It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Jun 2022, 09:51 • #1 
I haven't fly fished in about 15 years. I pretty much taught myself from old Joe Brooks books with a Cabelas 3 forks fly rod and a vintage Medalist reel. I mostly fished in creeks and ponds for perch and bass even though I live 5 minutes from one of the best trout rivers in the country. I'm getting back into fly fishing and am going to target the trout more now. I broke my fly rod years ago and just started spin fishing more after that. Along the way, I've picked up some old used fly fishing equipment and that's how I ended up here. Some time in the last 15 years, I picked up a St. Croix double power fly fiberglass fly rod. Doesn't have any weight designations. I picked up another old Medalist reel and an Orvis Battenkill made in England. I just picked up a new Eagle Claw FL300, 8 ft 5 weight that has got me really wanting to start back fishing. I know it's a cheapo, but I really like it. Here is my question:

I'm really liking the Battenkill Fly reel and would like to know if it would pair up with the Eagle claw 5 wt? It is an old Orvis Battenkill Mark IV and most of the searches online say it is a 7 or 8 weight reel, however I have found some old literature online that says it is an "up to 7 weight line reel"? I'd like to add 5wt line to it and use it on my 8ft 5 wt Eagle claw. I don't think the reel weight would be an issue since it is magnesium, however, would I need to add more than 100 yards of backing with 5 weight line?
I have the rod and the reel, just haven't bought any backing and line for it yet? Thanks in advance.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 10:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
backing is cheap.. yes, would need quite a bit of backing for a 5wt line on that reel. I have a Mark III which holds a 6WF line comfortably with 80yds or so of backing. Buy a 250yd spool of Dacron backing and put on what it needs.. as you say the reel is light enough to use with a 5wt rod and line, and it's not very large so won't look odd.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 11:44 • #3 
Thanks!

Post 30 Jun 2022, 20:57 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Jec,
Great choice on fly rods, I love that Eagle Claw but use a 7WT line with it, AirFlo Bass line. That rod is not a 5wt, in fact I have even used a Scientific Anglers Mastery Bass Bug 8wt with it and the rod was not overloaded. I’ve got a Pflueger Automatic paired with it and it is a great bass rod in these Florida Swamps that costs under $100 total and is a hoot to fish.

Post 01 Jul 2022, 03:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, the eagle claws tend to be under rated - as in it's better to overline them. Battenkill is nice. It might be a little on the light side but that's never an issue as you always have the option to ballast it with a few turns of lead wire/ lead core.

Post 14 Jul 2022, 19:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I’m guessing you’ll be fine with a Mark IV in that rod. For the record, my old Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight outfit came with a Mark III. Since that 7’9” rod is probably quite a bit lighter than your 8’ glass rod, I’d guess the Mark IV would balance well with your rod.

Post 15 Jul 2022, 21:34 • #7 
Master Guide
Sounds like a fun set up !

Welcome!

Post 19 Jul 2022, 12:47 • #8 
Thanks!
Another quick question. I've noticed on the battenkill, the Spindle( think that is the proper term) is loose, and causes the spool so wobble some. Can this be tightened?

Post 20 Jul 2022, 08:05 • #9 
Piscator
Shame for such a great reel. I would contact Orvis and/or Bill Archuletta about possible repair.

Post 22 Jul 2022, 04:57 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Jec69 wrote:
...I'm really liking the Battenkill Fly reel...I don't think the reel weight would be an issue since it is magnesium, however, would I need to add more than 100 yards of backing with 5 weight line?

I have a couple of larger reels I use on long bamboo rods with real silk lines which are thinner than plastic lines of the same weight. As a result, they require much more backing to get the same reel "fill."

Since they are trout rods and I really don't need that much backing, I use 30lb Micron backing instead of the usual 20lb.

Just a thought...

Post 22 Jul 2022, 11:40 • #11 
Master Guide
Welcome to the Board and to fiberglass fly fishing. I have that same rod and think it does nicely with a 7wt line, although a 6wt DT line would do too. It is a heavier rod, so a larger, heavier reel would balance it. I have bought some 30lb backing for just the situation you describe. Typically, I would use 30lb on 7/8 wt and above, but to fill up a reel and take up space it works fine. I have not gotten into the backing in freshwater.

The 6'6" model of that Eagle Claw Featherlight is a fun inexpensive rod too if you want to get a 4 or 5wt outfit, but it is a short rod probably best suited for smaller water. What size Medalist do you have? I picked up the 7' recently and it was labeled a 4wt, but it is definitely a 5DT or even a 6wt rod. The medalist if it is a 1494 would be light on the rod, but it would be doable, but might seem a bit tip-heavy on the hand (it does to me). I have a 1495 that I use with the 8' EC rod.

That St. Croix may work well with a 6wt line - you may want to give that a try too - I have a couple of new to me Cortland Pro-Crests that some surmise are built on St. Croix blanks and they typically fish better with a line on the lower end of their weight designation (i.e., 5/6 fishes well with a 5) and the FR2000 5/6 seems like it could fish a 4DT line very nicely.

Have fun!

New Topic Add Reply