It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Jul 2022, 19:07 • #1 
Guide
All arrived today in time for my vacation. Also got an LM45 yesterday that was slightly nicked. A little paint from a paint pen makes it look mint from 3 ft away and with my eyes, that’s good enough. The 67SS will probably get an intermediate line and be used with the heavier rods. The other three came as a package deal, new in their boxes. Combined with my MG-3, even if I do not catch fish, I will have fun playing with them. I am becoming a major convert to vintage working man’s fly fishing. Not because, I can’t afford the expensive stuff, but because this stuff has much more character, better esthetics and performance than the newer stuff. Probably why I also used to build custom motorcycles using only vintage machines.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 07:20 • #2 
Piscator
Congratulations on finding the poor man's CFO.

When ebay was young, fly shops figured out they could clean out their idle OS inventory, and we were buying new boxed reels for $50.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 21:25 • #3 
Guide
I am really enjoying this reel. Quite honestly, including a small 18” schoolie Striped Bass ( my first) I caught on my 7wt Redington Field Kit combo designed for freshwater bass fishing, I have never actually ever had a fish on the reel. And have caught over 140 trout this year. Large rainbows, medium sized browns and brookies. Always had stripped them in by hand. So not sure about what the fuss is about with drags. Maybe when I hook into something big …. Crossed fingers.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 06:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Best idea is to learn to get a fish on the reel as second nature. Trying to the first time it's necessary may not work out, although it's still fun. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50599&p=220315&hilit=held+the+rod#p220315

Post 08 Aug 2022, 09:25 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Another reason I prefer or rather only fish LHW. I can reel up the slack while keeping enough tension with my rod hand.I like vintage reels but the big arbors are nice at times.

Post 11 Aug 2022, 19:05 • #6 
Guide
I am fortunate enough to be left handed. The old RHW only reels are ideal for me. But I have had to convert a few of my newer reels.
But I am well experienced with catching a fish on a reel and using a drag. All my spinning and ice reels have them. And about half of my bait casters also. The other half are knuckle busters. And all my modern Lamsons. Just saying that I haven’t had to do it yet. Most of my fishing is either Stillwater or small mountain streams. After burning my finger just fast stripping a thin intermediate, I usually wear a felt finger guard. It acts a a smooth brake and I use the other hand to keep additional tension on the line. I usually have a few rod lengths of line at my feet and that has always been enough to turn any fish so far. But I always keep my drags set light and if I ever do run out of free line, I will just switch hands to fine tune the drag. That’s the only inconvenient thing I find with most fly reels. The drag knob is usually inconvenient to adjust on the fly. Spinning reels (fixed spool) with the knob on the spool can also give you a nasty line burn if your not careful. That’s why the better ones are on the back. Even better are the old Shakespeare with the pre set knob and the little range lever. Once preset, you can never over tighten and lose your fish. Old bait casters were only as good as the leather on the thumb of your glove and your ability to withstand heat. Lol. From a design and ergonomic viewpoint, I think the current bait casting setup with the star drag on the crank is ideal if you really want to put a fish on the reel. But it is not why I started fly fishing. And recently converted to fiberglass. For me, hydroplaning a bass across lily pads with a 10:1 ratio is something I have done and no longer has its appeal.

New Topic Add Reply