass and smallies on my cousins farm .He had a creek with the first half mile from the main river.My great gramps started taking me when i was 5.

Post 23 Aug 2022, 13:13 • #8 
Guide
Hey hersh,
Yes sir,the reel is filled with mono,I use four lb. stren,and a weighted nymph .None of that pesky fly line to cope with.
The reel is basically a spin cast reel.
Is it flyfishing?,no it is not flyfishing it is fishing with a fly rod.
Today that style of fishing has morphed into a fly rod and a fly reel with a very long leader attached to a fly line.
Some use 20,30 feet of leader,some flyfishing only streams have restrictions on leader length, but those are usually 18 ft or
more.
give it some stupid (in my humble opinion)name and claim to be flyfishing. The nymph are sometimes tied on jig hooks.
Sorry hersh,I got off on a rant.
But yes sir it's a deadly way to fish for trout or any creek or river
fish.

Post 23 Aug 2022, 13:31 • #9 
Sport
Thats interesting. Nice Pic as well. So, if I was going to google search for more information on this " fly rod fishing " using a colorado style reel and mono, what would my search definitions be?
I was in Peachtree City Feb and March of this year attending class.

Post 23 Aug 2022, 14:40 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks everyone I am not a purist in any way.But I love tying flies and using vintage gear.I never really knew how those reels were used.I know someone who has a couple who owes me for some stuff I gave him for future trade Think this might be fun .

Post 23 Aug 2022, 15:40 • #11 
Guide
Sorry crusty
I don't have a good answer for your question.
also sorry for delayed response.
My internet connection is popping on and off

Post 23 Aug 2022, 16:26 • #12 
Sport
Thanks Swamp,
Ill just have to noodle around and see what I can dig up.
Hersh, I know what you mean about vintage. I love vintage almost everything. If its dilapidated or broken its still more worthwhile buying and refurbishing or repairing verses buying the majority of crap thats manufactured today in China.

Canton

Post 24 Aug 2022, 19:06 • #13 
Guide
Hey crusty, here's an old add for your fre-line reel.
Another fish pic from drivers side of reel.
Current trout fishing terminology calls this style of tightline fishing,euro nymphing,or something like that.
But this is a cool old add for fre-line

Post 24 Aug 2022, 20:19 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Cool Swamp,i have a 1955 fishing guide that gas pics/drawings of these type reels.I do not have a scanner,just a crap phone camera or i would share.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 21:56 • #15 
Guide
Hang on to it hersh
they're hard to find.
I really enjoy finding old vintage tackle and bringing it back to life.i get some strange looks on the creeks sometimes.

Post 25 Aug 2022, 01:02 • #16 
Sport
Thanks Swamp,
Thats a beautiful old add, and a beautiful stream side shot too! Im not sure what model mine is, it has the drag arm. Other than that their identical. Im going to have to read Bulldogs post on reel cleaning to see how much I dont know.

Canton

Post 26 Aug 2022, 14:40 • #17 
Master Guide
swamp---I have a Fre-Line by Wright & McGill that also has a lever (brake maybe)-----any idea on how the lever works---also in the ad it says it is adjustable to left or right retrieve, but the reel only takes line in in one direction or am I missing something? I would really like to get this reel on a rod and fish it. Another question, how well does the line feed out? It just dawned on me the lever is to slow down the line being taken by a fish so that you don't have to try and grab the handles. Any more info would be great.

Post 27 Aug 2022, 19:16 • #18 
Guide
https://www.fishingtalks.com/fre-line-1 ... -3560.html

Hey midmofly, here's a link that will tell you everything about your reel,including how to change retrieve.
I changed mine to left hand wind .Just flip part no7 over and reassemble.
I wish my reel had the drag lever.

Post 27 Aug 2022, 21:31 • #19 
Sport
Thanks for the link.

Post 28 Aug 2022, 07:53 • #20 
Master Guide
swamp---on my model # 16 the winder converter is only set to go one way---it might have something to do with the "brake". Thanks for the reply and link.
midmofly

Post 30 Aug 2022, 01:39 • #21 
Sport
I got lucky. Ive been hoping to find one of these in near mint condition and I did, for a song. However, When it retreives it has a lobey action when the arbor spins. Maybe it just needs clean and lube, I hope?
Bronson Royal-matic 390

Post 07 Nov 2022, 10:48 • #22 
Sport
I have two of those Wright & McGill Fre-Line reels. I bought them new back in the late 70s. One has a couple of battle scars (the one I used the most), and the other is like new. I still use one occasionally when I get the urge to toss a #0, or#1 Mepps.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 00:32 • #23 
Sport
I have a Wight & McGill 7’ Haywood Zephyr bamboo rod that I believe was made to use with the Fre-line reel. Now I will have to find one. Would this be the same style of fishing as what some call a “mono rig”??

Mike

Post 11 Nov 2022, 11:47 • #24 
Master Guide
Sick reels !!

New Topic Add Reply