It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:33

New Topic Add Reply
Stutz Estuary Story
Post 05 Jun 2022, 16:50 • #1 
Guide
Here is another unusual reel that I just picked up. I started doing some research to find out some information about this reel. It turned up an interesting story about the man who developed this reel, Dave Inks. He is one of the pioneers of modern day fly fishing. Dave Inks grew up in Montana fishing the state’s great rivers. He has organized and guided fishing travel trips all over the world starting in the late 1960’s to the 1990’s. He is credited with a couple of saltwater fly fishing world records. Dave Inks started Federation of Fly Fishermen, Umpqua Feather Merchants, and developed neoprene waders. He brought thousands of people into fly fishing by teaching at both Fenwick and Orvis Fly Fishing Schools for years, as well as owning a large fly fishing shop in California’s bay area.
About 1980 Dave contacted Bill Stutz, a design engineer, about an idea he had to make a different type of fly reel. Working together they came up with a prototype reel. It was milled from a solid block of aluminum. To improve on their prototype they found a then unknown machinist by the name of Steve Abel. Abel made the first production run for them. It could be said that this was the early beginning of Steve Abel’s, Abel Quality Products. A company well known today as a leader in the fly fishing industry.
The reel they produced was the Stutz Estuary. It would be marketed by Crystal Mark Inc. of Glendale, CA. They were possibly made in three different sizes. It was made for Orvis as the Featherweight SSS in the 7-8wt size only in 1982. This is the reel I have but it is the Stutz Estuary. It is very well made and very light at 7.8oz with WF8-F +backing compared to 8wt disc drag reels of its time. (like a Martin MG8 at 9oz or Orvis Green Mountain II at 10oz) It has an all aluminum frame, stainless steel metal parts, anti-reverse, strong reel seat, unique 6 position disc drag controlled by a hard rubber pad on the bottom of the reel, L or R hand wind, and large spool handle. This reel was definitely designed to be used in saltwater. It looks like it could handle strong running fish. I included two ADs for this reel from 1982. Note the price ($239.50) I think that would make it a pretty expensive reel for 1982? I think the Orvis reel was $252.00.
Reel=3 1/4in dia. Spool=2 7/8in x 1inW x 1inD 5.5oz no line & 7.8oz with line
Capacity= WF9-F +200yds of backing
There is a post on the forum from April 25, 2013 that has some great pictures of the inside parts of this reel and how it works.
(Orvis SSS Featherweight-how it works) definitely worth looking at!
If anyone has any additional info or corrections please add them.

Re: Stutz Estuary Story
Post 06 Jun 2022, 08:58 • #2 
Piscator
caliper disc drag. Description of the clutch choice would be important (looks like a ratchet) - I'm always more interested in the mechanisms than the personalities in the back story.
Nice photos - thanks for posting.

Post 06 Jun 2022, 13:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the history lesson. Nice to know.

Barry

Post 06 Jun 2022, 22:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like you have a rare reel.It may be made for saltwater but I dont think largemouths would care. :)

Post 07 Jun 2022, 23:02 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
a solid bit of engineering, nice.

I notice the antireverse is copied from the Ambassadeur reels, with a little copper-toothed dog.. good idea. I've never had the dog fail me, had two anti-reverse bearings aka one-way clutch bearings, fail just this year.

Post 09 Jun 2022, 15:50 • #6 
The Stutz reels were type 3 anodized , a very hard finish that is really difficult to scratch .

There were 3 sizes - the SSS Estuary , The Pacific (a 10 wt. size , very rare) and the Bearcat (12 wt. , I've seen only 1 on the used market) .

Early models had serial numbers . The only design flaw was that the pawl would come loose at very high RPM's , so Stutz added a set of tiny 'wings' to the upgraded pawl . Most people don't realize that , besides the sliding brake/drag ..... you can press on the urethane rubber brake pad and add pressure , same effect as palming the spool . Other than the pawl flaw .... they are bomb proof , and hold up very well .

David

Post 10 Jun 2022, 06:45 • #7 
Piscator
doug in co wrote:
a solid bit of engineering, nice.

I notice the antireverse is copied from the Ambassadeur reels, with a little copper-toothed dog.. good idea. I've never had the dog fail me, had two anti-reverse bearings aka one-way clutch bearings, fail just this year.

I had to replace two of those dogs in my Lew's BB1-LNG over a couple of redfish decades.

I've heard of Lamson friction washer clutch giving up, but mine is going strong after 3 redfish decades - I did pick up a spare when Lamson ending support on LP reels made the internet skinny.

Post 10 Jun 2022, 18:02 • #8 
Guide
Thank you everyone for the comments.
I can’t believe I missed this when I cleaned the reel and took the pictures for the post. But when I was lubing it I noticed some hand engraving inside the frame below the reel seat. It says “S/N 113 Stutz”. I wondered if this reel was a first production reel? It doesn’t seem like they would hand engrave serial numbers on the hundreds of future reels they would make. Then I saw the great additional information that Sculpin65 (David) posted about serial numbers on the early reels. Also David thank you for confirming about the 3 models that were made and the trick about adding drag with the control pad! I also noticed on another reel, that I was able to see the inside parts, that the anti-reverse gear had 8 large teeth where as the one I have has 16 small teeth. Anyone have any guess or ideas about this?

Post 03 Oct 2023, 10:37 • #9 
Great info. I just came across this mint box set.

Post 03 Oct 2023, 13:04 • #10 
Guide
Gorgeous reel...and looks very sturdy

Post 03 Oct 2023, 19:32 • #11 
Guide
Seeing this post was brought back to life I will go ahead and add the Orvis SSS Featherweight 7-8(SSS= Salmon-Steelhead-Saltwater) clone that I now have.

Post 20 Oct 2023, 11:17 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
That is one crazy strange reel - lots of parts.
What an idea - good enough to sell it to Orvis too.

Thank you for sharing netman.

Post 21 Oct 2023, 10:11 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Neat. A sheer guess, but as to the "engraving" you would have to ask if a manufacturer would scratch it in so crudely in such an obscure location on the reel, off relative to the contours as well.

Post 30 Oct 2023, 10:01 • #14 
Piscator
Adding to what Steve posted here, bench marks go back to the beginning, for keeping already matched reel parts sorted through various finishing treatments.
Both Heaton and Smith & Wall artisans made some pretty crude ones. Both shops were located in Midlands.
Image Image

Heading north to Alnwick, Hardy, Bampton and Dingley shops used their punches for the same task.
Image Image

Engraving is certainly more decorative. Elected example likely made by a jeweler, and a vendor-added nameplate (Army & Navy CS Limited.)
Image Image

Post 04 Dec 2023, 18:51 • #15 
Mint in box, any idea of value?

Post 05 Dec 2023, 04:05 • #16 
Guide
Wow! Rick that is really an amazing find. The Stutz ad from 1982 above shows it at $259.50 with the hardwood box, spare parts kit, and manual. Yours has a spare spool also.
My guess is $250. reel, $100. spare spool, $50. spare parts kit, and $50. box & manual for a total of $450.
Also would it be possible to take off the spool and see if there is a serial number engraved in the location like the one in the picture above. It should be inside by the reel foot.

Post 05 Dec 2023, 08:31 • #17 

Post 05 Dec 2023, 13:45 • #18 
Guide
Rick, Thank you for the serial number picture. So the first production reels apparently did have the numbers hand engraved during manufacture. Yours having #126 must be early first production. My reel is #113.

Post 05 Dec 2023, 13:48 • #19 
Amazing reel for sure and great story behind it.

New Topic Add Reply