It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:31

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Aug 2022, 10:53 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Also the post war era brought lower cost fishing gear to the masses I responded the way I did as the reels evolved Just the difference in medalists from prewar to post.Was just skimming thru 1955 Fishing Digest edited by Charles Jacobs.It was compliments of Dave Cook sporting goods.Has a great list of fly spinning and casting reels as well as beginner info like the fly fishing mags put out now.My point was the reels from the 30s for sure are useful but from a different era.The same manufacturers updated their reels for good or bad is up for debate.But from a time when glass rods did not exist.Glass and cane rods are still made so a modern reel is fine for both.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 22:34 • #27 
Sport
Hi All,
Thank you for all the replies. I have enjoyed reading them. Although not everyone agrees with a quieter fly reel, Im glad to know Im not alone.
To each his own. I have taken notes from all your replies and have a look out list. I did knock one off the list recently. I ordered a minty Bronson
Royalist 370 from Ebay. I like it a lot. I think Im going to get another to keep it company. :)

Canton

Post 14 Sep 2022, 10:22 • #28 
Sport
Ocean City made a silent check reel. I have one of those. Others apparently did as well.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39365

Post 16 Sep 2022, 15:52 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
It’s not noise, it’s music! I once had an Old Florida reel that was silent. I eventually sold it, because I always felt like it was broken.

Post 16 Sep 2022, 19:09 • #30 
Piscator
thank you

Post 16 Sep 2022, 20:37 • #31 
Master Guide
I tend to prefer quieter reels. One thing I have noticed is that the tone of the reel can be a problem more than the high volume. A tinny sound is worse to me than a strong loud sound. Sometimes the tinny sound can be fixed by insulating or grease. One of my favorite sounding reels is one that didn't have a pawl so I made one out of teflon. Sounds sweet. So each to his own.

Post 17 Sep 2022, 12:38 • #32 
Sport
I personally like click pawl reels the best. My favorite and go-to is a 1492. Close behind is a 2094 Gem. I also have a 1394 and 1494 with click pawl. Again for me, the click pawls are best because I usually catch 15” trout at the best, and a lot of the times smaller :), so a drag reel seems over-engineered - though my 1494s and 1495 drag reels do sound sweet. Still, I prefer the sound of a click pawl. When you here a fish take off on one of those, you know the fight is on!

Post 18 Oct 2022, 05:55 • #33 
Master Guide
I’m all about the noise, really completes my fishing experience. MG10s and MG3s make such a cool sound and always get the bait casting fishermen looking over at the old coot with the fly rod wondering what the h@LL is he doing over there. Ryobi 355 and 255 Magnesium reels are not as loud as the Martin MGs but have a really cool sound also. I usually don’t catch a ton of fish so when I do get one to take pity on me I love to hear that reel sing.

Post 05 Jan 2023, 09:55 • #34 
I'm more like you: if I'm approaching a trout I prefer do it in the more silent way as possible.
I have an Hardy Flyweight who is pretty noisy under this point of view and an old italian fisher (and a great fly maker) substituted my pawl with a new one made by him in nylon. It's pretty easy make one cutting a piece of nylon from a nylon (or teflon) sheet thick like your pawl. The result is good: it makes his job and it's a lot less noisy.
I published years ago the pictures in ultralightflyfishing forum: if you make a search I think you can find them, I use the same user id zigo. But if not and you want them send me a PM.
Roberto

p.s. take a look now: ultralightflyfishing forum - the frugal fly fisherman - Less noising click pawl reel, the last message.

Post 04 May 2023, 09:22 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Abel made some excellent sounding clickers.
A different tone.

Post 04 May 2023, 13:11 • #36 
Guide
Heddon Imperial

Post 04 May 2023, 15:49 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
the Heddon Imperial made me think of the Shakespeare Russel 1895, which has a unique system that allows for easy adjustments to the spring tension on the pawl - so you can tune it to the sound/resistance you prefer.

Some pics of the insides here,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63665

I have one and like it a lot.
Some pics at the bottom of this post,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61688&p=339067&hilit=russell#p339067

Post 05 May 2023, 10:58 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
I've never though much about clicks until I was presented with options or fished with vintage tackle.

I realize I'm not talking about click & pawl reels here but as an example, the first new reel I bought after decades of using nothing but old Hardy's was an Abel Super 4 purchased around 20 years ago. When I bought it you had the option of silent or "click out."

It's funny but I never gave "silence" a thought... ;)

I also own a couple of vintage spinning reels, (408, 300. Mitchell Half Bail, Orvis 50A) that I started using again regularly. All of these reels click on retrieve. The 408 was my first reel and when I started using it again about 10 years ago, I forgot about that click and it brought a huge smile to my face.

If I could find a modern spinning reel that clicked I might be tempted...

My new BFS reel has a click out drag. I LOVE that click compared to my other casting reels without.

Post 05 May 2023, 19:27 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I always liked my Hardy Marquis, but really loved how it annoyed my best fishing buddy. He was a little competitive and the reel screaming could mean I had a fish on. I could give him whiplash by the end of a fishing trip just by occasionally pulling out a bunch of line.

I just picked up a Scientific Anglers System TWO 56LC clicker. Most definitely don't pick this reel up if you don't like noise.

Post 22 Jun 2023, 17:07 • #40 
Guide
Did anyone mention the Hardy Silent Check reels?

I used to have one. Maybe I still do, tucked away in a back corner of the reel cabinet.

Post 22 Jun 2023, 17:51 • #41 
Guide
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I just picked up a Scientific Anglers System TWO 56LC clicker. Most definitely don't pick this reel up if you don't like noise.

So the “LC” in 56-LC stands for Loud Clicker? :lol

Post 24 Jun 2023, 03:03 • #42 
Sport
Nothing like a loud reel to scare away the bears. Not joking actually. I also use a lanyard and make sure my hemostat and nippers jingle when I walk. As long as the brown bears here hear you, they stay away.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply