It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 May 2022, 21:37 • #1 
I just acquired a Shakespeare 1900 HE Trout steelhead fly reel. It doesn't seem to have much of a drag. Just wondering if anyone knows if it might be missing a disc or if the springs or pawls need to be reconfigured? Or maybe if a parts manual exists.
I also have a Shakespeare Ausable, same problem, not much of a drag.
Any info or direction would be appreciated.
Thank You

Post 15 May 2022, 22:45 • #2 
Piscator
I believe the Model HE has the covered backplate.
You can spread the springs and set-temper them in your oven at 350oF. The springs have been relaxing since before WWII.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7179
I'm also pretty sure the button on the back plate is a panic button drag - should have a wool felt pad on it to press into the spool for finger drag.

Post 16 May 2022, 14:32 • #3 
I spread the spring apart for the shoe drag, seemed to make a
big difference. Being a novice I didn't understand the concept
of the finger drag but I figured that out and it probably works better than the disc drag on my Teton once I get used to it. Not sure about the button on the back plate, there doesn't seem to be any play in that at all to move. Not seeing the wool felt pad anywhere but when I push in on the spool drag works good. How can I find out where exactly the wool felt pad goes if it had one, can these be purchased or something I need to make up?

Post 16 May 2022, 16:18 • #4 
Piscator
If you want the spring to keep, you need to set temper as I described - otherwise, it will creep back faster.
All the spring needs is a 15-min soak at 350 F.
I've never had a Model HE or AuSable, but certainly no parts are available.

The winding plate is removed by holding the spool and rotating the winding plate CCW.
The frame is opened up and the spool removed by removing one set (side) of the pillar screws.
I recommend hollow-ground (gunsmith) screwdriver bit properly fit to the screw slot.

Post 16 May 2022, 23:26 • #5 
Thank You very much for the info, I will give the the temper treatment a try. After trying out the finger drag I am pretty happy with that and am looking forward to hooking a steelhead with the reel.

New Topic Add Reply