It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jun 2022, 20:42 • #1 
Master Guide
I recently acquired one of these pretty little reels and I have not been able to find hardly any info on-line about how to convert them, nor have I been able to find any diagrams or pictures of the internals. I didn’t know what to expect until I opened her up. I reached out to Arch and he advised me to flip the spring and not to mess with the pawl. Appreciate his advise. So with that tidbit of knowledge I decided to take photos as I went.

I’m posting this here in the hopes that another fisherman with a tinkerer’s soul will one day find it useful.

* I was careful to use a gunsmithing screwdriver so as not to bugger the screws.

In summary, this is a neat little trout reel with a non-adjustable drag. It seems functional and solid and I’m planning to hang it off of a 7.5ft 4wt bamboo rod that I rehabilitated a while back. I believe this one is called the “trout” model. It’s approximately 2 5/8” in diameter.

1. To disassemble you must remove the 4 screws on the front plate and the 4 screws on the back plate. Be careful because the screws on the front plate have corresponding little washers which I didn’t realize until later.

2. Clean thoroughly as has been previously described by Bulldog1935 and others.
* See the sticky at the top of this page.

3. Remove the two screws that hold the spring in place and be careful because there are two tiny nuts that you don’t want to lose and there are also two tiny washers underneath the spring that need to be put back into place.
Flip the spring over and reassemble being careful to orient the washers and tiny nuts appropriately. I used some blue painters tape to hold the screws in place while assembling the washers, spring and nuts. Hand tighten.

4. Replace the back plate into the frame and align screw holes with screws.. Note the two sides of the frame are not the same depth. The back plate goes on the shallow side of the frame (see pics). Hand tighten screws to secure back plate to frame.

5. Turn attention to the spool and note the little tiny washers. They need to be placed in between the front plate and the spool and there is a tiny gap there that they fit into. Again, I used painters tape to hold the screws in place while placing all 4 washers on. Then align screws with screw holes in frame and hand tighten.

6. Over tightening seems to bind the spool and prevent it from turning well. This concerns me because I feel like the screws may have a tendency to work themselves loose over time. Losing a screw and it’s corresponding washer on a stream would not be pleasant. I think I’m going to go back and use some blue LockTite on the screws for extra insurance before I take it on a stream.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 05:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet reel and good job, but I suggest if you are considering using Loctite, go with Loctite 222MS AKA purple Loctite that is designed for small screws and fine threads.

Blue Loctite might be too strong and cause you to bugger up the screw heads on any subsequent disassembly.

The VC Series from Vibra-Tite is another good product because it stays flexible and can be applied on screws ahead of time. The only knock on Vibra-Tite is it is expensive.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 05:36 • #3 
Master Guide
Very Cool.
I am only familiar with blue and red.
I did not know there was a Purple.
I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 06:49 • #4 
Piscator
Glad that worked out for your Kelly.
Noteworthy, 3 mm handle knob screws come with blue loctite, and never too tough to remove.
3 mm metric is equivalent diameter to a #6 UNF

New Topic Add Reply