It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:44

New Topic Add Reply
Pflueger 1774
Post 06 Aug 2022, 20:37 • #1 
Guide
Picked one up very cheap. $10. In a vintage store in Meredith NH. Not much info on these. But a nice lightweight clicker. Must of made a lot of them but seem to sell for a bit more on auctions. Found some nice aluminum leader boxes in another store in Lincoln NH. ( actually should be called tippet dispensers in modern vernacular) but one had three spools, Ideal for 4/5/6x tippet and the other had a hinge cover with drying pads. Stocked with old DuPont nylon which is probably way past prime. Will need to test when I get home. But surprisingly very little in the way of trout rods. Lots of stout saltwater rods. Very unusual for the mountains. But was surprised to see three vintage Fenwicks at North County Anglers in North Conway. No affiliation. He says old timers grab them quickly. A custom wrapped blank, something I forgot and a nice FF807. For a very fair price. Also had a nice collection of Medalists but they were his personal reels and for display only. At the place in Lincoln he also had a Cabela’s bag with three rods and reels. He thought his Shakespeare bait casting reels were valuable. But in the bag was a nice Orvis II. Asked him what he paid for the lot. Said $50. Honestly told him the Orvis was worth what he paid. Sell the rest for what he can get. But I had no interest in 7-8 wt HMG rods. Figured since he sold the tippet dispensers so cheap, I would not take advantage of his ignorance. Karma is a weird thing.

Re: Pflueger 1774
Post 07 Aug 2022, 07:54 • #2 
Master Guide
You made some good finds. The Pflueger 1774 is a basic small reel---the clicker is a little loud for me, but I do not have line on the reel so it might be quieter with line. Should work well with a 4 wt. line. Others (Bulldog) on here will have more info.
Enjoy your finds.
midmofly

Post 07 Aug 2022, 09:38 • #3 
Piscator
Can't really say more without photos - means something.
1774 was used on two different Progress, prewar skeleton reel (one of the best) and postwar perforated spool flange.
The latter matched the Pflueger Trump, but was made in brass, while the Trump was steel.
Both versions have good spool bushings.

Of course I tune all my springs, so all are smooth.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 20:28 • #4 
Guide
Post war. Will send photos when I figure out how. Still on vacation and will probably need to do it on my laptop. This is definitely brass with some type of gun metal finish. Not the skeleton version. Blank spot in spool perforation but no evidence of a counterweight every being attached. But odd smaller holes on the inside of spool like it was designed to be assembled with counterweight if desired. Rivets are tight. Will need to soak in Corrosion-X when I get home because the spool is solidly affixed to the spindle after removing screw. But otherwise nice.

New Topic Add Reply