It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:48

New Topic Add Reply
Spare Spools...
Post 14 Jul 2022, 12:39 • #1 
Guide
Just curious, how you use your extra spools. Different lines for same rod, or for multiple rods as opposed to having a reel per rod?

Recently got a new rod, and using a spare spool. I keep trying to convince myself I need a new reel for a new rod, however my better judgement has been winning so far as the reel also works well the new rod - LOL

Re: Spare Spools...
Post 14 Jul 2022, 13:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I love spare spools. Well, it's not a spare as in 'if one spool is broken' but I have several spools for all of my reels to use with different rods with different line weights as well as different types of lines.

For instance one of my favourite reels is the Orvis CFO III. I use it for #3-5 rods. When I go fishing I take several rods that goes with the CFO III. I have spools filled with any of these line weights in both DT and/or WF. Sometimes plastic and silk line. When I'm done fishing, I clean all the lines I fished, lubricate them and put hem back on the plastic containers (and box) they came with to keep them in the best possible condition for next trips.

I also have a few spools filled with old lines I use for lawn casting

Post 14 Jul 2022, 19:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
For me, it’s pretty much as ibookje said. I’m also a fan of the CFO III, and have several spools with 4 and 5 weight lines in both DT and WF. At one time I even had a DT6 on it, before moving that line up to a CFO IV.

My other passion is Medalists. I’ve got several 1494s and 1495s and a bunch of spare spoils for these with different lines.

Post 14 Jul 2022, 19:33 • #4 
Guide
Well thanks for the replies. I feel better about my choice to use the extra spool for the new rod.

Post 15 Jul 2022, 07:06 • #5 
Piscator
Every time I go out in freshwater, I need 2 loaded spools, which may be two reels - a floater and a Teeny line.
Every time I go out in the salt, I need 3 - floater, Teeny, and an intermediate slime line.

I have many more rods than spools, and fewer lines.
I'm moving lines around all the time using a line winder, and loop-to-loop the backing for quick change.

Image Image

Post 15 Jul 2022, 07:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48482&hilit=a+drawer+full+of+Hardy

Post 15 Jul 2022, 07:54 • #7 
Master Guide
I used to have the same approach as Ron, having a spare spool for each freshwater reel so I could carry two different lines and two spare spools for saltwater reels so I could have three lines at hand.

It seems that when I look things over these days, I have ended up with at least two spare spools for most all of my reels, fresh or salty. I like having the option of a floater, intermediate and full sinker --and maybe even a sink tip! As far as actually needing all those lines or frequently using them, well, I guess old age gives me more GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Post 15 Jul 2022, 09:19 • #8 
Piscator
Hey Bob. Whrlpool's post link covered the material pretty well.

Since salt came up, I only use a floating line in the skinny grass, where I want to drop a fly straight down.

Slime line casts better and fishes everything knee to waist deep.

So much structure on the TX coast are tide passes, and you time trips to hit them when the tide current is flowing like a river (may only get a half-hour there).
Only the TS-250 will get the fly down where you need - it's also a boon for fishing channel slopes.

So a well-planned day around the tides will use all 3 lines.

Not trying to derail the forum focus, but you can economize to a salt BFS rod and 3 lure boxes.

Likewise, a hill country day can range from sliders over the shelf to bottom bouncing the tannin bottom (and not just for bass).

Post 15 Jul 2022, 10:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Buy a spool for pennies - find the reel.

Repeat.

In your pursuit of all things fly reel - you will find spare spools of all kinds.

Discipline.

Post 17 Jul 2022, 05:18 • #10 
Piscator
The problem with topping the old thread, which whrlpool shared with us, the 8-y-o fishbase.org link is defunct.
Usually a better idea to post on the current discussion, where current members have made their contributions.

Post 17 Jul 2022, 09:59 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Brian Shaffer wrote:
Buy a spool for pennies - find the reel.

I bought a mint Sage 508 spool many years ago hoping to find a similar condition reel. Haven’t seen one that has a nice price tag

Post 17 Jul 2022, 10:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje - Fully understand what you mean... especially since I have the 508 reel you need
but most of the time I am in your shoes!

Kinda a great problem to have. Always being on the hunt for something.

Right meow in fact, I'm looking for mint SF706 spools.
And brand new System One 789 spools.

Post 17 Jul 2022, 15:34 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I was thinking the Sage 508 would work great on a #4 Trout spey, I also have a very nice 506L that balances great on a #2 trout spey. Irony is I still haven't tried my trout spey....

New Topic Add Reply