It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jun 2022, 05:38 • #1 
Guide
Hi Everyone, Would anyone know why the Hardy Duchess was dropped by Hardy? It’s not on the Hardy website and not available/out of stock at most retailers. I thought it was a winner. The commemorative lightweight series really appear overpriced. Any information is appreciated. Thank you :)

Post 27 Jun 2022, 07:57 • #2 
Piscator
The only good deals on Hardy were catching closeouts back when discount at HarrisSportsMail made it under Hardy radar.
Hardy threatened them with no supply, and they raised their prices.
Along the way, Korean-made Lighttweights and Cascapedia were a good buy, as well (though dim people complained - good news, CNC back in England, now they can triple the price)
There's not a St. George offered in any form right now.

Hardy will continue to rearrange their products to keep prices high.
I've never bought a $700 fly reel, though I sold a few by buying smart.

The odd thing, if you go back through history and use the What's it Worth Today currency calculator, traditional prices on new top-grade Hardy reels until the new millennium were $250 in today's money. (with the few economy targeted models thrown in)

If you want to find a Dutchess, best bet is start a WTB thread here and on former Clark's board.

fwiw, PureFishing is all but nonexistent in Japan now, Pflueger, Revo and Fenwick losing their reputations at home. They may be forced to push Hardy sales at some point.

Post 27 Jun 2022, 09:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
There seems to be a hugely expensive commemorative edition of the St. George (silver with red agate) for sale in UK at the moment.

Check out SportfishTackle in Sweden they still have smallest size of Duchess.

Hardy prices look pretty unsustainable at moment.

Post 27 Jun 2022, 11:52 • #4 
Guide
Thank you! The duchess was a great looking clicker and now is gone. I’m surprised they would develop a new classic trout reel and then just drop it. I agree that the Korean Hardy reels are great. Just because it doesn’t say, “Made in England” does not diminish that they were well made. Thanks again.

Last edited by toddemurph on 28 Jun 2022, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2022, 12:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
FWIW - The last appearance I could find of the Duchess (a sweet reel!!) on archives of the Hardy website is in 2019.

I am a big fan of Hardy reels as the first two reels I ever owned were Hardy or Hardy built.

Timing is everything and knowing nothing is forever, in recent times I was taking full advantage of Harris Sportsmail, Brexit and a strong exchange rate to buy more than a few Hardy reels on the cheap when I could.

I also was extremely lucky and snagged a few others of recent UK heritage (Lightweights, Perfects and a Cascapedia) on the super cheap from other dealers just before the move to Korea and after Hardy reestablished the UK built reels at those insane prices.

Throw in a reel on the way that I ordered more than a year ago at an old price knowing the price would only go up (it has, 16%) and I MAY have actually not lost any money on any reel I own if I sold it for what I paid which is well below the original or current MSRP.

Oh how I miss those old Harris prices because I wouldn't mind another Perfect but I just can't bring myself to pay full price...

Post 27 Jun 2022, 14:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Also found 3" reel at fishing megastore/ glasgow angling centre. Sale - oh oh - temptation!

Post 29 Jun 2022, 07:55 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
A generic answer: disruptions in supply chain, labor, distribution and markets have affected every sector in recent years. That includes both popular and lower volume products from virtually any manufacturer. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers have all had to choose. So the answer is probably somewhere in that realm. IDK, but someone at Hardy does. Even distributors and retail outlets may have incomplete or conflicting info. Have you inquired of them about availability and plans for the product?

Post 29 Jun 2022, 09:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Good to know. Sierra Trading Post was blowing them out earlier this spring, so I bought a 3" and 3.5". Nice looking reels. I emailed Hardy at the time to ask if spare spools were available, but received no response.

Post 03 Jul 2022, 09:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Sleeper reel of the decade

Having wrestled with many - these are about as good as they get.
The cap on the back can dent - be careful not to dent yours.

Post 03 Jul 2022, 09:59 • #10 
Guide
Brian, do you mean the cap in the center with the Hardy logo? Is it thin metal there?

Post 04 Jul 2022, 07:29 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Yep - the little metal disc there to cover spindle screw.
Only cosmetic - but a ding in the castle shows up all to well...

Another angle - the reels with a few scrapes are available for much less.

Post 04 Jul 2022, 09:02 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Brian:

Getting a response from Hardy UK is a challenge and Hardy USA isn't much better, but have you tried to get a replacement?

Post 07 Jul 2022, 17:57 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
No, I am not actively trying to replace it - the opposite in fact.

That reel is being beat to snot on the daily.
On a 8ft Shakespeare.

Luckily - I have another one (or three) for use at a later date.
These are good reels.
No - great reels.
Go find one.

Post 07 Jul 2022, 20:10 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I sure like my Hardy click pawls including the Duchess. My favorite might be the SAGE 500's though.

Post 07 Jul 2022, 20:51 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
That is quite a nice collection of reels! Especially digging the Uniqua, St. George lefty and Golden Lightweight!!!

I have the smallest Duchess model and it is a gem. Too bad it may be gone, but tough to run a company selling high-end niche fly fishing reels to so few customers worldwide. Hardy has very very rarely produced a dud.

Post 07 Jul 2022, 20:54 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve since sold the Perfect, Bougle, Uniqua, and the multipliers and have picked up a Sunbeam 5/6 and a Marquis LWT 6 which I really like. I am thinking of ditching the Sunbeam and the Golden Prince and getting a SA System 5 for the minty SA System 5 rod I have been keeping for my grand daughter when she gets a little older. All of them are great reels though.

I do like the partial cage of the Duchess but wonder why Hardy never incorporated a line notch on the back of the spools for their full cage reels, a handy feature. Maybe possible infiltration of sand kept them from doing it? Don’t know. I like my JW Youngs that have it but don’t remember it on Hardy’s.

Post 08 Jul 2022, 08:08 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
A very observant point on the Hardy spools for full-frame reels. Never noticed that Hardy spools didn't have them. If there is an exception, somebody will come up with it. In the meantime, I'm guessing some may not be familiar with the "handy feature" Crusty mentioned, so here's an illustration/explanation. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15275&p=260162&hilit=notch+line#p260155

On the spindle cap mentioned above: a part that is replaceable is often repairable. Minor dents (as opposed to creases or jagged gouges) can be massaged back to contour with a hardwood block or rounded metal object and pressure or tapping from the inside once the part/cap has been removed. Use a soft resilitent surface underneath such as a leather or rubber pad. Similar to the way paintless dent removal is done on an automobile ding. Depends on the material; not sure it would work with that particular spindle cap, but can't hurt and might help.

Post 08 Jul 2022, 15:58 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting about the notch. I notice the new Medalist has a notch in the spool, too. Never knew what it was for, before now.

Post 20 Oct 2022, 08:31 • #19 
Sport
FYI. Reading Fly Shop in southern Missouri has a few in Dutchess in stock. If anyone is looking you might give them a call.
Vern

New Topic Add Reply