It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Jun 2022, 14:59 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
My uncle has an old Cortland 444 Ltd. Reel that has a lot of sentimental value to him. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been maintained in quite some time.

I’d like to clean it up for him, and I was planning on a similar method as in this thread on cleaning a Medalist. I used it a few years ago to get a 1494 in much better shape. I have Hot Sauce oil and grease on hand. It may also need other work, but unless that is fairly straightforward, I don’t plan on anything more than a thorough cleaning.

Are there any problems taking that route? Any other issues I should be aware of? Here are some pictures of the reel.

Thanks in advance.

Post 24 Jun 2022, 15:32 • #2 
Administrator
The reel looks a mess, but all the pieces and parts appear to be in good shape. I don't see why it won't clean up just fine.

Tom

Post 24 Jun 2022, 15:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I hope that Bulldog chimes in. His method works great, very similar to mine with older traditional reels. I do have one caveat with your reel. I’m not sure I’d be confident with the use of acid with decals. I’d probably go with a weak soap solution instead but Bulldog might be able to dispell that concern. Either way, I think you would do well to rinse with distilled or RO water afterword, followed by drying and lubrication to prevent corrosion later on.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 08:24 • #4 
Piscator
Start with boeshield and a toothbrush, sop everything you can with paper towels.
After that, read the reel cleaning tutorial.
Noteworthy, a long soak in soap is no good for bare aluminum. I would recommend at least a short vinegar bath, (good for the aluminum, then rinse, soap, rinse) after you do your best with boeshield and the toothbrush.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 13:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks. I’ll post pictures when I get it cleaned up.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 10:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Update: I followed bulldog’s advice and got after it with Boeshield, a toothbrush, and just a bit of diluted vinegar. Even after all that it was still seizing unpredictably. It turns out that the spindle screw had come loose as well. Now, it purrs, and the multiplier aspect is fun to see in action.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate being able to get this back in action.

Here is the result. My uncle will get it back at Thanksgiving.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 10:38 • #7 
Piscator
good job

Post 05 Nov 2022, 13:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks bulldog. I read your post on cleaning reels several times. It is a fantastic resource.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 15:59 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
One of my Cortland mulitpliers was binding a few months ago, when I got home and looked at it.............yup, spindle loose!

Great old reels

New Topic Add Reply