It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:34

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Dec 2008, 11:18 • #1 
Guide
My first exposure to the Holmes perfect reels came from the archives of the forum -- so in hopes of adding to the information base I wanted to share these photos and comments.
I don't claim any special knowledge nor expertise -- but perhaps this may be of help and interest to other members.

First up is a 3" reel marked for Abercrombie and Fitch -- the interesting features are the dished face of the spool, the grey finish, honey plastic winding handle.
This is a very pretty little reel.

Note how the spool removes from the spindle and if you look at the spindle see the cut-away for an oil reservoir. Inside the reel body see the hole through which the oil is installed.

Next up is a 3 3/8" reel with a similar grey finish -- but with polished rims. The spring on this model is softer than the 3" or the next 3 3/8" giving a noticeable audible difference.
This reel and the next both have the same oil reservoir we are familiar with from the archives and the spindle attaches to the spool.

Third reel is another 3 3/8" but with a darker grey finish which also extends to the rims. This model has an aluminum winding handle.

A photo of the feet -- the one 3 3/8' foot is longer and more square on the ends.

And finally a family/group photo.

Last edited by dennis on 20 Dec 2008, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Dec 2008, 11:45 • #2 
Global Moderator
Dennis,
Beautiful reels! Where and who made them? Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Doug

Post 20 Dec 2008, 12:03 • #3 
Guide
Doug,
Thank you.
They were made by LW Holmes of Oronoque, Conn. I understand late 40's to early 1950's.
As I mentioned, I have no expertise -- one of the forum members is a collector and the expert.
There is more info in the archives if you search under holmes.

Dennis

Post 20 Dec 2008, 18:03 • #4 
Piscator
the hollow spindle is a reservoir for oil, with the winding plate capping the reservoir.
There are angular bleed holes in the spindle to feed oil to the bushing
It's a great design. Unfortunately, too many of these reels were run dry or lubed with grease and ended up with pretty bad wobble.

Image Image

Image Image

Post 21 Dec 2008, 05:30 • #5 
Emeritus
Great reels. Thanks for posting. I've got a couple of questions; What are they made of? What type of finish do they have? What do they weight?

Post 21 Dec 2008, 06:18 • #6 
Administrator
dennis ... that is a good looking set of Holmes reels you have.

Post 21 Dec 2008, 08:00 • #7 
Piscator
they're made from aluminum with some type of enamel for the finish.

Post 21 Dec 2008, 08:23 • #8 
Guide
Cameron, thanks -- my photos of the 3" don't show the dished face of the spool very well -- an especially attractive feature.
Curious to know if all the 3" were made with the different lubrication system.

Last edited by dennis on 21 Dec 2008, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Dec 2008, 09:07 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I own 7 of these reels and they all have the same lubrication system.
The reels I have have been purchased in various degrees of used condition.
None of them have the slightest amount of play or run out!
Several of my pals have these reels and none of them have any play or run out either!
How about yours any problems?

This is from the Original advertisement

"The Holmes Fly Reel is made of a special aluminum alloy for lightness ,heat treated for strength and durability ,a reel that will give you plenty of service. "
FEATURES
1, Shaft and gear are made of steel.hardened and ground.
2, Gear teeth are precision machine cut.
3,The " check or pawl " is hardened and ground and so designed that no sticking in gear is possible.
4, All parts are precision made and interchangeable.
5, Furnished in either Satin Finish or Highly Polished.
6, Manufactured by a company known for it's quality workmanship.
7, Made in 2 sizes.

Model H-1 3.3/8" Diameter ,3/4' width between plates, 30-40 yards line capacity ,6 oz weight price $25.00
Model H-2 3" Diameter ,3/4' width between plates, 35 yards line capacity ,5,1/2 oz weight price $20.00

L.W. Holmes Company
A Product Of Connecticut
Oronoque (Stratford Connecticut ) tel Bridgeport 7-0716
Selling Agents
Horrocks-Ibbotson Co Utica N.Y. "

I found several differences in the reels I have and the ones I have handled in addition to the differences in the knob also some have adtional groves cut in the frame also one was chrome plated.
One thing they all have in common is they are truly precession made and they all function like the day they were new.

Tight Lines and Connecticut Made Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Dec 2008, 09:18 • #10 
Guide
Andy,
No, none of mine have any wobble issue. One of the 3 3/8 required more clean-up of dried lubricant -- but they all work very well.
So of the seven you have none of them have the lubrication system of the 3" reel I have?
Do your 3" reels have a dished face spool?

Thanks for the added information.

Dennis

Post 21 Dec 2008, 10:43 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very interesting!
None of mine have the hole, also the center spindle is attached to the spool on all of mine!
Look at Bulldogs photo above of the reel I purchased from him a few years ago to see what I am referring to.
Also the way the frame is machined differs slightly between some of mine as well.
And get this I just noticed on the original advertisement I have,It shows the the spindle on the plate like your reel rather than the spool like all my reels.
Wow this is fun! , I'm glad you posted your reels and got me looking closer.
I'm not surprised that none of your reels have wobble or run out considering the heat treating process, precision manufacturing,etc
I'm not seeing what you mean by dish faced?
I sent you a PM.
Tight Lines and Revision Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Dec 2008, 12:42 • #12 
Guide
More details ...
The lubricating system on the 3 inch reel is NOT the hollow spindle style. The spindle is attached to the winding plate and there is a cut-away on the spindle which serves as an oil reservoir. The oil is installed through a hole in the hub.

Here you see the familiar hollow spindle style on the left and the cut-away reservoir on the right.

The face of the spool is dished like a Hardy perfect -- on the other Holmes reels I have the spool face is flat. If this were a pewter plate -- it would have been "spun" and bent out to create the effect.

Installed the dish effect appears even greater due to the frame taper.

If anyone has any other variations on the reel it would be fun to see.

Dennis

Post 21 Dec 2008, 13:45 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Dennis
Now I see what you are talking about with the dish effect!
I checked my reels and they are all pretty flat.
This dish effect may be an effect of the spindle location and a reason that they made the change?
Very interesting It will be interesting to see what others come up with.
Hey Snook got your ears on buddy?
Tight Lines and Holmes Loops
Andy M

L.W. Holmes Click Pawl 3 1/8" Diameter, 5/8" Wide Spool, 1.1/8" Over Width ,Click Pawl On Off Switch, 4 OZ Weight.
ImageImageImage

Hello Post Script the flat you see on the spindle may not be for an oil res they could be to tighten the spindle to the plate?
Andy M

Post 22 Dec 2008, 00:50 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
An interesting discussion. My dial-up is so slow this morning that I didn't check the reel papers discussion, but I don't recall seeing some of this info there. Hoping Andy will post some of the marketing description and specs there. You know, these weren't the fanciest reels in the world, but well made. The experience reported here reminds me that most sporting equipment--the same is true of firearms and any number of other non-sporting mechanical devices--is far better than some owners' ability or care in using it. What we see in this old stuff that has deteriorated is usually neglect rather than design or materials problems. Here we are full of advice on cleaning up old reels and lubricating them ideally--all very useful if we acquire an old neglected reel. Yet the bottom line with fishing reels is that most of that would rarely be necessary if the average user just wiped the darn thing clean and put one drop of oil on the spindle and one drop on any moving part in the drag mechanism after each day's use, or even just every week or so. Between these two application points, it would spread to anywhere else needed. Far better care than most fishing reels endure. Simple, simple, simple. Ironically, as with high-end autos that have a reputation for quality and durability, it is often "the best" that is the most neglected, because people think they are immune from the need of preventive maintenance. There's no mystery at all in placing a couple drops of oil on a fly reel, but there's a mystery to me why anybody would--to cite a common example--so neglect a Hardy reel--precision fit spool-to-spindle--that the spool seizes on the lubricant starved spindle. A drop of oil, a dab of grease and just about any reel should last and last like Andy's Holmes did.

Post 22 Dec 2008, 09:46 • #15 
Guide
Andy wrote "Hello Post Script the flat you see on the spindle may not be for an oil res they could be to tighten the spindle to the plate?
Andy M "

Andy, the cut-away may have served an additional purpose -- but I would think it is primarily an oil reservoir. Usually if the shaft is machined to accept a wrench it is flat on opposing sides. This is only a single cut-away at an angle and is 180 degrees from the handle -- and it is the main bearing area of the spindle. If this was an early version of the lubrication system perhaps they changed it because it is prone to weeping.
This 3" reel is marked for Abercombie and Fitch -- who also retailed Hardy reels -- so a dished face spool would more closely resemble the Hardy perfect.
Just some thoughts.

Dennis

Post 22 Dec 2008, 12:03 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Dennis
My comment on the flat was just thinking out loud and I agree that is more likely for the oil res.
I noticed something else the spindle threads pertrude from the face of the reel.
This seems strange that a company known for precision workmanship would have the threads do that.
I wonder if the thread sticks out the same amount that the plate is dish shaped?
Just some more to consider.
I sent your envelope today with copy's of everything I have on these reels.
Tight Lines and Interesting Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Dec 2008, 12:20 • #17 
Guide
Andy,
Yes, I think it is good to think out loud on some of the differences --
As for the threads extending beyond the face of the spool -- another "wonder why?" -- there's probably enough thread exposed to allow fitment of a cap nut so the reel could be used left hand wind ...

Dennis

Post 22 Dec 2008, 12:43 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Now that's a great thought!
I am a right handed winder so I didn't even consider that possibility.
Bet you could put a cap nut on the stud and reel lefty!
Very interesting indeed!
Tight Lines and Left Handed Holmes? Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Dec 2008, 15:04 • #19 
Administrator
Interesting photos and discussion. I've never fished with a Holmes, a Hardy Perfect, or similar Perfect style reel so pardon my perhaps ignorant question. Can a fisherman easily feather the side of the spool to put more pressure on a fish? Or could this cause issues with unscrewing the spindle?

Tom

Post 22 Dec 2008, 15:11 • #20 
Piscator
the whole point of a perfect is palm-breaking the exposed spool face.
I have been horsing around some big trout this winter on a JW Young perfect.
You can also put the total brakes on by putting a hand-clamp on the reel - your palm on the spool and your thumb on the winding plate.
You can surprise yourself that way

Post 28 Dec 2008, 15:02 • #21 
Hi folks: my first time on this forum but I'm glad I found it. I'm editor of The Reel News, the magazine of the Old Reel Collectors Association. I researched and wrote an article about Holmes and his reels that was published 6-8 years ago in The Reel News. I'll post a couple of excerpts from it when I get a chance to dig through my back issues. Holmes made reels in Ororonoque, Conn. (a section of the city of Stratford) for a little over 5 years from just after WWII until the erly 1950s, when he died. He made and sold reels through H&I and made one some reels that he marked Abercrombie & Fitch, for sale through that New York outfitter. Lesley Holmes made several trout sized fly reels, a couple of salmon reels and at least one very unique and beautifully engineered bait casting reel, which is very hard to find. I've found some paper on the company but never found a comprehensive catalog on Holmes reels. I hope this info helps somewhat. All in all, L.W. Holmes made some really fine reels that fit into a mid-priced market, looked like their more expensive brethren and work well today for catching fish.
Richard Lodge

Post 28 Dec 2008, 15:11 • #22 
Piscator
Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum.
We are looking forward to your contribution.
Ron Mc

Post 28 Dec 2008, 15:11 • #23 
Guide
Richard,
Welcome to the forum -- look forward to seeing any information you might post.

Dennis

Post 29 Dec 2008, 05:52 • #24 
Guide
Quote:
RKL wrote:
Hi folks: my first time on this forum but I'm glad I found it. I'm editor of The Reel News, the magazine of the Old Reel Collectors Association. I researched and wrote an article about Holmes and his reels that was published 6-8 years ago in The Reel News. I'll post a couple of excerpts from it when I get a chance to dig through my back issues. Holmes made reels in Ororonoque, Conn. (a section of the city of Stratford) for a little over 5 years from just after WWII until the erly 1950s, when he died. He made and sold reels through H&I and made one some reels that he marked Abercrombie & Fitch, for sale through that New York outfitter. Lesley Holmes made several trout sized fly reels, a couple of salmon reels and at least one very unique and beautifully engineered bait casting reel, which is very hard to find. I've found some paper on the company but never found a comprehensive catalog on Holmes reels. I hope this info helps somewhat. All in all, L.W. Holmes made some really fine reels that fit into a mid-priced market, looked like their more expensive brethren and work well today for catching fish.
Richard Lodge

Any chance there's anything in The Reel News about Stuart Reels?

V/R,

Josh

Post 29 Dec 2008, 06:03 • #25 
Piscator
http://orca-online.org/reel_news_index.htm

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply