It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:54

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Aug 2022, 17:06 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,
Im new to fly fishing. I have done a fairly decent job of putting together quite a few rods a reels.
The One take away I havnt figured out yet is; why would someone design a click pawl fly reel that
makes so much noise. I dont know about anyone else, but when Im out enjoying the day fishing,
and soaking in nature in a peaceful location the last thing I want is to taint the tranquility of the
moment when I start winding my fly line in. Actually this wouldnt happen to me because I refuse
to use a fly reel that makes that much noise, and there are a lot of them. Besides being loud
enough to travel a considerable distance through the air, I would also imagine that the vibration
and sound to a lesser degree would transfer to the water as well. Its obvious why people put
headers on their cars and trucks. Its not so clear why so many [ not all ] engineers designed
click pawl fly reels that made so much noise.
The fly reels that I have found to have a pleasant mechanical operation and noise level are;
Pflueger Medalist's, Olympic 440 / 460, and the Daiwa 233. I also have a Martin 67 SS that is
borderline. What was really disappointing was my purchase of my 2 Daiwa SF-708's. Beautifully
engineered and esthetic, accept they make so much noise [with drag turned all the way down]
unless there is a work around fix to reduce their noise Im going to get rid of them. Has anybody
else asked this question. And, what are other click pawl fly reels that operate with less noise.

Thanks,

Canton

Post 07 Aug 2022, 18:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I dont have one anymore but personally I just love the scream of a Hardy,especially the Flyweight I used to have. ;)

Post 07 Aug 2022, 18:23 • #3 
Master Guide
Try to find an Orvis Battenkill, either the Battenkill Mark series made by Hardy or the BFR made Battenkill that came next.
The Battenkill 5/6 is the sweetest click pawl reel I’ve ever fished.
Be aware that these are both very lightweight reels so not for long heavy rods.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 18:53 • #4 
Guide
I agree with you, I prefer a more sedate clicker sound. I have a Martin 63SS that makes a ruckus when reeling in line.

Redington Drift (discontinued) is rather pleasant but the new Redington Zeros are very loud, so it’s hit or miss even within the same brand.

There must be an easy way to mute the click, maybe a strip of duct tape on the pawl? I haven’t been motivated enough to experiment,

Post 07 Aug 2022, 20:24 • #5 
Administrator
Find a Johnson Magnetic. Dead silent in both pay and wind. 60s style. What's not to love?

Tom

Post 07 Aug 2022, 20:43 • #6 
Guide
Some of the clickers allow you to disengage. But then it is a free spool. Susceptible to bird’s nests when pulling line off the reel. On old bait casters, the clicker was only used to signal a bite. Never to cast. Before dependable drag systems which do not need a clicker because they maintain tension, the clicker was the most cost effective method to prevent backlash and easily make the reel ambidextrous. I bet you could finagle a way to quiet one down. Using a Dremel tool to grind it down or soften the point. With some Googling and a little practice, you could probably anneal the spring and then retemper it. Probably do it with map gas or similar torch. Or completely disable by removing it and finger (or palm) the spool when you pull out line. I have old bait casters from the 1910’s with no drag or clicker. Free spool only with either the handle engaged or not. Would rather have the annoying clicker because unless you are constantly vigilant, you spend more time untangling overruns than fishing.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 21:00 • #7 
Guide
The Bronson Royalist 370 is as vintage as they come. Now the clicker really doesn’t do much, but they are mellow, low decibel click pawl reels. And they are affordable and come in a variety of cool colors.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 10:49 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The best way to quiet down a dual pawl reel is to use it! As has been pointed out, you can take the tips of the pawls down with a grinder (not something I do).
The pawls on the Daiwa 233, 232 are delrin or similar, that quietens things down.

As Stonefly said, there is nothing like the sound of a fish pulling line off a Hardy or similar dual pawl. Best of Luck!

Post 08 Aug 2022, 13:59 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The Hardy clones are quite noisy til they break in then they have a more gentle purr.Some reels only make noise going out but are silent retrieve.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 17:58 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The noise is an integral part of this simple, elegant system, both mechanically and ergonomically. Reports line out, sometimes before it is even felt. Same for the speed and energy of a run--or a slowdown and stop. Same for degree of resistance, both in the setting and by varied rod angle--faster to hear than to feel--as the sound changes slightly with any decrease or increase in pressure imparted by the rod angle, an adjustment, palming or feathering the spool and so on.

Never judge the sound by stripping line in the living room. Take the reel where it is meant to be, outdoors, where wind and current noise are competing sounds.

Keep the reel clean and lubricated, and the pawl and teeth will develop smooth, hard bearing surfaces. And it will sound even better.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 20:23 • #11 
Guide
Crustyrusty wrote:
Hi all,
I would also imagine that the vibration
and sound to a lesser degree would transfer to the water as well.

Not true. You can fire a shotgun next to a stream and the fish won't react at all. (Ronalds did the experiment back in the 1830's.)

I just can understand why anyone would want a reel that makes less sound rather than more.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 23:26 • #12 
Master Guide
I have the 706 version that was in unused condition when I acquired it.

It was tinny sounding, louder than I liked and had a too stiff payout for the light tippets I planned using with it. I gently squeezed the drag spring which lightened the payout and quieted things down a little. Grease on the gear as well as filling the spool seemed to help a little as well. Great real for the money, worth breaking in IMO.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 04:08 • #13 
Master Guide
TytLynz2U2 wrote:
The Bronson Royalist 370 is as vintage as they come. Now the clicker really doesn’t do much, but they are mellow, low decibel click pawl reels. And they are affordable and come in a variety of cool colors.

I've heard this many times, but my Royalists have had adequately strong drags that are significantly altered with the adjustment cam. I sure do like the soft purr of the intake drag!

Post 10 Aug 2022, 13:06 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
crustyrusty,

I have this same discussion with my Hardy loving fishing buddies. I like quiet. The reels that I have come to use most are:

Ross RR (same drag in and out, and quiet)
Marryat (you can completely remove the clicker)
Ari't Hart F series (not silent, but quiet and distinctive)
Abel big game (some have the option to be quiet on pay out)

and two others that I use just because they are indestructable.
Pflueger Medalist and Ross Gunnison
neither are particularly quiet, but they take a beating.

To be honest, the noise no longer really bothers me on the stream, but let the people who like noisy reels pay the Hardy premium.

Post 12 Aug 2022, 18:26 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis CFO has a well-bred little purr.. also the Orvis Battenkill Mark series with Roman numerals, III, IV, V. Those are Hardy-made but still quiet.
All my Martins with the coil spring click/pawl are acceptably quiet.
Abu Diplomat series aren't strictly click/pawl, but have a silent retrieve and a small click on outgoing which I like.

Like you I stopped using my Daiwa SF706 because it is SO VERY LOUD..
The Hardy Viscount is noisy too. I brought mine back into service as a euronymphing reel when my son wanted to try that, as the reel isn't used much.

Post 13 Aug 2022, 10:48 • #16 
Sport
I know its not vintage yet but older click and pawl reels from Ross Reels, the Colorado series in 0, 1, 2, and 3 if you can find any are very quiet reels. Also J W Young are quiet reels.
Fred

Post 13 Aug 2022, 13:57 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis CFO
Cortland C.R.I.
Bronson 370

Post 13 Aug 2022, 19:04 • #18 
Sport
The Medalist, and Olympic reels are disc drag, not Spring and Pawl.
I've had trout rip line off of my Hardy Marquis #6, and my buddy never hears it, but he can hear me when I ask what fly does he have on.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 08:39 • #19 
Guide
Mike1227 wrote:
The Medalist, and Olympic reels are disc drag, not Spring and Pawl.
I've had trout rip line off of my Hardy Marquis #6, and my buddy never hears it, but he can hear me when I ask what fly does he have on.

Actually, all Medalists were click and pawl until 1936/1937.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 11:17 • #20 
Piscator
I haven't met too many reels that you couldn't smooth out with pawl spring tuning.
When you have a frame that resonates, not much you can do about that, and when this Hydra goes off, it spins heads a quarter-mile upriver.
Like the Exorcist.
Image Image

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:01 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
No offense to anyone and I love the history of things,BUT glass rods are postwar and these reels from the prewar era were made for different rods and lines.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:17 • #22 
Piscator
harrumph

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:18 • #23 
Sport
Yes, I know this.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:45 • #24 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
harrumph

+1

Post 15 Aug 2022, 07:38 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Click-pawl reels of various makes and designs persisted well into the fiberglass era, and not out of nostalgia for the olden days. That is largely because, as with bamboo, the rod angle and responsive flex is part of the system. They suited early graphite rods as well (and are still quite efficient on many graphite rods). Realize that click-pawl reels have inherent "low-start up inertia." That techno mantra became popular later because a stiff graphite rod at the wrong angle at the wrong moment might not respond (nor the angler) to a fish surging, so the disc-drag reel better respond while the angler relied on it by pointing the rod at the fish. Click pawl reels start quickly because the pawl sits in its low-resistance resting spot between two teeth. In that small spot, there is only the inertia of rest of a light-weight spool to overcome. Resistance builds as the pawl encounters the first tooth and climbs it, more steady resistance being imparted as the spool spins. They are an ideal match to the flex characteristics of fiberglass.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply