It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:39

New Topic Add Reply
Feurer Bros. #480 Taurus
Post 30 May 2022, 16:09 • #1 
Guide
Here is one that you don’t see that often that I just picked up. It is a Feurer Bros. #480 Taurus from the mid 60’s. Feurer Bros. bought Airex in 1962 or 63 and the reel was originally an Airex #380 Taurus finished in dark gray. Feurer Bros. changed the number to 480 and finished them in light olive green. In their later years of production (late 60’s - early 70’s) the body & spool were ventilated with holes and finished in black. They were advertised as being corrosion proof for use in saltwater. Not many saltwater fly rodders in those days. Some of the early pioneers of saltwater flyfishing used these reels. I included a photo of a page from a 1967 Feurer Bros. catalog with a picture of Joe Brooks and his world record tarpon (148lbs) caught on this reel. This reel has some very unique design features: drag control is at base of spool knob and anti-reverse with left or right hand wind settings which allows for flipping over the spool without having to rewind line direction.
Reel= 3 3/4in. Dia. Spool= 3 1/8in Dia x 1in W x 1 1/8oz.D 12.2oz with No Line / 10wt
I am looking forward to trying it out on some local tuna and pacific yellowtail.
Does anyone have one or fished with one?

Post 30 May 2022, 19:27 • #2 
Guide
Wow...gorgeous

Post 31 May 2022, 07:19 • #3 
Piscator
We've always given credit for the offset pancake drag to Orvis. Looks like you have an earlier example for us.
It's in the knob stack in your reel, which is also a planetary multiplier.

Looking forward to photos with fish.

Two warning places with really big fish and fly tackle. Reel seat bands can rip apart, and foot screws can pull out.
When my friend Scott Graham was guiding tarpon, he averaged two/month.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 31 May 2022, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 May 2022, 08:49 • #4 
Guide
NetMan wrote:
This reel has some very unique design features: drag control is at base of spool knob and anti-reverse with left or right hand wind settings which allows for flipping over the spool without having to rewind line direction.

Being able to flip over the spool without having to rewind line direction seems like a pretty good trick in itself!

Post 07 Jun 2022, 23:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
drag control on spool knob seems a good idea to me.. futzing with the drag knob on the far side of the reel while fighting a fish is always a bore.
I have a couple of reels where the drag is set with a lever or slider, the Abu Delta and a JW Young, like those a lot.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 18:16 • #6 
Administrator
I have the earlier Airex version. Mine is in rougher shape. When I received it, the offset drag was clogged with salt and corrosion. The design is interesting, but the materials still needed some tweeking. Note the handle screw is lettered, "LH THD" for left hand thread. The casting marks on both reels look the same, but the finish on the Feurer Bros. reel appears to be thicker.

Tom

Post 12 Jun 2022, 18:57 • #7 
Guide
Tom, Thank You for pointing out the LHT on the knob screw. I had not notice that yet and fortunately have not tried to take it off.
Nice to see photos of the Airex model.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 22:40 • #8 
Administrator
Last time I tried to disassemble the drag assembly, it would not budge. The LH THD screw (the winding knob spindle) turned and turned, but went nowhere. I gave up, washed out the salt, and threw the reel in a box.

The spindle gear assembly is held in place by a simple split ring (first photo) on top of a washer stack. In the middle is a ball bearing thrust washer to keep the spindle gear aligned (second photo). The spindle gear, winding knob, and drag adjustment knob all appear to be nylon.

In reality, the winding knob spindle (part 1 in the third photo) was pressed/swaged into the drag cover (part 2). There is no sign of a thread. This explains the return for service note in the reel instructions (original post, last image). The drag washers (part 3) are leather. The drag adjustment knob turns the threaded nut into the hole in the cover plate, which compresses the spring, which in turn compresses the drag stack. My drag adjustment knob is cracked and will need repair before reassembly.

Other than the screws, spring, and a couple of washers, none of the parts are magnetic - not even the drag gear (part 4). I may have to send the reel to bulldog1935 to identify the metals. I think some are stainless steel and others are copper alloys. This reel was not designed for typical owner maintenance.

Tom

Post 13 Jun 2022, 07:42 • #9 
Piscator
thanks for the photos Tom - thrust bearing is a great addition on a winding plate reel.

New Topic Add Reply